ROY just got more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transported Upstater

Jon Prescription said:
Nice that both Ward and Lundqvist have looked great in their debuts. Great to see some young gun goalies break into the league that weren't that hyped when drafted (ala Fleury / Luongo).

Call me insane, but I think Lundqvist has more potential than Montoya...

Rolexmaster

Aug 3, 2005
all joking aside..........Ovechkin plays with half the talent Crosby plays with and still puts up big numbers...I think it's clear that if it continues like this Ovechkin deserves it more....however, the NHL is hooked on Crosby so he will probably get the Rookie Award :shakehead

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
And you base your opinion on what? Gut feeling? Ward has better stats with worst teams than Toivonen. Had Toivonen played with Lowell last season and Ward had some D with the Bruins it would have been an easy choice as to who is better. Sure one season isn't a complete representation of a player's abilities, but Ward had to be the go to guy every game, and he handled it like a pro.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
JOHNBOY said:
I hope your not talking about Ryan Miller cuase he has lost his elgibility...Now Vanek on the other hand is eligible and very very able IMO... :yo:

To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league. The player must not be older than 26 years before September 15 of the season in which he is eligible.

RYAN MILLER 30

Goalie
Height 6' 2"
Weight 166
Catches Left
Born Jul 17, 1980 As of September 15, 2005, 25 years of age
East Lansing, MI, USA

Buffalo Sabres's 5th-round choice (138th overall) in the 1999 NHL Entry Draft.
Game By Game Stats: 2005-2006
Career Regular Season Stats
Season Team GP MIN W L T GA SO Avg
2002-2003 Sabres 15 912 6 8 1 40 1 2.63
2003-2004 Sabres 3 177 0 3 0 15 0 5.06
2005-2006 Sabres 4 244 3 1 0 12 0 2.95

NHL Totals 22 1,334 9 12 1 67 1 3.01

Never played in more that 26 games in a season, or in more than 6 in any two preceding seasons.

Looks eligible to me.

Tico

Oct 22, 2003
Visit site
futurcorerock said:
Hey Guys! Does anyone realize we're less than a week into the season!

OMG!

And that Marek Svatos leads ALL ROOKIES in goals scored! Take that all you CrosVechkin groupies! OMG!

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
yep Svatos has 4 goals and 1 assist in 2 games, as much points as Crosby and as much goals as Crosby and Ovechkin put together!. Not saying he will win the calder but if he keeps it up the way he is playing he can sure contend for it!

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
knight44 said:
yep Svatos has 4 goals and 1 assist in 2 games, as much points as Crosby and as much goals as Crosby and Ovechkin put together!. Not saying he will win the calder but if he keeps it up the way he is playing he can sure contend for it!

Hmmm.. i think I will go on the record saying that if he does keep up that pace he will win the Calder. 162 goals and 205 points is pretty difficult to ignore

Transported Upstater

EagleBelfour said:
Your talking about the Vézina or the Calder now?

What's the ROY award, the goaltender eating the most fries in a year? :dunno:

:D

Transported Upstater

Rolexmaster said:
all joking aside..........Ovechkin plays with half the talent Crosby plays with and still puts up big numbers...I think it's clear that if it continues like this Ovechkin deserves it more....however, the NHL is hooked on Crosby so he will probably get the Rookie Award :shakehead

In case you're wondering, Crosby-Ovechkin-hype arguments are "Public Enemy #1" right now to the mods...

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
freakazoid said:
Believe it or not, but Martin Gerber's injury has just affected the ROY race. The mostly overlooked prospect Cam Ward is now the #1 goalie in Carolina, and, well, if anyone didn't see him stop Mario, Crosby, and Palffy in the shootout last night, the kid is freaking amazing. From all the hype about the next generation of goaltenders in Lehtonen/Toivonen/Miller/Niitymaki/Lundqvist/Fleury Ward is very often ommited, but from following him for a couple of years now I know one thing, the kid is the real deal. Out of that group, I'd take only Lehtonen ahead of him, and that is assuming he isn't injury prone. Don't be surprised if Ward pulls a better-that-Raycroft type of season out of his hat and take the ROY award. The way he owned the AHL in his first season last year should be of some indication of how great this kid really is. There you have it, my money for ROY is on Ward :jump: .

Considering how Miller & Niitymaki played in the AHL last year, Ward is just behind them.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
You do realize that Ward was 20 years old last year (an AHL rookie), yet still led the league in save percentage, on a bad Lowell team.

And now, he's posted very good NHL numbers despite getting two goals scored in his own net by his defensemen.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Staal has officially said, "Im here too!" 8 pts with 5 goals in 5 games! For the canes of all teams! When was the last time they had a player leading the league in goals and points?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
hockeyman28 said:
Staal has officially said, "Im here too!" 8 pts with 5 goals in 5 games! For the canes of all teams! When was the last time they had a player leading the league in goals and points?
Is Staal still eligible?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hasbro said:
Is Staal still eligible?
sorry, i was just mentioning him as a good young player, wasnt really paying attention to the title of the thread, i was just reading about alot of young players and felt compelled to mention Staal. But yeah he played a full season in 03-04.

Transported Upstater

hockeyman28 said:
sorry, i was just mentioning him as a good young player, wasnt really paying attention to the title of the thread, i was just reading about alot of young players and felt compelled to mention Staal. But yeah he played a full season in 03-04.

I also am a big Staal fan. #1 player in the 2003 draft.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
hockeyman28 said:
Oh, sorry.

ETA: It'll be interesting to see what the Staal family does in the NHL. Could be the next Sutters, but more talented.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->