Proposal: Rumors & Proposals Thread | No More Hamonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think if you are getting Wis it's costing you next to nothing.

Agree. Wiz doesn't have much value coming off major ACL surgery, having a $5.5M cap hit (although is actual salary is only $3M), and being only under contract for this season. If he can still play, he's probably a great fit for Carolina. He'd be a 3rd pairing RD behind Faulk and Pesce, he could get 2nd PP time, and since he's only signed for 1 year, he won't block McKeown if he shows he's ready after a year in the AHL. I don't see him having much value for other teams though.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Gregor seems pretty damned confident that it wouldn't take that much. Suggested RNH + Reinhart or Eberle + Davidson.

Smoke from Stauffer, now more smoke from Gregor. Better find the damned fire...

That's all homer speculation, I doubt it's based on anything concrete. Faulk is an utter fantasy, Carolina has no motivation NONE, to deal him. The only slight possibility would have been in if the Oilers won the Matthews lottery which I'm sure would have gotten Carolina to listen. I can't imagine that an RNH+small piece would even get Carolina to listen.

Also, Barrie is probably another pipedream. It makes no sense to me that Colorado would deal him from an already subpar blueline because they are a couple of million apart in contract negotiations. I'd have to think that they will surely re-sign him long term. Nothing else makes sense for them unless they were upgrading on Barrie.

The Oilers can't be picky here. The realistically available Dmen are few and far between. Vatanen, Demers and yes, Brodin are the most realistic targets. It's also possible that Chia strikes out completely if he has the HFOil mentality of looking for the perfect deal and not accepting less.
I have a feeling that he will get something done and the fans here aren't going to like the value going the other way. Every GM knows how utterly desperate the Oilers are to add top 4 D.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Bob McKenzie said at the trade deadline that MIN wanted Drouin++ if they were to deal Brodin.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I'm still extremely skeptical of the idea that Carolina would trade their best defenseman, one who is young and on a great contract, but if they want RNH for him, they can have him. There should be zero hesitation from the Oilers if there is even a remote possibility that Carolina would say yes to a deal like that.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
To keep up with the Faulk theme today -

1. RNH+4th OA for Justin Faulk
2. 2017 1st and Yakupov for Vatanen
3. Sign Al Montoya 2yr/1.5m
4. 32nd OA for Shaw

Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
Hall-Draisaitl-Kassian
Pouliot-Shaw-Hendricks
Lander-Letestu-Pakarinen

Sekera-Faulk
Klefbom-Vatanen
Davidson-Fayne

Talbot
Montoya

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bob McKenzie said at the trade deadline that MIN wanted Drouin++ if they were to deal Brodin.

Kinda hard to base much on that though since Drouin probably had about 1/10th the value at that time, he was a primmadonna/problem child who wasn't putting up points in the NHL and refusing to play in the AHL. His value was probably a little north of Yakupov at that point, but not by much.

Minny is probably kicking themselves now for not doing that straight across.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I'd love to bring in Hansen. Versatile forward who can play up and down the top 9. Exactly the type of forward Chia and McLellan want to add. I'd try to get Edler/Tanev along with him.

Yak, Reinhart, 32nd, Fayne for Edler and Hansen

Unrelated, but would Montreal want Dubois enough to trade Pacioretty and 9 overall for 4 overall and Eberle?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
To be honest, and I'm going to get killed for saying this but I think the Oilers could make the playoffs with a few tweaks *provided* McDavid and Klefbom don't suffer such long term injuries again.

Add a Vatanen, replace Fayne with an upgrade (doesn't have to be a superstar), and maybe a decent third line C with some sandpaper to his game and maybe a few tweaks here and there ...

The impact of 2nd year McDavid will be immense, rookie Crosby/Gretzky/Lemiuex were all putting up great numbers as rookies but it wasn't really until the second season where you could see them really start to control the game rather than just cruising on raw ability.

Lets not forget even with Gretzky the Oilers were a rather mediocre 28-39-13-0 in their first season.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's all homer speculation, I doubt it's based on anything concrete. Faulk is an utter fantasy, Carolina has no motivation NONE, to deal him. The only slight possibility would have been in if the Oilers won the Matthews lottery which I'm sure would have gotten Carolina to listen. I can't imagine that an RNH+small piece would even get Carolina to listen.

Also, Barrie is probably another pipedream. It makes no sense to me that Colorado would deal him from an already subpar blueline because they are a couple of million apart in contract negotiations. I'd have to think that they will surely re-sign him long term. Nothing else makes sense for them unless they were upgrading on Barrie.

The Oilers can't be picky here. The realistically available Dmen are few and far between. Vatanen, Demers and yes, Brodin are the most realistic targets. It's also possible that Chia strikes out completely if he has the HFOil mentality of looking for the perfect deal and not accepting less.
I have a feeling that he will get something done and the fans here aren't going to like the value going the other way. Every GM knows how utterly desperate the Oilers are to add top 4 D.

I don't think many people would have expected Dougie Hamilton to fall into the Flames laps, either, or that Pirri would be had for a 6th at the deadline.

Collectively, HF is wrong a lot more often than it's right.

Weren't there rumblings earlier this year that Faulk was unhappy in Carolina? If he's quietly asked to be moved, that puts a whole new spin on things.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think many people would have expected Dougie Hamilton to fall into the Flames laps, either, or that Pirri would be had for a 6th at the deadline.

Weren't there rumblings earlier this year that Faulk was unhappy in Carolina?

Yeah a year ago I remember people here talking about offer sheeting or offering one of RNH/Hall/Eberle for Dougie Hamilton and even that might not be enough ... crazier things have happened.

To be honest the only reason Seth Jones returned Ryan Johansen is because he was butting heads with Tortorella and refusing to sign on the cheap for management. If there were no contract headaches, IMO Nashville doesn't willingly move Johansen. Seth Jones was simply the best they could get at the time so they took it.

I'm fairly confident one or more of Barrie, Vatanen, Brodin, Fowler, or Trouba moves this summer and I think the Oilers are well positioned to offer more than many teams. Faulk I'm not as sure about, but you never know.

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
To keep up with the Faulk theme today -

1. RNH+4th OA for Justin Faulk
2. 2017 1st and Yakupov for Vatanen
3. Sign Al Montoya 2yr/1.5m
4. 32nd OA for Shaw

Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
Hall-Draisaitl-Kassian
Pouliot-Shaw-Hendricks
Lander-Letestu-Pakarinen

Sekera-Faulk
Klefbom-Vatanen
Davidson-Fayne

Talbot
Montoya

Gross overpayment.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

Weren't there rumblings earlier this year that Faulk was unhappy in Carolina? If he's quietly asked to be moved, that puts a whole new spin on things.

Ive seen pictures from games in Carolina. Much like most of the league, i have zero interest in that team. sometimes i forget they exist. From the pictures taken at games...it looks like, from all those empty seats, most people forget they exist. even with free ticket handouts. just terrible

I feel bad for Faulk and there is no way i touch a Staal EVER

Staals should absolutely have the "I am just here for the money and comfort" stamp on them. LOSERS.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Adam Larsson didn't look very good before (or after) being paired with Greene, i.e. the Yakupov for Larsson proposals which were working for many supporters on both sides not that long time ago.

Very few young defensemen are able to hold their own even after some years, playing with veteran/good support is essential. After a while you start removing them slowly and it is about at that time that they become useless in the eyes of many supporters.

Again, Suter's two best seasons in terms of Norris voting finishes was 12/13 and 13/14, the two years he was playing mostly with Brodin. He can be an excellent complement to a top pair guy because he is a very smart and adaptable player. He'll only get better so if you can get him now you go for it. Even if he doesn't develop his offense that much he has good prospects to become a hjalmarsson type shut down D man who let's our top pair play a bit easier competition.

Well said. Hjalmarsson is another interesting example that you never hear about how bad he is because he has no offense. Last year Hjalmarsson had 19 points in 82 games with 48.50% offensive zone starts. Brodin had 17 points in 71 games with 50% offensive zone starts. They both have similar G/60 and A1/60, well Brodin slightly better actually, but the big difference is in A2/60 where Hjalmarsson get the lead. I think a lot of that can be attributed to him playing on a much more offensively talented team.

Like, Brodins role is so incredibly defensive and not only that but he plays in probably the most defensive system in the NHL and it's a team that lacks any real high-end offensive talent. Just take a look at Hjalmarssons and Brodins hero charts. They look eerily similar. So if you think Hjalmarsson is a great d-man, which he is, and simultaneously think Brodin is garbage, then you need to think again. Brodin is not on the same level right now but there is very good reason to believe that he'll get there.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well said. Hjalmarsson is another interesting example that you never hear about how bad he is because he has no offense. Last year Hjalmarsson had 19 points in 82 games with 48.50% offensive zone starts. Brodin had 17 points in 71 games with 50% offensive zone starts. They both have similar G/60 and A1/60, well Brodin slightly better actually, but the big difference is in A2/60 where Hjalmarsson get the lead. I think a lot of that can be attributed to him playing on a much more offensively talented team.

Like, Brodins role is so incredibly defensive and not only that but he plays in probably the most defensive system in the NHL and it's a team that lacks any real high-end offensive talent. Just take a look at Hjalmarssons and Brodins hero charts. They look eerily similar. So if you think Hjalmarsson is a great d-man, which he is, and simultaneously think Brodin is garbage, then you need to think again. Brodin is not on the same level right now but there is very good reason to believe that he'll get there.

I wouldn't trade RNH for Hjalmarsson straight up though, so where is the meeting point here for a player that as of now isn't as good as Hjalmarsson but might be down the road.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
4th OA for Barrie I'm down with.

It's gonna suck to watch Dubois become a star in Colorado, but push comes to shove, yeah I probably do it unless Barrie is asking for stupid money (ie: 7+ mill).

That said I think we probably could get Vatanen for our 1st+ next year (lottery protected) ... I dunno.

What's better

Barrie + keeping one of Yakupov/Reinhart

or

Vatanen + Dubois/Tkachuk

?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

A couple of key differences. Hamilton was due for a new contract while Faulk is locked up to a very team friendly contract. Boston had a slew of veterans on the blueline to somewhat offset the loss of Hamilton and furthermore, Hamilton wasn't their #1 Dman.

Admittedly, I was blindsided by the Hamilton deal as all of us were I'm sure but the Hamilton and Faulk situations are vastly different.

Weren't those rumblings started by a Carolina fan who was saying it in jest? I don't recall any noteworthy rumors about Faulk wanting out.

I'm certainly not claiming to be an authority and I could be completely wrong about this and would love to be, but I'd be shocked beyond belief if Carolina dealt Faulk barring a too good to pass up package. Not saying that he's the perfect Dman but I just don't see the motivation for Carolina to deal their budding #1 Dman.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It's gonna suck to watch Dubois become a star in Colorado, but push comes to shove, yeah I probably do it unless Barrie is asking for stupid money (ie: 7+ mill).

That said I think we probably could get Vatanen for our 1st+ next year (lottery protected) ... I dunno.

What's better

Barrie + keeping one of Yakupov/Reinhart

or

Vatanen + Dubois/Tkachuk

?

That's a really tough one. Now that I think about it more, probably the latter option.

Maybe go for both?

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
The Faulk trade request thing was just Carolina fans joking around.

I don't see why they'd move him but Stauffer seems to be saying its possible, I don't consider Gregor legit, but hey he's saying it too.

Everyone saying Duchene for Faulk on Twitter. Duchene has 3 years left vs RNH's 5. Duchene is a better player, but that cost certainty is interesting as what is Duchene getting after this deal? 7.5? 8? 9?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
A couple of key differences. Hamilton was due for a new contract while Faulk is locked up to a very team friendly contract. Boston had a slew of veterans on the blueline to somewhat offset the loss of Hamilton and furthermore, Hamilton wasn't their #1 Dman.

Admittedly, I was blindsided by the Hamilton deal as all of us were I'm sure but the Hamilton and Faulk situations are vastly different.

Weren't those rumblings started by a Carolina fan who was saying it in jest? I don't recall any noteworthy rumors about Faulk wanting out.

I'm certainly not claiming to be an authority and I could be completely wrong about this and would love to be, but I'd be shocked beyond belief if Carolina dealt Faulk barring a too good to pass up package. Not saying that he's the perfect Dman but I just don't see the motivation for Carolina to deal their budding #1 Dman.

I just find it very difficult to believe that two of the best-connected sports media people in Edmonton came to the same conclusion independently - that Faulk is available and could be had without giving up Hall or Draisaitl or a major piece of our defence now and going forward - if there wasn't at least some truth to it.

Stauffer's had the 'nudge nudge, wink wink' thing going for awhile, but Gregor's a lot less willing to pull that kind of card out unless he's legitimately heard a thing or two, and he's made a couple of very specific statements over the last few months - that Pouliot and Yak are as good as gone to the Ducks and would already be gone if Pou didn't get hurt, and that Faulk is available and the Canes, while not looking to move him, are listening.

Maybe he's just fuelling some summer rumours, but there's a lot of smoke lately.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
If we dealt 62nd overall for Hansen...

1. What prospect would you include going to Vancouver?

2. What line does he play on? Hall-Drai-Hansen, Maroon-McDavid-Hansen or Pouliot-RNH-Hansen or other?

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I just find it very difficult to believe that two of the best-connected sports media people in Edmonton came to the same conclusion independently - that Faulk is available and could be had without giving up Hall or Draisaitl or a major piece of our defence now and going forward - if there wasn't at least some truth to it.

Stauffer's had the 'nudge nudge, wink wink' thing going for awhile, but Gregor's a lot less willing to pull that kind of card out unless he's legitimately heard a thing or two, and he's made a couple of very specific statements over the last few months - that Pouliot and Yak are as good as gone to the Ducks and would already be gone if Pou didn't get hurt, and that Faulk is available and the Canes, while not looking to move him, are listening.

Maybe he's just fuelling some summer rumours, but there's a lot of smoke lately.

Would the defense be a little too small with both Faulk and Vatanen added? I guess Faulk has some jam and you could keep Gryba/Nurse on the 3rd pair.

Sekera Faulk
Klefbom Vatanen
Davidson Gryba/Nurse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad