Rumor: Ovechkin not to play in Washington?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Just read on a russian source (gazeta.ru) that Ovechkin might have singed a very lucrative contract with Avandgard Omsk. A contract, Washington can't afford to challange. Though, Dynamo Moscow denied the rumor sayinf that Ovechkin wasn't to sale.

db23

Slick Nick said:
Just read on a russian source (gazeta.ru) that Ovechkin might have singed a very lucrative contract with Avandgard Omsk. A contract, Washington can't afford to challange. Though, Dynamo Moscow denied the rumor sayinf that Ovechkin wasn't to sale.

Omsk is owned by the Russian billioniare Roman Abramovich. He lives in England now and is the owner of Chelsea United. He has spent huge sums on some of the best European soccer players and made Chelsea into a powerhouse in just 2 years. Abramovich is probably as wealthy as all of the NHL owners combined.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
db23 said:
Omsk is owned by the Russian billioniare Roman Abramovich. He lives in England now and is the owner of Chelsea United. He has spent huge sums on some of the best European soccer players and made Chelsea into a powerhouse in just 2 years. Abramovich is probably as wealthy as all of the NHL owners combined.

Abramovich is worth $4 billion, roughly. There are at least several billionare NHL owners.

gburg2015

Apr 20, 2004
Washington DC
Ovechkin loves the NHL. He will come here, if you would have said that he wants to play for another team other than Washington. Than i would have believed that.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
db23 said:

Washington's Leonis comes to mind, hell I thought that his first name was 'Billionaire' and middle name was 'Owner' as they almost always preface his name with those two words, though his AOL stock dropping may have effected that status.

db23

gburg2015 said:
Ovechkin loves the NHL. He will come here, if you would have said that he wants to play for another team other than Washington. Than i would have believed that.

But there is no gaurantee that there will be an NHL next season. It makes perfect sense to me that Ovechkin would sign for a Russian team. A lot of NHL players are looking around in Europe for a p0lace to play next season.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Perez said:
If you're asking for more billionares well I think Melnyk is another one. Who's the owner of the Devils.. Isn't it Steinbrenner? not sure if he's billionare

A couple of the canadian teams as well are owned by billionaires as well, wasn't Ottowa bought by one after that bankruptcy? . . .I think that I hear that description ascribed to him, 'billionaire owner' in news stories.

leafaholix*

Ovechkin wants to play in the NHL.

He wouldn't do anything to jeopordize that.

GoM

Dec 17, 2003
Toronto
dailyfaceoff.com
He said in an interview last week that he'd consider it an honour to play for Washington, Chicago, whoever ended up drafting him. Unless he pulled a Lindros and refused to play for the team that likely will draft him, which I doubt based on everything I've heard about him, I don't believe this rumour one bit

Perez

Feb 27, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
A couple of the canadian teams as well are owned by billionaires as well, wasn't Ottowa bought by one after that bankruptcy? . . .I think that I hear that description ascribed to him, 'billionaire owner' in news stories.

Yeah, it's Melnyk.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
db23 said:

Judging by that Forbes list, I'd say your probably right... 10.6 billion should be more than the combined owners... I think that those NHL owners who are billionaires aren't in the big money catagory.

Having said that, I can't Ovechkin not playing in the NHL. If he wants to be in the NHL so much, the Caps will offer him enough money to get him out I think.

gburg2015

Apr 20, 2004
Washington DC
db23 said:
But there is no gaurantee that there will be an NHL next season. It makes perfect sense to me that Ovechkin would sign for a Russian team. A lot of NHL players are looking around in Europe for a p0lace to play next season.

True, but i don't think he would sign a deal unless there was a clause in it that said if there is NHL play he can go. For a guy who has stated he loves the NHL and dreams about playing there it would be pretty stupid to sign an contract now.

db23

tom_servo said:
Abramovich is worth $4 billion, roughly. There are at least several billionare NHL owners.

Actually, as of the list published about three weeks ago by Forbes, Abramovich was worth nearly $11 billion. He was the 13th richest individual in the world. I didn't see any names I recognized as NHL owners on the list. Eugene Melnyk just dropped off according to an article I read.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
gburg2015 said:
True, but i don't think he would sign a deal unless there was a clause in it that said if there is NHL play he can go. For a guy who has stated he loves the NHL and dreams about playing there it would be pretty stupid to sign an contract now.

It sounds gonzo, Ovechkin is crazy about the NHL.

It's more likely that Abramovich buys the Washington Capitals that Ovechkin refuses to play for the NHL.

gburg2015

Apr 20, 2004
Washington DC
db23 said:
Actually, as of the list published about three weeks ago by Forbes, Abramovich was worth nearly $11 billion. He was the 13th richest individual in the world. I didn't see any names I recognized as NHL owners on the list. Eugene Melnyk just dropped off according to an article I read.

Leonsis might not have 11 billion dollars, but i am sure he still has enough to buy Ovechkin out of a contract.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
I've been thinking though...

Just to play Devils advocate, flame me for this scenario.

1)Abramovich wants the Russian leagues to be on par with the NHL. He realizes that AO will give the league legitimacy, as he will probably be one of the best in the world.

2)He offers AO, lets say 30 million / year. This may sound outlandish, but he's spent about 500 million USD on buying Chelsea, and about 200 million on players last year, so it is not out of this world .

3)I don't see Leonis spending more than 10 million per year, especially if there is any kind of cap.

4)AO would have to choose between FAR less money in the NHL, and playing in the NHL, or making a tonne of money, and staying in his home country.

It would not be an automatic decision for me. If the situation were reversed, and someone was offering me a lot more money to stay in Canada, I'd probably take it. Having said all this, I still don't buy it... :)

db23

gburg2015 said:
Leonsis might not have 11 billion dollars, but i am sure he still has enough to buy Ovechkin out of a contract.

The thing is that Abramovich has said many times in regard to Chelsea that he will spend whatever it takes to win a championship. When David Beckham signed with Real Madrid, they included an impossible tranfer fee of something like $250 million dollars in the agreement to ensure that no team would ever try to raid Becks. But Abramovich said that if he had to he woudl pay that fee to bring Beckham back to England. Logic will prevail and Becks will probably be sold by Real for about $50 million, but it shows where Abramovich's priorities are. That siad, i doubt that he would try to do the same with Avangard since there is not the market in Russia to support extravagent expenditures. Then again the one in North America is a bit shakey at the moment as well.

db23

oil slick said:
I've been thinking though...

Just to play Devils advocate, flame me for this scenario.

1)Abramovich wants the Russian leagues to be on par with the NHL. He realizes that AO will give the league legitimacy, as he will probably be one of the best in the world.

2)He offers AO, lets say 30 million / year. This may sound outlandish, but he's spent about 500 million USD on buying Chelsea, and about 200 million on players last year, so it is not out of this world .

3)I don't see Leonis spending more than 10 million per year, especially if there is any kind of cap.

4)AO would have to choose between FAR less money in the NHL, and playing in the NHL, or making a tonne of money, and staying in his home country.

It would not be an automatic decision for me. If the situation were reversed, and someone was offering me a lot more money to stay in Canada, I'd probably take it. Having said all this, I still don't buy it... :)

that would never happen, since Russia could never support a team with a multi million dollar salaried player. It is more likely as someone else said that Abramovich would buy an NHL team. There have been some rumors that he is looking at the Vancouver Canucks. that may be why Brian Burke is not being re upped.

xerburt

Jul 25, 2002
vancouver
Visit site
i'm guessing that part of the reason big millionaires got that rich in the first place, is because they know how and where to spend there money - that is, not in an NHL franchise that would most likely be running in the red.............. hence, i can understand why there aren't many billionaire NHL franchise owners.

it's kinda like the guy who makes $120,000 a year and blows $70,000 on a new porsche. it looks good on ya, is totally fun, but kinda contradicts good sense. (and most of the time, it's for show - ie. to pick up girls!)

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Does Bill Davidson still own the Lightning? If so, he's a billionaire owner at $1.9 billion. Charles Dolan, Rangers' owner is listed at $1.8 billion. Nancy Laurie, of Wal-Mart fame, own the St.Louis Blues with her husband Bill. Nancy is listed at $2.8 billion. Those are the only 3 owners I found.

gburg2015

Apr 20, 2004
Washington DC
db23 said:
The thing is that Abramovich has said many times in regard to Chelsea that he will spend whatever it takes to win a championship. When David Beckham signed with Real Madrid, they included an impossible tranfer fee of something like $250 million dollars in the agreement to ensure that no team would ever try to raid Becks. But Abramovich said that if he had to he woudl pay that fee to bring Beckham back to England. Logic will prevail and Becks will probably be sold by Real for about $50 million, but it shows where Abramovich's priorities are. That siad, i doubt that he would try to do the same with Avangard since there is not the market in Russia to support extravagent expenditures. Then again the one in North America is a bit shakey at the moment as well.

European Soccer and Hockey are two polar opposites in terms of Salary's, lets not compare the two because there are a lot of soccer clubs willing to splash that type of cash for players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad