Rumor: Rumors & Proposals | Moar NCAA Free Agents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I think next year we have to really give Drai a good run at 2C. Decision needs to be made as to whether or not Nuge is expendable.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Foo plays mens league in Edmonton during the summer, I think the only reason he wouldn't sign here would be if he can get a better opportunity to quickly make an NHL team elsewhere. Everything else should be going in the Oilers favour.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Foo plays mens league in Edmonton during the summer, I think the only reason he wouldn't sign here would be if he can get a better opportunity to quickly make an NHL team elsewhere. Everything else should be going in the Oilers favour.

And he should get opportunities to play as our prospect depth at forward is bare.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
It would be great to have some cheap college UFA's emerge to play in the top 9 like Pittsburgh has with Sheary and Guentzel. I think the Oilers will build around McDavid, Drai, Pulju, and Lucic up front and try to fill in the rest with players at a reasonable price point. It makes a ton of sense to go after a big fish on defense considering the value deals Klef and Lars are on.

What could an RNH/Eberle, Nurse, 2017 1st, and 2018 1st package land? Parayko? Is Karlsson untouchable? OEL? It's too bad Burns re-upped in SJ because he would have been perfect as a free UFA and allowed the Oilers to stock the futures pipeline by dealing a forward or two.

Grey Poupon*

Cashmere Thoughts
Nov 25, 2016
Charlestown, MA
It would be great to have some cheap college UFA's emerge to play in the top 9 like Pittsburgh has with Sheary and Guentzel. I think the Oilers will build around McDavid, Drai, Pulju, and Lucic up front and try to fill in the rest with players at a reasonable price point. It makes a ton of sense to go after a big fish on defense considering the value deals Klef and Lars are on.

What could an RNH/Eberle, Nurse, 2017 1st, and 2018 1st package land? Parayko? Is Karlsson untouchable? OEL? It's too bad Burns re-upped in SJ because he would have been perfect as a free UFA and allowed the Oilers to stock the futures pipeline by dealing a forward or two.
Why u trading Nurse? Did u watch last night? That's asinine

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site

I'm inclined to keep RNH next year as getting a defensively sound 3C who can put up points is hard. Easier route is play Leon at 2C and RNH at 3C - then trade Ebs for a 2RD and pick up a RHS RW replacement for Ebs before the expansion draft when teams need to get value or lose a player for nothing to LV.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

You don't trade Nurse, so probably not likely all around.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

PHI is an option because one of his buddies signed there,,, other than the last think PHI needs are more C/RWers.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
PHI is an option because one of his buddies signed there,,, other than the last think PHI needs are more C/RWers.

Looking back on the College free agents signings of teams over the past few years, I can't think of any where the player said he signed with X team because one of his friends did. My memory could definitely be at fault on this, but nothing comes to mind.

Time after time the 2 main reasons that they espouse are:

1) Opportunity
2) Home roots

Given that, I think the Oilers have as good an opportunity as anyone to sign Foo.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I'm ready to trade Eberle this offseason. For a while i thought he was snake bitten, just having a bad stretch.
It's been going on for too long though. I don't know what it is, but he's just lost it. I thought maybe he'd step up in the playoffs, take himself to another level, or atleast up to the level he's shown in the past. But he hasn't. He's playing with more intensity, as he should, but everyone else is as well. And he's still not producing. He's not getting goals. He can create all the chances he wants, but without the finish they're all for nothing.
It's plainly obvious as for the past 20 games he's gone to his backhand in most of his opportunities. It's a sign that he has lost all confidence in his wrister. Even though he misses the net on 90% of his backhands, he still turns to them.

His only strength was his shot, he essentially had a $6M shot.
You don't pay 20 goal wingers $6M. There are going to be plenty available this offseason that will give us more dimensions at half the cost.

The only problem now is how to you unload a $6M 20-goal scorer that isn't big or physical and average defensively.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I'm ready to trade Eberle this offseason. For a while i thought he was snake bitten, just having a bad stretch.
It's been going on for too long though. I don't know what it is, but he's just lost it. I thought maybe he'd step up in the playoffs, take himself to another level, or atleast up to the level he's shown in the past. But he hasn't. He's playing with more intensity, as he should, but everyone else is as well. And he's still not producing. He's not getting goals. He can create all the chances he wants, but without the finish they're all for nothing.
It's plainly obvious as for the past 20 games he's gone to his backhand in most of his opportunities. It's a sign that he has lost all confidence in his wrister. Even though he misses the net on 90% of his backhands, he still turns to them.

You don't pay 20 goal wingers $6M. There are going to be plenty available this offseason that will give us more dimensions at half the cost.

The only problem now is how to you unload a $6M 20-goal scorer that isn't big or physical and average defensively.

I would trade him to Vegas for one of the RDs they will be poaching from ANA or MIN plus Pouliot as the expansion selection.

