Proposal: Rumors and Proposals IV | Excuse Me Sir, Could You Spare a RHD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Overall happy with Chia. That was my final thought in the last thread.

Additions since Chia (not limited to): McDavid (no brainer pick), Sekera, Maroon, Talbot, Larsson, Benson, Caggiula, Talbot, Paigin, Kassian, Jones, Bear, Ellis, Versteeg, Pulju, Niemalainen, et al.

Overall, who is unhappy with Chia? Lets debate this, please think for yourself. Don't be soft and let others tell us how we should feel about Chia.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Additions since Chia (not limited to): McDavid (no brainer pick), Sekera, Maroon, Talbot, Larsson, Benson, Caggiula, Talbot, Paigin, Kassian, Jones, Bear, Ellis, Versteeg, Pulju, Niemalainen, et al.

Overall, who is unhappy with Chia? Lets debate this, please think for yourself. Don't be soft and let others tell us how we should feel about Chia.

Doubled up on Talbot there. Worth re-noting I guess, he's been solid.

4 shutouts at the 2016 WHC with actual D in front of him. Led Canada to a Gold Medal, we got a good goalie in him.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

I like what he's done in general but proof is in the pudding. Time to win games. I have my concerns about the Lucic signing for sure, but there's lots of time yet to see how it turns out.

The idea that Lucic will prevent guys from being run is mostly a myth in my opinion but I just want him to play hockey so hopefully he can do that.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I like what he's done in general but proof is in the pudding. Time to win games. I have my concerns about the Lucic signing for sure, but there's lots of time yet to see how it turns out.

The idea that Lucic will prevent guys from being run is mostly a myth in my opinion but I just want him to play hockey so hopefully he can do that.

Lucic makes the team harder to play against on the whole and should open a bit of space up on the ice for McDavid and Eberle, which will be hugh in itself.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Lucic makes the team harder to play against on the whole and should open a bit of space up on the ice for McDavid and Eberle, which will be hugh in itself.

That's the theory. Maybe it's true, I don't know and don't think it can be proven one way or another. I'm actually beyond the point of trying to figure it out. Win games. That's all that matters. He looked slow and disengaged last night but most vets do in preseason so it's not even worth really talking about if I am being fair.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Most of Lucic's gas tank goes to trying to keep up with McDavid's 80% speed. By the time he was in the offensive zone, he was already tired

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton

The only slam dunk win is Maroon so far. Every other transaction is a question mark.

The 16th and 32nd for Reinhart is a fail. Especially since we had a choice between Barzal and Connor, two exceptional prospects. Gustavsson as a back up is a questionable choice and another top 4D was badly needed. Mark Fayne on the 2nd pair is alarming.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I've been very pleased with Chia. So far the only questionable trade has been the Reinhart one IMO and I understand the reasoning behind it but it hasn't paid off yet and may never pay off.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
The only slam dunk win is Maroon so far. Every other transaction is a question mark.

The 16th and 32nd for Reinhart is a fail. Especially since we had a choice between Barzal and Connor, two exceptional prospects. Gustavsson as a back up is a questionable choice for a back up and another top 4D was badly needed. Mark Fayne on the 2nd pair is alarming.

In general I agree, though I wouldn't call Talbot a question mark. He's been fantastic.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

I want Looch to be a big, power forward who creates time and space for McDavid. Don't really care about him fighting. Looch needs to be heavy on the forecheck, control the cycle, and crash the net. He needs to open up space for McDavid, that matters most.

We have Kassian and Nurse to scrap. Khaira will throw down too. Darnell is a warrior, he'll be one of the most feared players in the NHL very soon.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You know one trade that wasn't too bad that doesn't get mentioned is the Anders Nilsson trade.

Considering what we got for him and considering we still received a return. The guy did give us a lot more solid games than anyone would've really expected.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

And if someone takes liberties with McDavid he's right there. Last that I checked when Caggiula got elbowed Lucic wasn't on the ice, same with when Maroon got hit from behind. If McDavid got elbowed and Lucic did nothing then I can see why some would be pissed. It's preseason, a lot of goon types are trying to make a name for themselves, it's the nature of the beast.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You know what's funny is Maroon is slower than Lucic, yet a lot of people had no issue with him keeping up with Mcdavid.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

The 16th and 32nd for Reinhart is a fail. Especially since we had a choice between Barzal and Connor, two exceptional prospects. Gustavsson as a back up is a questionable choice for a back up and another top 4D was badly needed. Mark Fayne on the 2nd pair is alarming.

Extending Talbot and Klefbom on favourable deals was smart. Larsson on a favourable deal was good, Sekera will be in our top 4 for many years.

Nurse taking the next step, signing Ellis and Caggiula look good. I don't know, I think Chia has played this smart. We still have money to sign Drai and McDavid to long term deals. Larsson at a ~$4M hit is nice.

Chia is a riverboat gambler. Ok, Reinhart wasn't a good deal. Maroon, Caggiula, Talbot, Ellis, and Benning offset that.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
And if someone takes liberties with McDavid he's right there. Last that I checked when Caggiula got elbowed Lucic wasn't on the ice, same with when Maroon got hit from behind. If McDavid got elbowed and Lucic did nothing then I can see why some would be pissed. It's preseason, a lot of goon types are trying to make a name for themselves, it's the nature of the beast.

I don't understand how that helps. Isn't the point of having a crazy person in your lineup to prevent these injuries, not just to pound on someone after they happen?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Players that Chia has brought in: Lucic, Larsson, Sekera, Maroon, Talbot, Gustavsson, Reinhart, Gryba (PTO now), Kassian, Versteeg (PTO but likely to sign IMO), Letestu, Benning and Caggiula.

There's 2-3 meh's in there but the rest are useful players or promising prospects.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You know what's funny is Maroon is slower than Lucic, yet a lot of people had no issue with him keeping up with Mcdavid.

16 games is a small sample size tho. Not sure how valid that is if Yak's 10 games with McDavid holds no water

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don't understand how that helps. Isn't the point of having a crazy person in your lineup to prevent these injuries, not just to pound on someone after they happen?

If McDavid gets ran, there will be a ****ing war. I have no doubt about that. Think Nurse, Kassian, Lucic, Hendo, Khaira would tolerate that? It would get ugly. We would target other teams star players. Pavelski, Couture, Johnny, OEL, etc. would be targeted back.

If its in EDM, they better keep the hotel address confidential. There will be blood.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I think we're overblowing it a little. It was one game and Lucic didn't look great. If it continues the entire preseason then maybe start to worry.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
If McDavid gets ran, there will be a ****ing war. I have no doubt about that. Think Nurse, Kassian, Lucic, Hendo, Khaira would tolerate that? It would get ugly. We would target other teams star players. Pavelski, Couture, Johnny, OEL, etc. would be targeted back.

If its in EDM, they better keep the hotel address confidential. There will be blood.

Okay and so? So there is a war and it gets ugly and McDavid is still mangled. How did that help? I don't believe for a second that other star players would be targeted. That almost never happens in today's NHL.

If Lucic uses his size to create space and time for other players and it leads to win? Fantastic!
If Lucic (and others) are assumed to be useful in that they will punch people in the face AFTER someone gets run? A waste of time.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Okay and so? So there is a war and it gets ugly and McDavid is still mangled. How did that help? I don't believe for a second that other star players would be targeted. That almost never happens in today's NHL.

I doubt McDavid will be targeted in the first place. Looch can be similar to Messier/Semenko, warn the other team ahead of time.

McDavid is off limits. Touch him, we're going after your star players. Leave him alone, we leave their stars alone. It's almost more of a deterrent factor.

Semenko I think only fought once or twice because someone touched Gretzky (Gary Howatt is the only one that comes to mind).

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That's the theory. Maybe it's true, I don't know and don't think it can be proven one way or another. I'm actually beyond the point of trying to figure it out. Win games. That's all that matters. He looked slow and disengaged last night but most vets do in preseason so it's not even worth really talking about if I am being fair.

He looked rusty, but I'm not concerned at this time.

By hard to play against, I simply mean he's just such a large and strong man he is difficult for defensemen to handle.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

If Lucic uses his size to create space and time for other players and it leads to win? Fantastic!
If Lucic (and others) are assumed to be useful in that they will punch people in the face AFTER someone gets run? A waste of time.

That's the point. He's more valuable as a deterrent factor like Semenko/Messier were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad