Rumoured deal benefits small-market teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
e-townchamps said:
Beauty...a "storied frachise" that hasn't won a cup since there was a 1 in 6 chance of winning one.

let's see 9 mil for Sundin who getting older and slower by the second or 7 mil for Jarome Iginla, the ultimate power forward (and I loathe the Flames!) who's still only 27
you guys are aslo tied up in grandpa Belfour's salary for 3 years

1) Iginla is not signed to a 7 million dollar a year contract.

2) Belfour is signed for 2 years not 3.

3) Sundin is and has been consistintly our best player year in and year out

4) Toronto is a storied franchaise, all original 6 teams are.

5) With your attitude I doubt you were even born when the oilers last won their cup.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
OilerFan4Life said:
I hate the flames and all, but to say that Calgary is close to the cap is about the silliest thing you can say. Take into account the rollback and the potential franchise tag and Calgarys payroll along with average team age might be half of Torontos.

Oh there is an agreement in place?

Could I please see a source?

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Ok people, easy on the Leaf bashing here. Someone apparently took too much offense to it, and added me to MSN Messenger and made a threat. Here's the threat.

Monday morning you sure look fine....Friday, I got travelling on my mind says:
keep up the leaf bashing Brad you will end up with a bullet in your ******* head loser

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
OilerFan4Life said:
I hate the flames and all, but to say that Calgary is close to the cap is about the silliest thing you can say. Take into account the rollback and the potential franchise tag and Calgarys payroll along with average team age might be half of Torontos.

the flames are young and all but I doubt there average age is 14-16

Phanuthier*

NataSatan666 said:
Yes we should just allow other teams to sign our players. A rather weak argument since Calgary is pretty close to the cap too. Maybe Calgary shouldn't resign Igilna right?
Iginla wasn't resigned. He's currently a FA.

You also missed the part about a salary rollback too I'm guessing.

SENSible1*

me2 said:
Most likely is the Leafs cut back to around $45-46m+ Sundin's $9m. $55m payroll and $6m in tax. If 6 other teams do something similar that's $36m divided by 24 other teams. $1.5/team in distributed tax. Even if its divided between just 12 teams its still only $3m. Better than nothing, but they won't be getting rich. Average tax exempt payroll will be $46-50m ($40m + $6-10m franchise player).

And this is before factoring in a salary rollback, there might be next to no tax money for the lesser clubs.

The rumoured deal is far too favourable for the teams that got the NHL into this mess in the first place. If the real deal looks anything like this, the players have scored a massive win.

I understand why the big spending team's fans are in favour, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
SSJTOM said:
1) Iginla is not signed to a 7 million dollar a year contract.

2) Belfour is signed for 2 years not 3.

3) Sundin is and has been consistintly our best player year in and year out

4) Toronto is a storied franchaise, all original 6 teams are.

5) With your attitude I doubt you were even born when the oilers last won their cup.

1) with the old CBA, he would've (I know he doesnt have a deal)

2)2 or 3...doesn't matter. he's 40 years old!

3)I'd argue that Belfour was your MVP....without him, you don't win against the Sens

4)I agree

5)yes I was born...I was born for all 5 cups

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
leafs4thecup said:
A 77 year old team that has won 13 cups and has the largest fan base(for hockey) in the world. More than the Habs. More than the Wings.

IF there is a thirty game season, with the Leafs avoiding the injury plague, they will win the Cup, and some of you trolls can finally shut your mouths.

Maybe if it was a 30 game season starting in October this would be the case. But less then half the leafs are playing anywhere right now. While most teams have 3 quarters of there team playing in a competitive league at the moment. These teams will benefit greatly by being in game shape. The leafs lack of players in game shape could hurt them greatley.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Splatman Phanutier said:
Iginla wasn't resigned. He's currently a FA.

You also missed the part about a salary rollback too I'm guessing.

Again until its signed, it's just speculation. I highly doubt the players will give in to a cap and still offer the rollbacks.

And since the owners have mentioned a 28 year old UFA start. Maybe you will have to be looking for another captain if he is still a free agent.

Wouldn't it just be funny if Calgary is hedging on a cap and they then lose Ignilna because of it to a team like the Penguins.

Thats the problem with hard caps. I would find all sorts of fault if the Leafs went out and signed UFA's before the lockout, but they just resigned their own players. Isn't that was you are supposed to do in professional sports?

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
NataSatan666 said:
Again until its signed, it's just speculation. I highly doubt the players will give in to a cap and still offer the rollbacks.

And since the owners have mentioned a 28 year old UFA start. Maybe you will have to be looking for another captain if he is still a free agent.

Wouldn't it just be funny if Calgary is hedging on a cap and they then lose Ignilna because of it to a team like the Penguins.

Thats the problem with hard caps. I would find all sorts of fault if the Leafs went out and signed UFA's before the lockout, but they just resigned their own players. Isn't that was you are supposed to do in professional sports?

Dude they gave a 40 year old goalie 14 million.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
....annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyways now that were done talking how great/crappy the leafs are..

ill like any deal that makes hockey happen. nuff said.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
FreshBrew said:
....annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyways now that were done talking how great/crappy the leafs are..

ill like any deal that makes hockey happen. nuff said.

if theres no cap, how would that help the nucks???? You have yet to experience UFA with your star players my friend.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
OilerFan4Life said:
Hey by the time this lockout is over it will be great-grandpa Belfour. Anyways if the leafs won the cup, it would be a heart warming feel good story for Ranger fans as it would prove, that you can actually Buy the stanley cup.

Yeah and Oilers fans will see what a real Stanley cup celebration looks like.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
OilerFan4Life said:
if theres no cap, how would that help the nucks???? You have yet to experience UFA with your star players my friend.

The Canucks will be just fine. I hate being grouped into this troubled Canadian franchise talk. Vancouver was one of the only teams in the green last year and will continue to be profitable (thanks in large part to Brian Burke, god bless him). Do you notice the Canucks have a habit of locking players down to longterm contracts before they hit UFA status (ie/ Naslund, Bertuzzi, Jovo). If Naslund leaves to Sweden so be it, that opens up a bit of salary room and rumour has it Paul Kariya wouldn't mind playing at home on our first line. Thanks to the manueverings of Burke and now Nonis we are actually in fairly solid position even for a low cap figure. And before someone mentions how mere season ago Vancouver was in the threat of moving...you're right, they were. Thankfully this is now...not then.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
westcoast said:
The Canucks will be just fine. I hate being grouped into this troubled Canadian franchise talk. Vancouver was one of the only teams in the green last year and will continue to be profitable (thanks in large part to Brian Burke, god bless him). Do you notice the Canucks have a habit of locking players down to longterm contracts before they hit UFA status (ie/ Naslund, Bertuzzi, Jovo). If Naslund leaves to Sweden so be it, that opens up a bit of salary room and rumour has it Paul Kariya wouldn't mind playing at home on our first line. Thanks to the manueverings of Burke and now Nonis we are actually in fairly solid position even for a low cap figure. And before someone mentions how mere season ago Vancouver was in the threat of moving...you're right, they were. Thankfully this is now...not then.

Eventually you will be called "the problem" Just can't win these days

Brent Burns Beard