We free up 10M and shore up the D.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
My game plan is still to keep Eberle and Nuge both for one more season. Then when McDavids contract starts we trade the one deemed most expendable.

1) Trade Pou for a 7th to AZ
2) Trade our 1st for Mike Green
3) Let Russ and DD walk
4) Sign Bonino with the Cap saved from Pou

Maroon - McDavid - Drai
Lucic - RNH - Eberle
Cagiula - Bonino - Puljujarvi
Slepy - Test - Kassian

Klef-Lar
Sekera - Green
Nurse - Benning

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

Are you kidding me? His line has been taking the non-stop tough minutes, and he's been mostly playing lights out two way hockey (while still getting quality chances). I have no beef whatsoever with his play so far. Same for Nuge.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ideally you sign Foo, play hima year in AHL, or half year there, half year in bottom 6. In the mean time you keep RNH/Eberle and run with a good 2nd line (assuming they have bounce back years) & JP is developing in a top6/9 role

Then in 2 years Eberle is dealt for cap space and JP and Foo take over 2 top 6 RW spots

Id also be dangling Jones trying to get a good 2RD in a packaged deal. Love Jones but realistically our left side is locked in for a while. Can trade him now when he has high value as a enourcaging blue chip prospect

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Ideally you sign Foo, play hima year in AHL, or half year there, half year in bottom 6. In the mean time you keep RNH/Eberle and run with a good 2nd line (assuming they have bounce back years) & JP is developing in a top6/9 role

Then in 2 years Eberle is dealt for cap space and JP and Foo take over 2 top 6 RW spots

Id also be dangling Jones trying to get a good 2RD in a packaged deal. Love Jones but realistically our left side is locked in for a while. Can trade him now when he has high value as a enourcaging blue chip prospect

Like I said in the other thread, Jones+ for Tanev would be a good fit.

I'd also do something like Jones + Eberle for Trouba + Lowry.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I don't mind that, but I would still question how much more of a ceiling Trouba has and his desire to stick around for any length.

Edit: I keep wondering about what EJ would cost out of Colorado. That would make for a very high end top-4.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Why u trading Nurse? Did u watch last night? That's asinine

You don't trade Nurse, so probably not likely all around.

I did watch last night and he was very good, but if he is not passing Sekera or Klefbom on the depth chart in the coming years it might be wise to cash in on his expansion exempt status and bring back a major piece to help the team push for a cup. We can afford to bring in a large cap hit to round out the top 4 defense and there will be plenty of bottom pair options on ELC's coming up through the system in 1-2 years.

Again, it would have to be a big fish for me to put Nurse in a package deal. I threw out names like Karlsson, OEL, or Parayko for this type of scenario. Players that would push this team over the top next year.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Are you kidding me? His line has been taking the non-stop tough minutes, and he's been mostly playing lights out two way hockey (while still getting quality chances). I have no beef whatsoever with his play so far. Same for Nuge.

I have no qualms whatsoever with the defensive work so far of RNH and Eberle so far in this playoffs, but with 0 goals and 1 assist in total between the two of them after 5 games I think it's being very generous to call it "mostly lights out two way hockey".

For sure they've been getting shots and chances, but how nice would it be if they actually were getting goals and assists. Just would like to see some results. :)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I have no qualms whatsoever with the defensive work so far of RNH and Eberle so far in this playoffs, but with 0 goals and 1 assist in total between the two of them after 5 games I think it's being very generous to call it "mostly lights out two way hockey".

For sure they've been getting shots and chances, but how nice would it be if they actually were getting goals and assists. Just would like to see some results. :)

RNH GWG coming up. :sarcasm:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I did watch last night and he was very good, but if he is not passing Sekera or Klefbom on the depth chart in the coming years it might be wise to cash in on his expansion exempt status and bring back a major piece to help the team push for a cup. We can afford to bring in a large cap hit to round out the top 4 defense and there will be plenty of bottom pair options on ELC's coming up through the system in 1-2 years.

Again, it would have to be a big fish for me to put Nurse in a package deal. I threw out names like Karlsson, OEL, or Parayko for this type of scenario. Players that would push this team over the top next year.

I'd prefer longevity over blowing our wad at the first hint of success.

Our defense as it stands today had us a win away from a regular season divisional title and currently has us a win away from competing for the playoff divisional title. Blowing it up to add a big ticket player would be extremely irresponsible financially and honestly doesn't necessarily mean improvement. The three guys you mentioned will never be available so what do you have left where you're paying an arm and a leg?

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

Canucks fans seem to think Tanev is worth what Larsson returned and don't even like RNH for him. Jones is a decent prospect but in no way would he get that kind of return.

The Jets are already stacked with RH shooting top 6 players. Unless we offer Talbot or a young top 4 LHD like Nurse I don't think Trouba is in the cards either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->