Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Last I checked we have 4 centers under control for 4-5 years. You can argue that Little might not be a 2c for long but where else are you going to put him unless you shift around Lowry and Copp

Dirty30

Feb 12, 2012
Not that they necessary need to, but I wonder if Chevy and the Jets are pursuing any of the FA college players available.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Not that they necessary need to, but I wonder if Chevy and the Jets are pursuing any of the FA college players available.

They very well might be, but I imagine that Jets are a hard sell right now in this unique case. For UFA college players they are coming out of college at usually 22-24 years old. They know they have really only 1-3 years to establish themselves as NHL regulars or they are going to be passed on and out to Europe or AHL lifers whether or not they had legitimate NHL talent or not. That's just the way of it. So right now the deep Jets organization cannot look like an attractive place to join.

That's not to say that they won't get anyone, everyone loves joining a winning organization. But it's less likely right now, IMO. Now if the Jets become a winning team but end up having to move out alot of depth in coming years, that is when you'll see Jets getting these college UFA's. Much like how Pittsburgh has done. Not only a winning team where players can move up, but also a place with not alot of depth so those players are more likely to get a chance quickly.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I could see wpg attractive to dmen. Quite thin on backend.

I would add goalies to the list. Hutch will be gone, Mason will be injured :sarcasm:, I don't see an NHL future for Comrie or Phillips, and Berdin still has much to prove. Of course, the last time we went fishing in this pond, we ended up with Olkinuora so...

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I don't see the Jets as thin on the backend at all

There is a possibility the Jets could start next season with
Buff
Myers
Kulikov
Morrissey
Trouba
Chairot
Poolman

That could leave on the Moose
Niku
Nogier
Stanley
Green

Possibly
Glover

They would also have in the pipeline
Samberg
Kovacevic
Gawanke
Cerderholm
Evingson

On the high end you have a player like Niku who is probably ready for the NHL and Samberg who needs a year or two of seasoning yet and lots of possibilities there as well. I don't see a lot of room there?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah with how Niku has performed in AHL there is not much of a reason to bring Toby back. It would have to he a one year deal at most and even that might hurt us.

We are in the perfect situation to shelter Niku with a good right handed partner. When healthy it may be hard for him to crack the lineup. But he should be able to help the team.

Young guy who will only get better that is dirt cheap. They can sign Morrow and send him to AHL or someone similar for depth.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Considering how bad the Jets have looked without Toby in the lineup, I think you have to bring him back on a cheap contract if he still wants to play. There will be enough injuries for Niku to get a chance and he can play in the Chiarot role. This season and next season the Jets cup window will be open as wide it can be after it closes a little once Laine, Connor contracts kick in, you need to take full advantage of this opportunity and that means having a proven NHL vet in Toby in your lineup.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Considering how bad the Jets have looked without Toby in the lineup, I think you have to bring him back on a cheap contract if he still wants to play. There will be enough injuries for Niku to get a chance and he can play in the Chiarot role. This season and next season the Jets cup window will be open as wide it can be after it closes a little once Laine, Connor contracts kick in, you need to take full advantage of this opportunity and that means having a proven NHL vet in Toby in your lineup.
Yeah cause clearly the Jets missing Trouba and Kulikov on the back end means nothing.

Plus Scheifele, Lowry and now you can add Stastny.

To say the jets look bad because Enstrom isn’t in the line up and forget to mention all the other injuries is just mind boggling.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Good thing we kept Toby in the expansion draft this season...

Reactions: KingBogo and ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't see the Jets as thin on the backend at all

There is a possibility the Jets could start next season with
Buff
Myers
Kulikov
Morrissey
Trouba
Chairot
Poolman

That could leave on the Moose
Niku
Nogier
Stanley
Green

Possibly
Glover

They would also have in the pipeline
Samberg
Kovacevic
Gawanke
Cerderholm
Evingson

On the high end you have a player like Niku who is probably ready for the NHL and Samberg who needs a year or two of seasoning yet and lots of possibilities there as well. I don't see a lot of room there?

I have some concerns looking at that Joe.

Top group:

The A team

Buff has this season and 3 more with a high cap hit
Trouba is the great unknown and this entire plan hinges on him.
Morrissey needs a new deal

The rest

Toby entering UFA status maybe has a year left might be done?
Myers going into the last year of his deal and injury history??
Kuli 2 seasons after this and a bit expensive for bottom pairing.
Poolman needs a new deal
Chiarot 1 year left and becomes a UFA

I only like Niku in the second tier the rest are all long shots.

That leaves our draft from last year in that 3rd group?

I like Samberg but we are a ways off with this group.

If we manage to keep Trouba then we have an expensive core with Morrissey Trouba Buff and will need to consider the Cap. If we lose Trouba we will need to rebuild our d core and start going hard on trading assets to balance out our roster. I have not liked how things have felt on the back end since Trouba has been out.

To me the number one thing we are missing is a high blue chip soon to be NHL ready future top pairing D asset in the pipeline. If you added just that one piece to the entire grid I feel great about where we are. However if we don’t get Trouba signed then I don’t Like where we are at.

Reactions: scelaton

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
To me the number one thing we are missing is a high blue chip soon to be NHL ready future top pairing D asset in the pipeline

Have you given up on this guy? ;)

Logan-Stanley.jpg

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Logan-Stanley.jpg

To not answer the question you didn't ask me, he has never fit that description. If he develops well and makes it in the NHL it is probably as a 3rd pair guy, 2nd pair tops. Not to mention that he is 2-3 years away, at least.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Logan-Stanley.jpg

Well..............I have always factored him in at about 5%-10% chance of being an effective NHL player so I don't think I would say I have given up as much as I would say I have left him in the deep discount bin right by the front doors in case anybody would like to shop lift him. As long as he is a Jets prospect I will continue to hope for the best for Logan.

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
At the draft, I would trade Myers for a late first rounder if someone is willing to take him at that price. He is very good offensively but is very suspect defensively, I think Poolman is already better defensively and trading Myers will mean that Trouba (if he resigns) & Morrissey are competing for PP2 playing time.
With the Myers money cleared, Enstrom can hopefully easily be resigned for 2-3M as insurance for a transition year for Niku.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
At the draft, I would trade Myers for a late first rounder if someone is willing to take him at that price. He is very good offensively but is very suspect defensively, I think Poolman is already better defensively and trading Myers will mean that Trouba (if he resigns) & Morrissey are competing for PP2 playing time.
With the Myers money cleared, Enstrom can hopefully easily be resigned for 2-3M as insurance for a transition year for Niku.
The Jets would want to have Trouba signed before they could entertain the thought of trading Myers.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Trouba will be the linchpin when it come to signing, resigning, and extending players, he will also factor in trades either involving him or other players.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I think the Jets need to figure out what they are doing re: Trouba before they can look at anything else. Are you signing the guy or trading the guy?

Well most likely Trouba will file for arbitration. If that happens it will force a settlement by early late July early August depending on his hearing date.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think the first unit pp time should go to Morrissey as he is a better passer than Buff. He also seems to get his shot on net more even if it isn't as hard which is super important.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Definitely think Toby has been alright this year. Like if he wanted to come back on a one year deal at most? I won't be too stubborn on this one haha. More AHL time wouldn't kill Niku.

But if another team makes Toby a multi year offer we have to let him go.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Considering how bad the Jets have looked without Toby in the lineup, I think you have to bring him back on a cheap contract if he still wants to play.

Not buying that at all. We've been missing far more important players than Toby. In a physical playoff series I'd rather have Chiarot in there. He's finally starting to use his size, playing a meaner game (Nashville certainly noticed him last night).

Reactions: GNP

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think the first unit pp time should go to Morrissey as he is a better passer than Buff. He also seems to get his shot on net more even if it isn't as hard which is super important.
Buff is the better passer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->