Rumor: No weighted draft lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
As long as the Penguins don't drop out of the top 10 I'm really not going to *****.

Now if we go from drafting 5th to 3rd(I'm not counting the trade to get the 1st pick) to 2nd(with the worst record) to drafting 24th or something like that...ugh.

I know the Penguins scouts are definitely with me. Greg Malone has said he'd gladly take a lesser chance at Crosby if there's a guarantee that the Pens won't fall out of the top 10.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
FlyersFan10 said:
Thank God for that. That weighted lottery system was the biggest farce that has ever been seen. I still have problems with the draft in itself simply because it rewards teams for playing like crap and having no intention on improving their teams. It also punishes good teams for building good teams.

What I'd like to see is system come into place where no team can end up with the number pick year after year. I'd also like to see a team penalized in terms of the following: If you finish last overall one year and you end up with the top pick, you had better improve in the standings by 15 points the next season or you will be bumped back five spots in the draft. That would force everyone to be competitive and ice competitive teams. Of course, I'll be sacrificed for that idea.

Totally agree. Under a new CBA, where organizations won't be able to buy a team, except in the upcoming months, the draft should get a complete makeover. And I like your idea. If poor management is the cause of your team being bad, they should not be rewarded year after year with the top picks. The slate is clean and everyone is on the same playing field now.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Macho Man said:
That's exactly what I meant. "the fix is out"as in "out of the question" or "not going to happen".

I've said it before, I'll say it again, New York is the 28th most popular place the NHL wants Sidney Crosby to be in. The Islanders and Devils are 29th and 30th.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
I've said it before, I'll say it again, New York is the 28th most popular place the NHL wants Sidney Crosby to be in. The Islanders and Devils are 29th and 30th.

Care to explain? Why wouldn't NHL want Crosby with the Rangers? NYR, LA, PHD... if Crosby blossoms to the upmost in any of those places, the NHL is bound to gain popularity in the States and win a prominent TV contract eventualy.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
The Macho Man said:
Care to explain? Why wouldn't NHL want Crosby with the Rangers? NYR, LA, PHD... if Crosby blossoms to the upmost in any of those places, the NHL is bound to gain popularity in the States and win a prominent TV contract eventualy.
woosh.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
The Macho Man said:
As opposed to believing the "1 ball for every missed playoff season" lottery?

As I remember it, the League never confirmed that either.

These are all unconfirmed reports by the media. All of it. Olympic participation is only a rumour too. The NHL and PA have left everyone in the dark. All we can do is speculate.

At least semi-reputable news outlets carried these stories. This draft rumor is all on what a few posters may have heard on radio stations that may or may not be making things up.

gerbilanium

Oct 17, 2003
As a Flames fan I think that is the fairest way, even though having the hope of having 3 balls (in the lottery of course) makes this system sting a bit. More of a justification of keeping potential solutions under wraps with no leaks.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
nomorekids said:
At least semi-reputable news outlets carried these stories. This draft rumor is all on what a few posters may have heard on radio stations that may or may not be making things up.

Well if you read the 1st post in the thread again... it was anounced by Yvon Pednault (who is reputed -see the hockey News- see Hot Stove on CBC once in a while). I watched him say it on TSN's french sister station. It is as legit a source that can come from French Quebec.

The Bettman Plan came from a newspaper in Alberta. Not any more reputable a source.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
I dont know why people are shocked for this. While every team is putting up their united front against the players they are still a separate business. And whats best for them matters. For the majority of teams a 1 in 30 odds probably seemed like better odds than a weighted lottery. And thats how they voted in this matter. (allegedly)

Spungo*

DW3 said:
Luongo wouldn't be as affected as much as most people think he would. What would hurt him the most would be another season with the swiss cheese defense we've had lately. But the were showing progress last season, plus a new coach to help teach them, and I was looking forward to a very competive team.

As for the lottery draft, I've said before and I'll say again, teams that've had steady success for the last few seasons (Wings, leafs, Avs, etc.) shouldn't be allowed into it. These teams need the "Messiah" or some other high pick like I need a hole my head. It should be given to teams that need them (like the draft is meant to be), not to teams that already have a roster of talent that have been successful season after season.

BTW- I'd be feeling this way even my team wasn't one of the ones who'd suffered over the last few seasons.

As far as I know, the Wings, Leafs and Avs will have less than half their teams intact when the season starts.

In fact, high payroll teams will be at a disadvantage because they have no cap room for free agents. How is it fair to give a team like Pittsburgh or Atlanta the #1 pick and then allow them to have the pick of the litter of free agents while the Leafs, Avs, Wings are stuck with crappy draft picks and crappy free agents?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
FlyersFan10 said:
I think though that if you're drafting first overall year after year after year after year and you aren't making any progress, then I think something needs to be addressed. There should be no reason why a team can't improve from one season to the next. If, as a team, your whole concept is to be mired in mediocrity for a five year period, while expecting your fans to pay top dollar for tickets and you aren't doing anything in the meantime to improve your team, then no, you shouldn't be consistently rewarded with the 1st overall choice. It's a joke. The draft does nothing to make bad teams want to get better. It allows for mediocrity and that's something that the league needs to address.

There have been very few teams in the history of the draft that hasn't been able to pull itself into the playoffs after drafting high for a period of a few years.

If you really believe that ANYONE considers drafting high to be any kind of goal that's more important than building a winning team, then you need something, ANYTHING, to remove your horrible cynicism. I'm a pretty cynical person, but that's just flat-out ridiculous.

