Rumors in New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Rumors in New Jersey - Confirmed

Rumors out of New Jersey have the Devils trading picks and prospects for a center in his prime and a veteran defenseman. While the deal is supposedly expected to be finalized and sent for league approval within 24 hours, Devils fans remain skeptical after watching this team trade away almost every veteran player for picks and prospects over the past year and a half.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
League offices confirmed today that the New Jersey Devils have sent prospects Jarret Stoll, Nikos Dimitrakos, Ivan Majesky, the Devils 1st round pick in 2005, and cash to the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for center Chris Drury, winger Donald Audette, and defenseman Eric Weinrich.

The key to the deal from the Devils standpoint was obviously Chris Drury, a 27 year old second line center who can play at both ends of the ice. Could this deal signal the end of the rebuilding in New Jersey and that the team is ready to compete? GM Rich Epstein had this to say: "No, I don't think we are quite there yet, but obviously I am happy with the young talent we have acquired, and am ready to start assembling some more proven talent around it. When we began rebuilding a year and a half ago, we told the fans that it would last 2-3 years before we were challenging for a playoff spot again, and I think we are right on schedule. Our goal is still to be in the playoffs by next year." Epstein did add, however, that if the team plays well early he may try to add a piece or two for a playoff run this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad