Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Can Anyone That Can Win Faceoffs Please Contact Chia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I was scanning over some rosters and one team that looks interesting is Detroit. I'm a big Nielsen fan - he's 54% on faceoffs, can score and play up and down the lineup, and is solid defensively. His one downside is his age/contract, which could end up looking ugly in a few years.

The other name that stands out to me is Jordan Staal. He was 59% on faceoffs this year and he's another guy who can play up and down the lineup. I also think he'd be a great linemate for Puljujarvi to break into the league with. On paper, this looks like a good "third" line:

Pouliot-Staal-Puljujarvi

Jordan Staal is a 6 mill cap hit for 6 more years. Never gonna happen.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Martin Hanzal is a 6'6 defensive shutdown center who's put up back to back 40 point seasons. He's also 30 years old. If all he gets on the open market is $4.5m, he should fire his agent.

Needs be damned, the Oilers will not hand out another Sekera/Lucic contract this summer.

Go compare contracts for guys like that from the last 2 seasons, I took about 5 or 6 guys and got about 4.2 AAvand bumped it up too 4.5. That's the going rate for guys of his cut, he's not a topline scorer like guys who get 6m every summer.

Glass Eyes

Jan 2, 2017
Hanzal's a fine player but I want no part of his injury history. I doubt it'll get better as he ages.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Martin Hanzal is a 6'6 defensive shutdown center who's put up back to back 40 point seasons. He's also 30 years old. If all he gets on the open market is $4.5m, he should fire his agent.

Needs be damned, the Oilers will not hand out another Sekera/Lucic contract this summer.

How is the fact that he put up 40 point seasons and is 30 years old working in his favor? He's never been over 40 points and has never scored 20 goals, he's aging and has an injury history (never played a full season, only one season with more than 80 games). How is that worth ~$6M? If any team is stupid enough to give him that deal they're gonna regret it very soon.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Go compare contracts for guys like that from the last 2 seasons, I took about 5 or 6 guys and got about 4.2 AAvand bumped it up too 4.5. That's the going rate for guys of his cut, he's not a topline scorer like guys who get 6m every summer.

Examples?

I look at the summer UFA market and see Thornton, Gagner, Fisher and Bonino as the remainder of the crop of free agents at center. The market is very, very limited at the position. Hanzal is a rarity in a 6'6 physical center who can produce while facing top competition and he's signing what will be the biggest contract of his career. The only way anything comes close to that $4.5m number is if it goes for 7 years and has NMC on it.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
How is the fact that he put up 40 point seasons and is 30 years old working in his favor? He's never been over 40 points and has never scored 20 goals, he's aging and has an injury history (never played a full season, only one season with more than 80 games). How is that worth ~$6M? If any team is stupid enough to give him that deal they're gonna regret it very soon.

He scored 20 goals this year. He scored 40 points last year.

I didn't say $6m, but it wouldn't shock me. The guy is a unique player that a lot of teams value highly. And we should stay away from him like grim death.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I keep coming back to a Duchene for RNH swap.

RNH is not a third line center, he's never going to do well in that role. Maybe if he was 30.

Duchene improves team speed, secondary scoring, and dude is a beast in the face off dot -- 60 whopping percent last year, he's no.1 in the league, better than Hanzal.

MacK + RNH were incredible together at the WCoH, I think that swap makes a lot of sense for both teams. MacKinnon prefers wing too and they missed out on the Nolan Patrick sweepstakes.

Both guys need a change of scenery IMO too and they're both high picks, so the GMs can both save face on that.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I keep coming back to a Duchene for RNH swap.

RNH is not a third line center, he's never going to do well in that role. Maybe if he was 30.

Duchene improves team speed, secondary scoring, and dude is a beast in the face off dot -- 60 whopping percent last year, he's no.1 in the league, better than Hanzal.

MacK + RNH were incredible together at the WCoH, I think that swap makes a lot of sense for both teams. MacKinnon prefers wing too and they missed out on the Nolan Patrick sweepstakes.

Both guys need a change of scenery IMO too and they're both high picks, so the GMs can both save face on that.

I think we adding to this.

Something like

RNH, 1st, Jones or Bear
Duchene 2nd

I'll add that if we make a deal like this happen, let's do it. We lacked faceoff skill and speed against the Ducks. Make this move, and try to make a post expansion move for a Vatanen/Barrie type and we are laughing.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Examples?

I look at the summer UFA market and see Thornton, Gagner, Fisher and Bonino as the remainder of the crop of free agents at center. The market is very, very limited at the position. Hanzal is a rarity in a 6'6 physical center who can produce while facing top competition and he's signing what will be the biggest contract of his career. The only way anything comes close to that $4.5m number is if it goes for 7 years and has NMC on it.

I used Fran's Nielsen but he scored a lot more points than Hanzal, and Antoine Vermette when he signed back with the yotes, Eric Staal and Defensivelu responsibile wingers like Brouwer and Frolik.

I wouldn't be surprised if he signed for less to be honest.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I think we adding to this.

Something like

RNH, 1st, Jones or Bear
Duchene 2nd

I'll add that if we make a deal like this happen, let's do it. We lacked faceoff skill and speed against the Ducks. Make this move, and try to make a post expansion move for a Vatanen/Barrie type and we are laughing.

I would do RNH+2nd+Jones/Bear for Duchene
Then trade our 1st for Brock Nelson
Eberle for Kovalchuk

Maroon-McDavid-Kovalchuk
Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
Caggiula-Duchene-Nelson

3 line threat

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would do RNH+2nd+Jones/Bear for Duchene
Then trade our 1st for Brock Nelson
Eberle for Kovalchuk

Maroon-McDavid-Kovalchuk
Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev
Caggiula-Duchene-Nelson

3 line threat

I'd do RNH + Reinhart for Duchene + pick/prospect.

Honestly Eberle would not be a bad fit there either, so you could expand the deal from there.

Both teams have multiple talented players who just need to go somewhere else and start fresh.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'd do RNH + Reinhart for Duchene + pick/prospect.

Honestly Eberle would not be a bad fit there either, so you could expand the deal from there.

Both teams have multiple talented players who just need to go somewhere else and start fresh.

Maybe we could make a blockbuster deal to get Duchene and Barrie here. Honestly those are the type of players we need. I know Barrie gets flack for lack of defensive responsibility but we could shelter him in big games.

Duchene + Barrie for RNH, Ebs, Reinhart +1st (they can ship Ebs off if they want for more assets). We could also add a B prospect in there.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Maybe we could make a blockbuster deal to get Duchene and Barrie here. Honestly those are the type of players we need. I know Barrie gets flack for lack of defensive responsibility but we could shelter him in big games.

Duchene + Barrie for RNH, Ebs, Reinhart +1st (they can ship Ebs off if they want for more assets). We could also add a B prospect in there.

The thing that kinda bugs me about Barrie is he doesn't really have a booming point shot. Not sure if he's really the fix we need to our PP. He's like a Justin Schultz type player.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
You're suggesting the Knights--an upstart hockey team based in the desert--takes on $13m in salary this year and $10m the next, for a 3rd round draft pick?

I wonder if you could do Eberle and Pouliot for "future considerations."

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The number of myopic ideas in this thread is off the charts.

You don't give away 20 goal scorers for free, not even for cap space you only think you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad