Series Talk: Round Two | Pittsburgh Penguins take on the Washington Capitals... again (Caps Win 4-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Find it hard to believe as a few days rest wont heal his hands magically. They have 2 chances to beat us finally, don't think they wanna waste it.
I don’t disagree. I read their board earlier today and saw some of that speculation. We’ll find out soon enough. I would assume something is broken in his hand. If it’s something that can be made worse, I doubt he plays. If it’s sometbing they can numb/he can tolerate pain wise, he might give it a go.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
My pre-game thoughts.

1. Don't panic. We've been here before with Tampa in 2016. We were 3-3 with Washington in 2017. Against elimination is an uneasy feeling for us as of late. Only twice have we been there. I believe this will light an extra little flame under the boys.

2. We have played well enough to win 4 games out of the 5. Playoffs are as much about luck as anything. We should know what all too well from 2016 and 2017, ESPECIALLY 2017. Fact is, sometimes the puck goes your way, some times it doesn't. That's hockey, that's life. 4 of the 5 could have gone either way. Just like in 16 and 17 against the Caps. They've been in our shoes, we are now in theirs. Keep the heads up because we've played well enough to win and I believe we will continue to play well enough to win.

3. Home game. Crowd can help. I don't think Sid nor the rest of the team wants to let down the crowd on home ice.

4. This is really coming down to individual players performing. We can yak it up all day on who has played well and who hasn't. Fact is, playoffs isn't about playing well. It's about winning. To win, you need to produce. Only Sid, Jake, Geno, and Horny have done that. The rest haven't. For this team to pull the next two, more players have to start contributing. And not just nice looking zone time, cool cycles, and chest snipes. No. f***ing Kessel needs to start firing that puck in the god damn net. Brassard needs to figure his shit out, build on what he's done and start firing the f***ing puck into the god damn net. Rust and Sheary need to start putting the f***ing puck in the f***ing net. Hagelin needs to start producing with Malkin and Horny, period. The 4 line needs to chip in a damn goal, same with the defenders.

At this point, I don't give a shit who's "had good games" or "who looked good". That doesn't mean shit right now. Why? We are down 3-2 and we've missed enough opportunities over the last 5 games to have swept this series. To win Cups, the entire team needs to contribute. We are not getting that. They are capable though. They need to start doing it. Bottom line, brass tax, at the end of the day, all it comes down to...is those players that are on the team to put the f***ing puck in the net to start putting the f***ing puck in the net. End.

5. Murray needs to beat Holtby this game. I don't give a damn about the defense. I get that aspect. I do. But if that's the defense we are going to get we need Murray to be on top of his game. He hasn't been the Murray of 16 and 17. Again, no more "but he's played well". He has. I don't discount what he's done. But he needs to win tonight. He needs to win the goalie battle. Two games 100% up for grabs...and he hasn't. Chance for chance, Holtby has bested him...bigly...this series.

6. PP needs to start firing the puck. If Kessel won't shoot, Sully/Recchi need to replace him with someone who will. Time for feelings and pride is done. Fact is, Kessel has been dog shit this playoffs. If you want to win, you need to look to players who will help you win. Right now, that's not Kessel.

7. Stay out of the box. That will 100% be our undoing tonight if we let it. This can NOT be overstated enough. Stay out of the box. Period.

8. Simon off the top line. Try Sheary or Rust.

Jake-Sid-Sheary
Hags-Geno-Horny
Rust-Sheahan-Kessel
Kuhn-Brass-Simon

9. This game will come down to who buries chances. Bury the chances you get. Washington will be out for blood and will be 100% playing to not let up a chance. I'm expecting an intensely emotional game with hard checking from them while playing the utmost effective 2-way hockey. This one (and maybe next one) will not be easy. We can't afford to piss away chances on pretty passes.

10. Letang can not be the Letang from Game 5. That is 100% for certain. We've seen the ability for ONE player to give away a game. That simply can not happen tonight. If need be, his minutes need to be sheltered and others need to step up. This guy will cost us the series if the coaches let him. Can't be allowed to happen. Time for feelings is done. Letang needs to get his head out of his ass or sit it on the bench.