Fact is, rebuilding in the NHL usually takes right around 5 years. This isn't an arbitrary number, it's something that has happened over and over again. Bad managament can cause it not to work (see Carolina Hurricanes, Florida Panthers, Anaheim Mighty Ducks). But adequate management shows that it does work (see San Jose Sharks, Tampa Bay Lightning, Ottawa Senators, Detroit Red Wings, Colorado Avalanche, Philadelphia Flyers, New York Rangers [early 90s], New Jersey Devils).

The draft's goal isn't to make teams want to get better, as you imply. It's to make teams ABLE to get better. And it works, as proven by the 8 examples listed above

MontrealCruiser_83*

The Macho Man said:
The NHL is probably the least cared for league in NY. You have the Mets, Yanks, Jets, Giants, Nets, and Knicks (I'm probably forgetting a couple) that get media coverage ahead of the Rangers and the NHL in general. Crosby won't be able to change that.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
MontrealCruiser_83 said:
The NHL is probably the least cared for league in NY. You have the Mets, Yanks, Jets, Giants, Nets, and Knicks (I'm probably forgetting a couple) that get media coverage ahead of the Rangers and the NHL in general. Crosby won't be able to change that.

None of which matters. The NHL benefits by having Crosby in NY, rather than Columbus or Colorado, or even LA and Atlanta, because that's where most of the sponsors and advertising are based.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tawnos said:
None of which matters. The NHL benefits by having Crosby in NY because that's where most of the sponsors and advertising is.

What's your point?

LeBron James, Michael Vick and Ken Griffey, Jr don't play in New York

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
that's horrible. Just because we missed one season means that tampa bay and washington have an equal chance. how ridiculous and absurd...it has to be somewhat weighted or else it just doesn't make sense. they really want this to be a spectacle and it's unfair to teams who have suffered in the passed years. As a fan I have suffered through 7 ****** years and I think it's BS that I don't have a better chance then NJ, Phily, Detroit or Colorado who have been fortunate for the passed 7 years. This kid can bring a team to greatness for the next 15 years and to make it an equal opportunity shot at him makes no sense to teams who are worse off then others. I hated the 3 balls, 2 balls, 1 ball method because I thought that wasn't weighed enough, but now this...absolutly horrendous. This is become so much of a business it's gross. I'm ashamed of the league.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
go kim johnsson said:
What's your point?

LeBron James, Michael Vick and Ken Griffey, Jr don't play in New York

And imagine if they did? No one is saying that Crosby wouldn't be successful wherever he is. Relatively though, and only relatively, NY is a better place, but not the only good one because anywhere is good.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Tawnos said:
And imagine if they did? No one is saying that Crosby wouldn't be successful wherever he is. Relatively though, and only relatively, NY is a better place, but not the only good one because anywhere is good.

Personally I think NY is too big for the kid. Boston, Chicago, Montreal or LA suits him well

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Now we're getting into something else entirely... whether or not he can handle it. But that's a subjective thing that none of us can actually know without knowing him.

King_Brown

Only fair way to go about this great situation. It will hopefully be a great new world for the Calgary Flames the leagues model franchise with the best player in the world. Hopefully we can get the 1st overall pick and get Crosby to play alongside a mega super duper star like Jarome "The Superstar" Iginla, and Dion "The next great one" Phanuef.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
As long as the Penguins don't drop out of the top 10 I'm really not going to *****.

Now if we go from drafting 5th to 3rd(I'm not counting the trade to get the 1st pick) to 2nd(with the worst record) to drafting 24th or something like that...ugh.

I know the Penguins scouts are definitely with me. Greg Malone has said he'd gladly take a lesser chance at Crosby if there's a guarantee that the Pens won't fall out of the top 10.

Exactly. Even as a Ranger fan, I couldnt give a crap if PHI got the first pick. These are all plans for the Crosby show, not the draft in itself. Noone really cares what happens, as long as their team nabs Crosby. Which I think is terrible because there are some definite studs in this draft past pick number one.

Blueshirts4me

Mar 11, 2003
Visit site
This is so bleeping absurd. If one more fan comes in and says you never know what would have happened this year, I gonna flip a bleep. They should do a weighted lottery, no matter what.

MontrealCruiser_83*

Tawnos said:
None of which matters. The NHL benefits by having Crosby in NY, rather than Columbus or Colorado, or even LA and Atlanta, because that's where most of the sponsors and advertising are based.
Actually it does. Why would advertising and sponsorship agencies be interested in a star hockey player who unfortunately tops out at page 2 of the sport section on a slow day.

King_Brown

Blueshirts4me said:
This is so bleeping absurd. If one more fan comes in and says you never know what would have happened this year, I gonna flip a bleep. They should do a weighted lottery, no matter what.

Explain how that is fair? And provide hard examples with your answers also, as to why its not fair to give every team a chance, since there was no season, and no way in the world knowing what the results would of been.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
King_Brown said:
Only fair way to go about this great situation. It will hopefully be a great new world for the Calgary Flames the leagues model franchise with the best player in the world. Hopefully we can get the 1st overall pick and get Crosby to play alongside a mega super duper star like Jarome "The Superstar" Iginla, and Dion "The next great one" Phanuef.
Flames already won the lottery when they drafted Phaneuf ..everything after that is just gravy from now on ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->