Rumor: No weighted draft lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
To add to the fairness .. They should reset and redo the lottery picking each round ..

So instead on someone winning the 1st pick and then 1st pick in every round this would be more random ..

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Epsilon said:
I want to see this happen, not because I care where my team is picking, but because of the people who will whine and cry if this takes place.
Me too.
Plus I think this is better anyway.
75% of the league are free agents one way or another. Its basically the fairest playing field you can get right now.

FacelessButcher

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
The Messenger said:
To add to the fairness .. They should reset and redo the lottery picking each round ..

So instead on someone winning the 1st pick and then 1st pick in every round this would be more random ..
Last I heard snake drafting was still going to be implemented.

FlyersFan10*

The Macho Man said:
Yvon Peldnault (who is anually ranked by THN as 1 of hockey's 100 most influential people) just stated on RDS (french TSN) that Bettman's plans to have a weighted lottery system have been abolished.

Teams reportedly would rather each have 1 shot out of 30 to win the lottery.

I'm just the messenger here.

edit: here's another poster who heard it too... http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=146727

Thank God for that. That weighted lottery system was the biggest farce that has ever been seen. I still have problems with the draft in itself simply because it rewards teams for playing like crap and having no intention on improving their teams. It also punishes good teams for building good teams.

What I'd like to see is system come into place where no team can end up with the number pick year after year. I'd also like to see a team penalized in terms of the following: If you finish last overall one year and you end up with the top pick, you had better improve in the standings by 15 points the next season or you will be bumped back five spots in the draft. That would force everyone to be competitive and ice competitive teams. Of course, I'll be sacrificed for that idea.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
The Macho Man said:
Tampa is very good now (obviously) if they can hang on to Khabibulan and St. Louis.

Atlanta, Washington and Florida all have a very bright future thanks to the prospects they've drafted since 2001.

Carolina on the other hand... Well management managed to mess up as usual.
we have staal-cole-j williams-vasicek-plus cam ward and andrew ladd coming in and brindamor to lead them (the year off hopefully has healed brindy and o'neill as they both played hurt for most of the last year) we should be on the upswing after hitting bottom from our rebuild. the main regret i have is losing sean hill to the panthers, we are going to miss his attitude on the ice.

DW3

May 13, 2004
The Macho Man said:
Tampa is very good now (obviously) if they can hang on to Khabibulan and St. Louis.

Atlanta, Washington and Florida all have a very bright future thanks to the prospects they've drafted since 2001.

Carolina on the other hand... Well management managed to mess up as usual.

I agree with you on all of it but Wsh. I didn't really see them having a good year this season before the lockout. IMO- Atl. and Fla. were set to come out of the SE kicking and screaming, probably getting a 6,7, or seed (T.B. getting 2 or 3), but Wsh. and Car. fighting for a #1 draft pick. After all the jokes about being the "south least conference" it's was their season to take it, with at least 2 of the teams making to the second round of the playoffs.

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
I agree with you on all of it but Wsh. I didn't really see them having a good year this season before the lockout. IMO- Atl. and Fla. were set to come out of the SE kicking and screaming, probably getting a 6,7, or seed (T.B. getting 2 or 3), but Wsh. and Car. fighting for a #1 draft pick. After all the jokes about being the "south least conference" it's was their season to take it, with at least 2 of the teams making to the second round of the playoffs.

IMO-Tampa and Atlanta are definatly the best in the division. I would want to see how the possible goalie equipment changes affect Luongo before I pronounce the Panthers as playoff bound. (Its harder to stop pucks when you dont have the buildings strapped to your legs. :D ) Washington and Carolina still have their work cut out for them

As for Crosby-being a Tampa fan, I would love to have the same odds as Pittsburgh or Washington to get him. If Tampa ended up picking first, there would be a huge fallout though.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
FlyersFan10 said:
Thank God for that. That weighted lottery system was the biggest farce that has ever been seen. I still have problems with the draft in itself simply because it rewards teams for playing like crap and having no intention on improving their teams. It also punishes good teams for building good teams.

What I'd like to see is system come into place where no team can end up with the number pick year after year. I'd also like to see a team penalized in terms of the following: If you finish last overall one year and you end up with the top pick, you had better improve in the standings by 15 points the next season or you will be bumped back five spots in the draft. That would force everyone to be competitive and ice competitive teams. Of course, I'll be sacrificed for that idea.

But its only fair for the fans of the mediocre teams that they see light at the end of the tunnel. They deserve to see their teams draft high because this gives them a chance to succeed fairly (rather than having a cap re-distribute the players thus rewarding teams that manage their team poorly). I firmly believe that teams must build themselves through trades and the draft...not only through free agency as is seen in the NFL. This ensures all teams have a chance of being a contender for an extended period of time (if managed well). Cap systems (if done with SIGNIFICANT revenue sharing) tear such teams apart.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I hope it is a snake draft, that would soften the blow for teams finishing low in the lottery draw.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
Everyone needs their bone.

The small market owners get their cap.

The players will get theirs in the form of younger free agency.

The big market teams will get theirs in the form of a one-time totally random draft.

The fans... well... we just get our fix back. Take it or leave it, I guess.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
HockeyCritter said:
We do - - - providing Semin, Ovechkin, Ouellet, Fehr and company live up to their potential . . . . I see lots of Cap-Thrasher fighting for first in our future (a few seasons down the road)

I think a situation like that could be a great thing for the NHL, a situation similar to the old Battle of Alberta days when Edmonton and Calgary were having some hellacious games against eachother.

DW3

May 13, 2004
gobolt7 said:
IMO-Tampa and Atlanta are definatly the best in the division. I would want to see how the possible goalie equipment changes affect Luongo before I pronounce the Panthers as playoff bound. (Its harder to stop pucks when you dont have the buildings strapped to your legs. :D ) Washington and Carolina still have their work cut out for them

As for Crosby-being a Tampa fan, I would love to have the same odds as Pittsburgh or Washington to get him. If Tampa ended up picking first, there would be a huge fallout though.

Luongo wouldn't be as affected as much as most people think he would. What would hurt him the most would be another season with the swiss cheese defense we've had lately. But the were showing progress last season, plus a new coach to help teach them, and I was looking forward to a very competive team.

As for the lottery draft, I've said before and I'll say again, teams that've had steady success for the last few seasons (Wings, leafs, Avs, etc.) shouldn't be allowed into it. These teams need the "Messiah" or some other high pick like I need a hole my head. It should be given to teams that need them (like the draft is meant to be), not to teams that already have a roster of talent that have been successful season after season.

BTW- I'd be feeling this way even my team wasn't one of the ones who'd suffered over the last few seasons.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
HockeyCritter said:
Which teams?

I can't imagine Columbus, Rangers, Washington, Chicago, Phoneix, Florida, or Pittsburgh are too keen on one ball per team . . . . though I guess Toronto, Philly, Detroit, and Colorado are all ready to wet themselves with excitement.

Don't forget us Devils! :D

FlyersFan10*

jericholic19 said:
But its only fair for the fans of the mediocre teams that they see light at the end of the tunnel. They deserve to see their teams draft high because this gives them a chance to succeed fairly (rather than having a cap re-distribute the players thus rewarding teams that manage their team poorly). I firmly believe that teams must build themselves through trades and the draft...not only through free agency as is seen in the NFL. This ensures all teams have a chance of being a contender for an extended period of time (if managed well). Cap systems (if done with SIGNIFICANT revenue sharing) tear such teams apart.

I think though that if you're drafting first overall year after year after year after year and you aren't making any progress, then I think something needs to be addressed. There should be no reason why a team can't improve from one season to the next. If, as a team, your whole concept is to be mired in mediocrity for a five year period, while expecting your fans to pay top dollar for tickets and you aren't doing anything in the meantime to improve your team, then no, you shouldn't be consistently rewarded with the 1st overall choice. It's a joke. The draft does nothing to make bad teams want to get better. It allows for mediocrity and that's something that the league needs to address.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
snakepliskin said:
we have staal-cole-j williams-vasicek-plus cam ward and andrew ladd coming in and brindamor to lead them (the year off hopefully has healed brindy and o'neill as they both played hurt for most of the last year) we should be on the upswing after hitting bottom from our rebuild. the main regret i have is losing sean hill to the panthers, we are going to miss his attitude on the ice.

If Justin Williams and Erik Cole are 2 of your main 6 elements that you are building your future on... (Justin Williams in particular)... You are going nowhere fast. Especialy when a bulk of your games will be against ATL, WSH and FLA 2 to 5 years from now.

In response to some other post, I said THE FUTURE was bright for WSH. Not this upcoming season or their imediate present. They have the top prospect group... they will be a dangerous team when they've all matured.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I would agree with this decision, the bad teams in 03-04 were compensated accordingley at the 2004 draft. Now the slate is clean. It's not going to be popular among the bad teams but it's true, and if you are still bad and don't get better, you'll be rewarded in 06.

The unfortunate part is the quality of the number one pick this year. To bad it wasn't a Patrick Stefan draft class.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Le Golie said:
I would agree with this decision, the bad teams in 03-04 were compensated accordingley at the 2004 draft. Now the slate is clean. It's not going to be popular among the bad teams but it's true, and if you are still bad and don't get better, you'll be rewarded in 06.

The unfortunate part is the quality of the number one pick this year. To bad it wasn't a Patrick Stefan draft class.
But should you really be bad with 400 UFA to pick from is the big question ??

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
nomorekids said:
Call me crazy, but I'd like to hear an actual confirmation from the league before I believe this.

As opposed to believing the "1 ball for every missed playoff season" lottery?

As I remember it, the League never confirmed that either.

These are all unconfirmed reports by the media. All of it. Olympic participation is only a rumour too. The NHL and PA have left everyone in the dark. All we can do is speculate.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Messenger said:
But should you really be bad with 400 UFA to pick from is the big question ??

NO ONE has 400 UFAs to pick from. There are 400 FAs. That includes (the grand majority of them) RFAs. Most of the teams are set. Signed players + RFAs not under contract. A couple trades to get under or over the cap. UFAs only account for a minority of players as long as the age drops to 30 for this season as predicted.

NYI can't fill 14 spots with UFAs. They have to tend qualifying offers to their RFAs or they'll be paying too many players (UFAs) too high and they'll never fit under a cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->