Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread III: Insert clever title here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
as the head of the Klefbom fan club--he keeps getting injured and it is never the same injury twice in a row

He missed 52 games this year
something like 16 games last year
20+ games the year before
and he was injured nearly his entire last year in Sweden
This was my point. His durability at a young age is a huge question mark as he hasn't had a healthy season since being drafted

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
as the head of the Klefbom fan club--he keeps getting injured and it is never the same injury twice in a row

He missed 52 games this year
something like 16 games last year
20+ games the year before
and he was injured nearly his entire last year in Sweden

This is the problem with Klefbom. He's been so injured that we don't even know how good of a dman we have because he hasn't played enough. Was his play this year a fluke? Does he slip next year coming off the infection and inability to workout/practice over the summer? Is his skating effected due to this infection? Just so many unknowns and he has a longterm 4.1M dollar contract to boot. We better hope he doesn't regress from what we've seen out of him already. The long term contract to an unproven dman with one good season under his belt is so Kevin Lowe. See Tom Gilbert for reference.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
This is the problem with Klefbom. He's been so injured that we don't even know how good of a dman we have because he hasn't played enough. Was his play this year a fluke? Does he slip next year coming off the infection and inability to workout/practice over the summer? Is his skating effected due to this infection? Just so many unknowns and he has a longterm 4.1M dollar contract to boot. We better hope he doesn't regress from what we've seen out of him already. The long term contract to an unproven dman with one good season under his belt is so Kevin Lowe. See Tom Gilbert for reference.

Klef never lost the ability to work out and continued doing so heavily while he was out, so much so that he's in the best shape he's ever been apparently. He was also skating quite a bit before the season ended. Chia said in his post season interview that had the team been playing for a couple more weeks that Klef would have been back playing. I'm personally not concerned about his health at all right now.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
"Sept 2/11: Swedish Oil: Klefbom was unlucky enough to get cut on his thigh by an ice skate, the wound was sewn with ten stitches, and when the stitches were removed there was an infection. Now Klefbom is on penicillin which also prohibits him from playing.
Nov 14/11: Sami Hoffrén: Klefbom was hit to the head by a Russian forward and he had to leave the game. Didn’t play in the tournament after that hit. I assume Klefbom suffered a concussion.
Oct 9/12: he lost his season to a shoulder injury. Oscar Klefbom: “It happened on Oct. 9 playing against Vaxjo,†Klefbom said. “I dumped the puck in the offensive zone and I got a small hit from behind and I lost my balance and I flew into the boards. I had to catch myself with my left arm. Afterwards, I couldn’t feel my arm, it was like a dead arm. I didn’t know what happened.â€
Sept 12/13: Oilers announce they are following concussion protocol after Klefbom is injured in the U of A game.
2013-14: He spent various portions of the season out of the lineup with injury. "

http://thehockeywriters.com/what-should-the-edmonton-oilers-do-with-oscar-klefbom/

Some people are just injury prone. 10 stitches turning into infection, cut on foot turns into staph infection. A small hit turns into shoulder injury. so on and so forth.
A couple concussions already as well.

Thank you for writing this. I have said many times Klefbom has significant time lost to various injuries and always get a "no he hasn't".

I was always too lazy to go gather the separate occasions together to refute the mass of Klefbom fans.

Not even officially saying he is injury prone. But it certainly effects his development, value, and overall effectiveness.

If he didn't finally have an outstanding stint of hockey against premium opposition I would still be pushing him as the most overhyped player the oilers have had in generations.

Gretzky to Kurri

May 9, 2015
This was my point. His durability at a young age is a huge question mark as he hasn't had a healthy season since being drafted

Not sure it's a matter of 'durability'.
Those injuries would affect most people the same, minus the head injuries. The shoulder injury from the 'small hit' that lead to the shoulder injury was not likely a matter of durability. Being caught unaware and catching ones self is the most common reason for cuff tears we see at our clinic.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I can Klefbom flat out blowing people away next year. Didnt get the playing time this year, but was working out like a mad man and got to watch all the games from upstairs and learn from that. Obviously in game experience trumps all. But its not like he was sitting around eating cheetohs.

Typically NHL players get 2/3 months of work out time in offseason, and thats after 7-8 months of hockey. Klefbom since June of last year will have likely 9 months of work out time. Hell be a machine next year. Hell have to get his legs under him and adjust to speed, but he could be around 6'3 220 for next season.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'm not really concerned about his "durability".

I am definitely concerned about how much development time he's lost over the past 5 years post-draft, which is time he can never get back. Even if he stays relatively healthy from now until the conclusion of his pro career, he'll probably never be as good as he could have been had those early injuries never happened.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Thank you for writing this. I have said many times Klefbom has significant time lost to various injuries and always get a "no he hasn't".

I was always too lazy to go gather the separate occasions together to refute the mass of Klefbom fans.

Not even officially saying he is injury prone. But it certainly effects his development, value, and overall effectiveness.

If he didn't finally have an outstanding stint of hockey against premium opposition I would still be pushing him as the most overhyped player the oilers have had in generations.

Well I mean he gets hyped because he can do that... Got hype because he played top pairing opposition in SEL at 19, got hype for being named best D at WJCs ( a mark typically only future top pairing D get). That was justified hype before he even hit NA ice. Gets added hype for his remarkable play in NHL

I will call bologna his development was significantly impacted. If an injured Klefbom looks this good, a healthy and full developed Klefbom would be Victor Hedman

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

People saying he's not injury prone because of a few fluke injuries isn't the same thing as people disputing that he's had injuries

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

This is what I think as well. He hasn't played a full year. We've seen guys play a full year and then take a huge step back. We've also seen guys look good in limited games, but as soon as they play a lot of minutes over a full season they can't hack it.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
"Sept 2/11: Swedish Oil: Klefbom was unlucky enough to get cut on his thigh by an ice skate, the wound was sewn with ten stitches, and when the stitches were removed there was an infection. Now Klefbom is on penicillin which also prohibits him from playing.
Nov 14/11: Sami Hoffrén: Klefbom was hit to the head by a Russian forward and he had to leave the game. Didn’t play in the tournament after that hit. I assume Klefbom suffered a concussion.
Oct 9/12: he lost his season to a shoulder injury. Oscar Klefbom: “It happened on Oct. 9 playing against Vaxjo,” Klefbom said. “I dumped the puck in the offensive zone and I got a small hit from behind and I lost my balance and I flew into the boards. I had to catch myself with my left arm. Afterwards, I couldn’t feel my arm, it was like a dead arm. I didn’t know what happened.”
Sept 12/13: Oilers announce they are following concussion protocol after Klefbom is injured in the U of A game.
2013-14: He spent various portions of the season out of the lineup with injury. "

http://thehockeywriters.com/what-should-the-edmonton-oilers-do-with-oscar-klefbom/

Some people are just injury prone. 10 stitches turning into infection, cut on foot turns into staph infection. A small hit turns into shoulder injury. so on and so forth.
A couple concussions already as well.

Shoulder injuries (joint laxity), concussions (brain volume, ???), and soft tissue infections (diabetes, compromised immune system) all have vastly differing mechanisms of injury. I'd be a little worried about the concussions, but not overly so, and I certainly wouldn't label him as injury prone this early in his career unless one of those things keeps happening.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
what is starting to concern me is that it is never the same injury twice and a small injury ended up costing him the complete year--he is snake bitten

Logically that's a good thing. He doesn't have a bum shoulder or a shot knee. He's had some bad luck so far in his career, but that doesn't mean he's just destined to have bad luck forever.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Klef never lost the ability to work out and continued doing so heavily while he was out, so much so that he's in the best shape he's ever been apparently. He was also skating quite a bit before the season ended. Chia said in his post season interview that had the team been playing for a couple more weeks that Klef would have been back playing. I'm personally not concerned about his health at all right now.

I don't know how you so squat, or run when you can't even put a skate on your foot. He may have worked on his upper body but hockey is all about lower body strength. I think its a legitimate worry.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Shoulder injuries (joint laxity), concussions (brain volume, ???), and soft tissue infections (diabetes, compromised immune system) all have vastly differing mechanisms of injury. I'd be a little worried about the concussions, but not overly so, and I certainly wouldn't label him as injury prone this early in his career unless one of those things keeps happening.

I was just going to ask if anyone knew if he was diabetic. Would explain the infections.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
what is starting to concern me is that it is never the same injury twice and a small injury ended up costing him the complete year--he is snake bitten

Two things: first, I'd be more concerned if he had a recurring injury instead of being the victim of dumb luck (unless you believe he's the victim of a gyspy curse), and second, that "small injury" was a nasty infection that meant he couldn't even put his skate on because his ankle was swollen and bleeding.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I don't know how you so squat, or run when you can't even put a skate on your foot. He may have worked on his upper body but hockey is all about lower body strength. I think its a legitimate worry.

There were points where he could put his skate in a boot but the act of skating caused the skin to get irritated again. He should've been able to squat and do plyometrics.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Shoes didn't appear to be an issue. It was skates. He was suppose to go to Montreal to get custom fit skates after the season, but I never heard anything about it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I thought I read the infection was in and around his ankle and lower leg, not so much his foot. If that's the case a skate would be much harder to wear than a shoe would and the pressure points and snug fit would just make it worse.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

people said the same thing about taylor hall but i think he shed those

head stomps and fluke ankle breaks

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

You don't have to wear shoes to squat...

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Shoes didn't appear to be an issue. It was skates. He was suppose to go to Montreal to get custom fit skates after the season, but I never heard anything about it.

Sure, but if there was that much irritation there I just don't see the guy being able to run 3 miles daily. He could maybe do squats but even then with and infection in his ankle I think it's more then likely he didn't because of the pressure put on your ankle while squatting. Plyometrics again would put a ton of pressure on an infected ankle. I just don't see him being able to do much lower body work without the infection in his ankle becoming a problem.

freedomisamyth

Nov 10, 2010

We've already been told that he's in the best shape of his life due to how much he worked out while off. His issue was that the skate kept rubbing on the wound, causing it to not heal, and get re-infected. Probably not hard to find shoes that don't rub right there.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
We've already been told that he's in the best shape of his life due to how much he worked out while off. His issue was that the skate kept rubbing on the wound, causing it to not heal, and get re-infected. Probably not hard to find shoes that don't rub right there.

Thats the problem. If theres a wound and infection on/in his ankle, it won't heal with movement. Which is why I don't think he could have been doing a lot of cardio and lower body exercises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->