Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Trade deadline edition. home stretch Mod warning 593

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I dont think the Oilers needed to do too much this TDL at all. They landed their depth center. The team will improve mostly on the backs of Lucic/RNH/Eberle/Pouliot snapping out of it and starting contributing. A guy like Vanek was massively sheltered in Detroit. While I think hed help I think itd be a lot less than what people think

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Yeah, I mean, why take advantage of McDavid's ELC and a flat trade market by trading late picks for NHLers? Better to wait until Connor and Leon are making $16M or more combined before we start adding salary.

Massive, massive missed opportunity by Chia if DD was all he could accomplish.

Because any player that got moved today wouldn't put Edmonton in a position to win the cup, so why waste picks?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ywah, I mean, why take advantage of McDavid's ELC and a flat trade market by trading late picks for NHLers? Better to wait until Connor and Leon are making $16M or more combined before we start adding salary.

This team is not good enough for a Cup run yet if I'm being honest, not even if you added Vanek and whoever.

Playoffs (and they still have to get there) will be an eye opener for this group, probably painful in some ways, but that's how it goes.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I'd rather Chiarelli stand pat than add a bunch of crappy forwards like BargainBin did in Montreal.

I wanted a backup though.

Montreal did what we did last year. You cannot make those comments till you see them pan out. Kassian was nut case and a drunk and Maroon was a 4th liner just like King.

Mtl very well might have done well to address their size issue also

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, I mean, why take advantage of McDavid's ELC and a flat trade market by trading late picks for NHLers? Better to wait until Connor and Leon are making $16M or more combined before we start adding salary.

For who...Nothing very appealing got dealt today.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

News flash: We aren't contending this year. At all.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
This team is not good enough for a Cup run yet if I'm being honest, not even if you added Vanek and whoever.

Playoffs (and they still have to get there) will be an eye opener for this group, probably painful in some ways, but that's how it goes.

How can anyone say this after the last time we made the playoffs... in the post season Anything can happen. If we're good enough to make the playoffs we're good enough to win

LMAO at all the overconfident posters already pegging us in for the playoffs.

The 2009 Calgary Flames- a team with better underlying numbers than us today- choked away a 16-point lead on the division to Vancouver down the stretch after the deadline.

10 points is nothing. The Kings are a team that have proven they can kick into top-gear at the bait of a switch.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Because any player that got moved today wouldn't put Edmonton in a position to win the cup, so why waste picks?

Winning rounds is still a very helpful exercise. By not bothering to improve when nearly every single one of their opponents did, they minimize what chance they had in the first place.

Definitely a shortsighted approach by Chia.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
News flash: We aren't contending this year. At all.

Depends what you mean by that. The team is a near lock to make the playoffs and has shown an ability to beat good teams.

They are no Pitt/LA/Chi, but they could go on a nice run.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Montreal did what we did last year. You cannot make those comments till you see them pan out. Kassian was nut case and a drunk and Maroon was a 4th liner just like King.

Mtl very well might have done well to address their size issue also
Steve Ott and Dwight King are horrible players. And the Oilers last season weren't competing for a playoff spot.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
A guy like Vanek was massively sheltered in Detroit. While I think hed help I think itd be a lot less than what people think

Sheltered how?

He was their best player all season. He would've been a great fit in Edmonton - smartest guy on the team aside from Connor, best pure shooter and one of the top playmakers.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
How can anyone say this after the last time we made the playoffs... in the post season Anything can happen. If we're good enough to make the playoffs we're good enough to win

We don't have Chris Pronger or same the depth.

We had a great top line in Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky. After that, Stoll and Torres were near 30 goal guys who brought other big elements. Pisani was a near 20 goal guy and scored almost as many in the playoffs. Samsonov was a great addition and Peca was a top 5 defensive forward in the game who could still score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad