Jan 3, 2004
It is now almost certain(let's assume it is and not debate THAT matter)that
the NHL is introducing some substantial rule changes to open up the game
and make it more exciting including getting rid of the red line and reducing
the size of Goalie equipment amongst others.Will these changes have a
significant effect on a prospects potential in the NHL? Which players
do you see moving up as prospects because of the changes .Are there any
prospects whose value may decline?

I will let you guys start it off and I will add later.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
The AHL used alot of the rules changes this year. One of my favorites being the touch up off-side. I actually added up every teams projected goals for the season at about the half way point and figured out that it increase scoring a little over 2% if memory servers.

So I would say realistically almost no effect on players selected this year.

Off on a tangent I think the obvious way to open up scoring is to change all the rules back to what they were during the highest scoreing years 1980 to 1990.

If this doesn't work you pretty much have to break down and go for 4 on 4 all the time or bigger nets IMO.

p.s. Anyone know where you can find a copy of old NHL rule books? I've been interested in comparing these rules to the current system for a while. I think that 2 of the biggest changes that no one talks about are the shrinking of the neutral zone and more players on the bench, also the instigator rule which everyone talks about.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
West said:
The AHL used alot of the rules changes this year. One of my favorites being the touch up off-side. I actually added up every teams projected goals for the season at about the half way point and figured out that it increase scoring a little over 2% if memory servers.

So I would say realistically almost no effect on players selected this year.

Off on a tangent I think the obvious way to open up scoring is to change all the rules back to what they were during the highest scoreing years 1980 to 1990.

If this doesn't work you pretty much have to break down and go for 4 on 4 all the time or bigger nets IMO.

p.s. Anyone know where you can find a copy of old NHL rule books? I've been interested in comparing these rules to the current system for a while. I think that 2 of the biggest changes that no one talks about are the shrinking of the neutral zone and more players on the bench, also the instigator rule which everyone talks about.
If the NHL reduces the size of the goalie pads that is going to
make the biggest difference .It will even effect the position of the defencemen.
Players with good perimiter shots are going to have more goals and it will
allow for better chances on the angle especially for speedy puck carriers.
Anyway let's not try and get to bogged down with if the changes work-
let's assume they will.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
pei fan said:

Blackhawks' prospect Corey Crawford could see his stock drop if goaltending equipment is streamlined... I've watched him play here in Moncton for a couple of years and he's a very similar goaltender to Giguere... Big Big equipment (Pads are HUGE) and he squares up and lets the puck hit him for the most part...

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Sergei Mozyakin's stock might rise.
For this draft year how about Brule although he is already rated high,I think
the rule changes might help him.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Kaigorodov may benefit as well. New rules and CBA... And offcourse superb season in the RSL.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
pei fan said:

Things such as the removal of the red line and no-touch icing isn't going to hurt the former collegians (particularly like those who left college within the last year or two) because the NCAA has had these rules in place for a long time. If anything, I think it will give the newest former collegians (that's those that just played in played in the NCAA and are now making the jump to the pros or did near the end of the previous season) a leg up on say the players coming fresh out of the Canadian Major Junior league.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
pei fan said:
If the NHL reduces the size of the goalie pads that is going to
make the biggest difference .

I think most fans under estimate how much goaltending has improved over the last 10 or so years. People such as Patrick Roy have said that the weight and the protection provided by new pads has allowed from a revolution in goaltending technique. Making the pads smaller will obviously help but IMO it will be a very subtle improvement.

pei fan said:
Anyway let's not try and get to bogged down with if the changes work-
let's assume they will.

I disagree with statement in ways to numerous to mention so I won't. :sarcasm:

p.s. AHL improve by GPG improved by 4.7% this year.
p.s.s. The college and european leagues are facing the same scoring problems as the NHL. Why do so many people think emulating those leagues will open up scoring in the NHL???

Roy's argument is that 20 years ago you wanted to stop the puck with your glove, blocker, stick, leg pads or you'd be feeling it the next day. These days goalies are so well protected they just want to throw any part of their body in front of the puck. Also the lightness of the equipment greatly improves a goalies mobility allowing him to come out and challenge farther and faster and greatly improves his lateral mobility.

He goes on to mention conditioning and average goalie heights increasing faster than the rest of the players and that lighter pads means you can have bigger pads but you very much get the impression that it's an after thought on the whole subject matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad