Rumor: Ovechkin not to play in Washington?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MillerTime

Apr 27, 2003
Halifax
Peter Griffin said:
Does Bill Davidson still own the Lightning? If so, he's a billionaire owner at $1.9 billion. Charles Dolan, Rangers' owner is listed at $1.8 billion. Nancy Laurie, of Wal-Mart fame, own the St.Louis Blues with her husband Bill. Nancy is listed at $2.8 billion. Those are the only 3 owners I found.

Sabres owner Golisano is on there with 1.2 Billion....aint it nice to go from Bankrupt with no owner to one of the richest in the league !!

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
I don't know where it is, it's in a Russian article, and it's in my Ovehkin folder somewhere, but he said something about "Others offers I will not even begin to consider" and that he has "firmly decided" he will play for Dynamo forever (outside the NHL).

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Foppa_Rules said:
I don't know where it is, it's in a Russian article, and it's in my Ovehkin folder somewhere, but he said something about "Others offers I will not even begin to consider" and that he has "firmly decided" he will play for Dynamo forever (outside the NHL).

you have an Ovechkin folder? . . . *check's the rules in his Malkin web site* . . . no, folder's are not allowed at all . . .

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Ah, here is one of the times he mentions this issue,

Q. "Any other Russian Club did not try to entice?"

A. "Probably, someone enticed. It is better to ask parents. And in general, I am a radical Dynamo fan and very much want to play for the native club"

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
MrMackey said:
Billionaire Owners (2003)

Ottawa: Eugene Melnyk - $1.4B
Buffalo: Tom Golisano - $1.2B
Tampa Bay: William Davidson - $1.8B
Nashville: Craig Leipold - $7B
St. Louis: Bill Laurie - ~ $2.6B
Vancouver: John McCaw, Jr. - $1.1B
Los Angeles: Philip Anschutz - $5B
Colorado: Stanley Kroenke - $1.4B
NYR: Chuck Dolan - $1.4B
** Atlanta: Ted Turner (largest shareholder with 15%) - $2.3B

Total without Turner = $22.9B
Total with Turner = $25.2

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.com/dubi/2004/01/old_boss_new_bo.html

Actually, as someone said earlier, lots of teams are owned by corporations (Molson, Disney, etc..) and groups of owners, like the Caps for instance, who are actually owned by a group called Lincoln Holdings (combined net worth somewhere around $2.5 bill) with Leonsis as majority owner and operator.

And to answer someone's earlier question, Leonsis & co own 44% of the Wizards, MCI center, Mystics, and Ticketmaster.......and will own 100% within a few years.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
But I can't find the one that really seals the deal on this issue and should silence any doubts. I wish I had the quote. I looked through my whole Ovechkin folder and I can't find the exact quote. I've read it several times though so I know what he was saying. It was the one I mentioned before. (he said something about "Other offers I will not even begin to consider" and that he has "firmly decided" he will play for Dynamo forever (outside the NHL).

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Yup, I knew that Leonis took a hit, just did not know how hard of a hit . . .

Actually he cashed out most of his stock in time and still has a very sizable bank account.....lucky *******. With AOL where it is now he'd be outside MCI hockin game used sweaters and sticks after each game if he hadn't cashed out in time. :joker:

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Darz said:
As far as billionaire owners and so forth, remember alot of teams are owned by corporations and/or groups of owners.

The Rags are owned by Paramount which I'm sure has a few dollars, ditto Anahiem and Disney. The teachers union has a stake in the Leafs, and Molson still owns a chunk of the Habs, and so on.

Also on the topic of a billionaire russian owner throwing wads of money at Ovechkin. Most billionaire's didn't become billionaires by throwing huge amounts of money at a single player to play in a second tier league. This kind of stuff is left to the Bruce McNall's of the world.

Bingo!

Paramount is actually just a small piece of the Viacom empire, which generated about $27 billion in revenues last year and has issued stock worth somewhere between $60 billion and $70 billion at the end of last year.

Disney also has revenues of over $27 billion last year and reports equity of $23.8 billion.

And...while Forbes can put whatever value it wants on its lists, you have to be careful in dealing with these "billionaires". Value doesn't necessarily hold as many have discovered.

Bottom line imho is that a bidding war would be silly when it is to place a player on a team that can generate very little revenue, winning a league that attracts very little attention outside of Russia. This is not the equivalent of either the NHL or soccer in England.

Now - whether AO wants to cover off next year "just in case", who knows? But not at any price he chooses.

db23

I know that the McCaw's wouldn't mind selling their stake in the Canucks so maybe the Abramovich rumors there have some validity. It would explain why they don't seem to want to sign Brian Burke to a new contract. If they are thinking of selling, the new owners may have their own G.M. in mind.

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
MrMackey said:
Billionaire Owners (2003)

Ottawa: Eugene Melnyk - $1.4B
Buffalo: Tom Golisano - $1.2B
Tampa Bay: William Davidson - $1.8B
Nashville: Craig Leipold - $7B
St. Louis: Bill Laurie - ~ $2.6B
Vancouver: John McCaw, Jr. - $1.1B
Los Angeles: Philip Anschutz - $5B
Colorado: Stanley Kroenke - $1.4B
NYR: Chuck Dolan - $1.4B
** Atlanta: Ted Turner (largest shareholder with 15%) - $2.3B

Total without Turner = $22.9B
Total with Turner = $25.2

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.com/dubi/2004/01/old_boss_new_bo.html

And Ken Thompson(owner of Bell Globe Media) owns 15% of the Maple Leafs which is the 2nd biggest share in the company after the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund which owns 58%.

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
Trust me, I don't believe in karma. But if I did, the improbable scenario that AO would stay in Russia for a while would be the "catch" to this whole fiasco. It's hard to believe that a team that piles on payroll, plays ECHL talent down the stretch, and acquires Pittsburgh's best players for next to nothing could run away with such a unique talent. This may be the catch. I mean we're talking about the Caps here. Something has to go wrong.

SwOOsh*

MagnusJondus said:
Trust me, I don't believe in karma. But if I did, the improbable scenario that AO would stay in Russia for a while would be the "catch" to this whole fiasco. It's hard to believe that a team that piles on payroll, plays ECHL talent down the stretch, and acquires Pittsburgh's best players for next to nothing could run away with such a unique talent. This may be the catch. I mean we're talking about the Caps here. Something has to go wrong.

I forgot that it is better to play ECHL talent the whole season and come dead last, I'll have to try and remember that for Crosby :lol

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
SwOOsh said:
I forgot that it is better to play ECHL talent the whole season and come dead last, I'll have to try and remember that for Crosby :lol
This karma thing is starting to make sense afterall.

Maybe the future considerations the Pens got in the Jagr deal was actually a gentleman's handshake where the Caps owe the Pens a flop of future first rounders.

That would be karma best served. ;)

SwOOsh*

Or maybe Ovechkin is the Pens gift to the Capitals for beating them in the playoffs every year ;)

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Oh, dear. Look at this from the Soviet Sports....

- whether about "Avant guarde" asks? Speak, to you in Omsk have offered even more, than can give as the beginner of NHL in "Washington", - we are interested. Ovechkin only mysteriously smiles. Certainly, where it can leave native "Dynamo" to which for a year it is connected by the contract... Only in NHL. But there lock-out is expected.

KH1

Face it, Ovechkin's going to go to the NHL because of one major difference between the billions that Avangarde can offer and the billions that Ted Leonsis and the caps can offer is this: He will be the #1 overall pick in the draft. As far as anybody in the league is concerned, he will do to the NHL what Michael Jordan did to the NBA.

And he will make an enourmous amount of advertising money here. People are already buying Ovechkin jerseys. Imagine if he ever becomes a great player.

Hockeycrazed07

Jun 15, 2002
Buena Vista, VA
www.hockeycrazed.com
Yet more ammo to those who think nobody smart would choose an NHL team. I said earlier that the Sharks are a team that is supposedly losing money. Today, it was announced that the team acquired yet another public ice rink. Now, I don't know about you, but when I am losing money, I don't generally go out shopping. NHL teams are allowed to do so in the US because of the tax break they get for losing money in business. Thus, it's a GOOD idea to lose some amount in the NHL, while the team's owners gain in other areas.

~Crazed.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
King Henry I said:
And he will make an enourmous amount of advertising money here. People are already buying Ovechkin jerseys. Imagine if he ever becomes a great player.

Genuine question: Do the players own their image rights in the NHL or is it the franchise who get the money on their back? Do anyone know how this work? :dunno:

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
gb701 said:
Bottom line imho is that a bidding war would be silly when it is to place a player on a team that can generate very little revenue, winning a league that attracts very little attention outside of Russia. This is not the equivalent of either the NHL or soccer in England.

True but don't forget that Abramovich is also governor of one of the russian provinces. To have success in his own country could serve his political profile.
He has been highly criticised by some well established moscovites for his splashing of money out of Russia. Maybe Abramovich feels that he could reverse this feeling by keeping Ovechkin in the country for another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad