Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Free Agency Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnicornONtheCOBB

Jun 29, 2016
Offer sheets are pretty uncommon, I don't want to paralyze our team in fear of one, Leon also has to actually want to sign it, beyond just being offered one. If his agent was able to get a team to submit an offersheet, Leon could just be like team A gave me an offersheet for X amount, match it or I sign it. Their is no obligation for him to sign an offersheet he gets and I imagine all things being equal this is the place he most wants to be. Another thing with offersheets is we have a week to match so we can move some salary if need be, we should also have a walk away number in our head, to me that is around $10.5M where we just can't realistically sign him for that much and have to take the picks.

I'm not advocating going crazy taking on a bunch of money and damn the consequences, but if their is a value UFA out there that can be had for $1-2M that helps our team we should just go out and get it done.

but my point is the bargain players that we want aren't ready to settle for low money, 1 year deals at this point. It's only 4 days into free agency, the value deals don't usually happen until later on in the summer.

Also, while I agree that offer sheets are rare and we can't live in fear of one, we also can't screw ourselves over and not leave the option to match because we overspent on free agents.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I wonder if we load up with some 1 year deals after we sign Connor since the following year the cap crunch will be very real?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So with issues with money, maybe move Draisaitl to Nashville before it's too late (basically)

To EDM: Jankrok, Sissons and Ellis

To NSH: Draisaitl, Maroon and Fayne($1M retained).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So with issues with money, maybe move Draisaitl to Nashville before it's too late (basically)

Should we also send them a bottle of champagne to go with their 2018 Stanley Cup trophy?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
More realistically I think you'll see deals like

Ryan Nugent Hopkins for Noah Hanifin

Milan Lucic for Marian Gaborik or Trevor Lewis (after this year is over)

Chia is keeping McDavid + Draisaitl no matter what.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Lucic is not going to be traded. He was the key target of Chiarelli. If he sucks then he won't have trade value due to his contract. If he's great then there is no reason to move him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Why are we trading Lucic? Do you want to see McDavid getting dummied on the ice like Hall, RNH and Eberle used to as 20 year olds?

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon

None of the trades you propose are even close to what the Oilers should accept for Draisaitl.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why are we trading Lucic? Do you want to see McDavid getting dummied on the ice like Hall, RNH and Eberle used to as 20 year olds?

Team is going to have to basically retool after next year. 6M is too much for us to spend on a 2nd line winger.

If Connor doesn't want to get dummied on the ice, maybe he should've taken a few dollars less.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think what's going to happen with the Oilers is next year is "whatever happens, happens". If they can top this year, great.

The following 3-4 years are kind of a "Limbo Phase" for the franchise where we basically just sit around waiting for the cap to rise and developing younger lower cost players while shedding contracts. They make the playoffs but likely lose in round 1 or 2 during this period.

4-5-6-7 years from now is when they have to go for it.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Team is going to have to basically retool after next year. 6M is too much for us to spend on a 2nd line winger.

If Connor doesn't want to get dummied on the ice, maybe he should've taken a few dollars less.

We are spending that same 6M for third line center. :dunno:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I wonder if we load up with some 1 year deals after we sign Connor since the following year the cap crunch will be very real?

This is my hope but we've already missed the boat on some prime deals. If we're going into next week with no additions I wonder if that's it at least until TC rolls around?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The cap will rise, I'm just worried about the first 3-4 years of the McDavid deal.

This is the same span where we have our top 4 D costing only 18 million total, and our starter making 4+. I don't think there's going to be much sacrifice on the team. As raises are needed, the cap will grow to pay them

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yes but most GMs close up shop after the first week of July. There aren't going to be any major trades happening between next week and pre-season.

there's an exception this year. Vegas will probably be open for business all summer and even mid season. Plenty opportunity to take some salary off their hands.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Yes but most GMs close up shop after the first week of July. There aren't going to be any major trades happening between next week and pre-season.

I can't remember the exact dates, but I remember reading that typically, most of the dealing is completed by around July 20th (ish??).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

He could just as easily prove to be a good fit for Connor going forward especially if Maroon wants too much as a FA.

He's gone too.

I'm not too sure about that. If we bridge Drai I could see him being tied to the hip to RNH instead of Connor and be forced to earn the kind of $ that he is currently asking for.

This is my hope but we've already missed the boat on some prime deals. If we're going into next week with no additions I wonder if that's it at least until TC rolls around?

I would think so unless we have some bargain deals late in the summer ala Russell last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->