Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royale With Cheese

Fuelled by Whiskey
Nov 24, 2006
FWIW, Laine strikes me as a guy that probably doesn't care that much about money. He's rich now, he's going to be very rich no matter what, but he strikes me as a guy that wouldn't care about maximizing his money, or even where he plays.

We are where we are today because of the depth we have. Hopefully he realizes that eating up 1/8 of the team salary would change that.

This is just my musings of course, I have no idea how much he'll get.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
FWIW, Laine strikes me as a guy that probably doesn't care that much about money. He's rich now, he's going to be very rich no matter what, but he strikes me as a guy that wouldn't care about maximizing his money, or even where he plays.

We are where we are today because of the depth we have. Hopefully he realizes that eating up 1/8 of the team salary would change that.

This is just my musings of course, I have no idea how much he'll get.
I get that vibe too - he wants to win. He also clearly wants to be the best hockey player in the world...but does he want to be the best paid? I mean, he's clearly super-competitive...does that suddenly end when it comes to his salary?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Kucherov has more leverage. He has 1 year before UFA status after next season and is arbitration eligible. Laine has 4 years of team control after next season and does not have arbitration rights. The current CBA is designed to give teams a big negotiating advantage over players early in their careers. Just because teams like Edmonton piss away this advantage doesn't mean other teams do. I would expect something equitable but not back breaking.

I prefer "equitable but not back breaking" to 'team friendly'. Laine has an agent who is not going to allow him to sign below market. But market value has a range and it isn't unreasonable to hope to be in the lower end of the range.

Pretty sure Laine will get paid but I don't see any sign yet that he will try to squeeze every drop of blood out.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd peg Laine around 9 million right now. But the more the cap rises, the more he's getting.

It would be best for the Jets to extend him this summer. Couldn't blame Laine if he wanted to hold off a year though.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
How much do you think Chariot will sign for? I would like him as our 6/7th man next year. He is playing well in relief right now.

Reactions: GNP

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
So Carolina is looking for a new GM after "promoting" Ron Francis today. Still no coaches fired.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd peg Laine around 9 million right now. But the more the cap rises, the more he's getting.

It would be best for the Jets to extend him this summer. Couldn't blame Laine if he wanted to hold off a year though.
They already have a good idea what the cap will be next season, after that it is unknown though most people assume a continued rise. Agreed this summer is the time to sign Laine so any cap raises after that won't effect his salary.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
He is already signed for next season at a cap hit of $1.4 million

I was a little concerned with his extension, but I must say I am for the most part pleased with how he has stepped up his game lately with all the injuries. Just don’t let him play with Morrow!

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
I've always had high hopes for Chariot since his "Ice Cap" days. He and Morrissey were our 1-2 pair.
I really think a lot of his early issues were Bad Buff and the horrible bottom 6 he was playing
behind the last while. Late bloomer, better players around him, more coaches confidence. Big gritty with a bomb of a shot. Can play both sides...pretty valuable asset moving forward. Do his metrics reflect the improvement?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
IMO it's looked like Chariot has played a lot more physical lately. With more edge. I really think that has helped his game. I don't think anyone will ever confuse him with a skilled puck handler, but he's seemed more effective when using his physical side. The Carolina game I think it was where he was really using the body.

Reactions: ulf

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I've always had high hopes for Chariot since his "Ice Cap" days. He and Morrissey were our 1-2 pair.
I really think a lot of his early issues were Bad Buff and the horrible bottom 6 he was playing
behind the last while. Late bloomer, better players around him, more coaches confidence. Big gritty with a bomb of a shot. Can play both sides...pretty valuable asset moving forward. Do his metrics reflect the improvement?
Seems like he's got a bit more confidence lately - he's been more active offensively. His defensive game remains pretty similar to what it's been all along - tendency toward bad gaps and firing the puck out (maybe not quite as much as before?).

Stats-wise he's been okay. Not great relative to other Jets' D when you consider he's been heavily sheltered. His GF% is great but his PDO is quite high as well so that's probably largely a result of some good puck luck. His teammates generally do better without him on the ice.

chiarbe91

Reactions: ulf

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Seems like he's got a bit more confidence lately - he's been more active offensively. His defensive game remains pretty similar to what it's been all along - tendency toward bad gaps and firing the puck out (maybe not quite as much as before?).

Stats-wise he's been okay. Not great relative to other Jets' D when you consider he's been heavily sheltered. His GF% is great but his PDO is quite high as well so that's probably largely a result of some good puck luck. His teammates generally do better without him on the ice.

chiarbe91

Pretty much a solid 6/7 dmen.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
4 years of Francis......Not enough time apparently. We were all over Chevy in year 5 , they need more patience. And some scoring forwards.
Well, it seemed pretty clear that Chevy was building a very strong prospect pool with savvy drafting and trades. Francis was in an executive position for a dozen years, and the Canes have been spotty in building the team.

Since 2011, their 1st round picks...

Ryan Murphy (#12)
2012 - no 1st
Elias Lindholm (#5)
Haydn Fleury (#7)
Hanifin (#5)
Bean (#13)
Necas (#12)

During that same stretch, in the first round the Jets drafted...

Scheifele
Trouba
Morrissey
Ehlers
Connor
Roslovic
Laine
Vesalainen

Chevy also traded for Armia, Dano and Lemieux, and hit some good lower picks (Lowry, Hellebuyck, Niku, Poolman, etc.)

Not hard to see why the Jets are on the way up, and the Canes continue to struggle.

Reactions: JBM

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, it seemed pretty clear that Chevy was building a very strong prospect pool with savvy drafting and trades. Francis was in an executive position for a dozen years, and the Canes have been spotty in building the team.

Ryan Murphy (#12)
2012 - no 1st
Elias Lindholm (#5)
Haydn Fleury (#7)
Hanifin (#5)
Bean (#13)
Necas (#12)

Scheifele
Trouba
Morrissey
Ehlers
Connor
Roslovic
Laine
Vesalainen

Chevy also traded for Armia, Dano and Lemieux, and hit some good lower picks (Lowry, Hellebuyck, Niku, Poolman, etc.)

Not hard to see why the Jets are on the way up, and the Canes continue to struggle.
The new owner wants to run the team himself, apparently. That always ends well! :sarcasm:

And Carolina's draft record is pretty solid since 2011. Aho, Lindholm, Hanafin, Faulk, McGinn, Slavin, Pesce, Fleury and Di Giuseppe all drafted over those years and currently playing on their roster. Francis traded for Teravainen and had the good sense to acquire Stempniak (which is a sure sign of competent GM'ing). Darling appears to be a big mistake, though. The Canes actually remind me a bit of the Jets last year - a solid team on paper that's underperforming.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The new owner wants to run the team himself, apparently. That always ends well! :sarcasm:

And Carolina's draft record is pretty solid since 2011. Aho, Lindholm, Hanafin, Faulk, McGinn, Slavin, Pesce, Fleury and Di Giuseppe all drafted over those years and currently playing on their roster. Francis traded for Teravainen and had the good sense to acquire Stempniak (which is a sure sign of competent GM'ing). Darling appears to be a big mistake, though. The Canes actually remind me a bit of the Jets last year - a solid team on paper that's underperforming.
Jets had a ton of injuries last season, which dragged them down. They are also top 6-7 in injuries this season, but haven't missed a beat due to excellent depth. Canes have been the least injured team in the NHL this season - charmed, you could say. Darling was a big miss for sure, but they just don't have a roster that can really compete despite some good players. You can't really compare the top-end talent drafted by the two franchises, and the Jets' have collected more high picks and prospects over the past several seasons.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets had a ton of injuries last season, which dragged them down. They are also top 6-7 in injuries this season, but haven't missed a beat due to excellent depth. Canes have been the least injured team in the NHL this season - charmed, you could say. Darling was a big miss for sure, but they just don't have a roster that can really compete despite some good players. You can't really compare the top-end talent drafted by the two franchises, and the Jets' have collected more high picks and prospects over the past several seasons.
That Carolina roster is decent outside the goaltenders. Anyway, I'm sure the new owner will figure it all out...maybe Steve Mason could help?

Reactions: mondo3

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015

Ryan Murphy (#12)
2012 - no 1st
Elias Lindholm (#5)
Haydn Fleury (#7)
Hanifin (#5)
Bean (#13)
Necas (#12)

Scheifele
Trouba
Morrissey
Ehlers
Connor
Roslovic
Laine
Vesalainen

No secret that the Canes are looking for scoring help. How would Roslovic for Jake Bean look value wise? Could make sense for both teams. Valimaki might make sense as well but CAlgary would prob need a small add on that

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
No secret that the Canes are looking for scoring help. How would Roslovic for Jake Bean look value wise? Could make sense for both teams. Valimaki might make sense as well but CAlgary would prob need a small add on that
Horrible deal if they see Roslovic as the future 2c. We are even shorter centres than we are D.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I keep Roslovic over both of those D. Bean has a lot of work to do defensively, and I'm not sold on Valimaki's upside potential. Roslovic is a bona fide NHLer who can play in the top 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->