Those are my pre-game thoughts. I'm confident but nervous. Should be a great game.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
He had a couple of nice passes on the power play earlier in the series.

Backstrom is arguably the Caps best two-way player. He assisted on two GWG’s and he’s extremely slick on the PP. Backstrom is a Cap I have a ton of respect for.

It’ll be a real shame if Backstrom is out tonight:sarcasm: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Backstrom is arguably the Caps best two-way player. He assisted on two GWG’s and he’s extremely slick on the PP. Backstrom is a Cap I have a ton of respect for.

While that's a positive for us, we have to remind ourselves that Malkin was out against Caps this year and we won. Crosby was out for Game 4 last year and we won.

Motivated teams have a way of making things work. We've actually seen that from Washington this year in a way we haven't in years past. They are doing to us what we did to them in 16 and 17.

That said, Backstrom out is still a huge loss any way you slice. It's up to our guys to take advantage.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Pens. But I've also watched every game Vegas has played. They're a fun team to watch, and a lot less frustrating than the Pens lol

Yeah I have watched at least 50 VGK games, I have never seen more than 30 games of any other team before, which was weird. But I think it was more familiarity that kept me tuning in - Neal, Perron, Engelland, Fleury...I miss those guys to varying degrees for their time as a Pittsburgh Penguin.

But I will not post in their forum, just feels weird to post back and forth in other threads, I also can't suddenly do that after being a Pens fan for 30+ years.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

For years he was the straw that stirred that drink, Caps fans always under sold them until Ovy struggled and they suddenly started to talk about how Backstrom was underrated which they themselves did. But they would constantly say Ovechkin didn't need him the same way Oilers fans say McDavid doesn't need a top 6 C to prop him up.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I would add that if Simon is playing anywhere other than the fourth line, it’s a disaster...he’s done less than nothing and has actively hurt the team ...

Sully needs to put Horny or even Rust back on line 1....
I'd argue that if he's in the lineup, he should be with Crosby. The only times he has shown glimpses of being a useful player have been with Crosby. If you're going to demote him, I'd say to just scratch him.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
I think the point you have to realize is the best team in history never 3 peated.

Also ironically, one of their D lost it for them on a miscue.

An argument can be made for the 78 Canadiens, 82 Islanders and the 93 Penguins. 86 Oilers are up there and at least Letang didn't score into his own net like Steve Smith though that wouldn't surprise me with Tanger.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Id like Horny back on L1 for sure. And Simon nowhere above L4...so Rust w Geno maybe? Or Phatty? He looked momentarily functional last game....?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Starting to get nervous about this game. I just hope we start well and get an early goal, settle the nerves.

I was more nervous at the start of the series than I am now. I think it has to do with expectations. At the beginning of the series, I really expected our depth to be the advantage. But as the series has gone along, our depth has been invisible and I'm not confident they'll show up anytime soon. So I almost expect the games now to come down to whichever team gets more from their goalie and which makes more mistakes.

Hopefully our depth guys prove me wrong tonight (and on Wednesday), but I've seen almost zero evidence thus far to suggest they're on the brink of breaking out offensively.

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
So. After we beat the Caps, our PP is gonna have to show up big time vs Tampa to win that series. Murray needs to be vintage Murray aswell vs Tampa to win.

The way Tampa disposed, more like destroyed the Bruins yesterday, I can't Pens or Caps winning a series against that team. They're running like a slick, well-oiled machine right now while Pens look like a 71 Chevy with 400 000 miles on the odometer in comparison.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The way Tampa disposed, more like destroyed the Bruins yesterday, I can't Pens or Caps winning a series against that team. They're running like a slick, well-oiled machine right now while Pens look like a 71 Chevy with 400 000 miles on the odometer in comparison.

I would say the Pens are a 2015 Ferrari that went on a cross-country drive, but one that is due for an oil change, some basic work, a little bit of rest, and some basic tune ups. ;)

When we get on the road next year, we are still going to be a beast.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I would say the Pens are a 2015 Ferrari that went on a cross-country drive, but one that is due for an oil change, some basic work, a little bit of rest, and some basic tune ups. ;)

When we get on the road next year, we are still going to be a beast.

I think you replace Maatta with a legitimate top four D and get one more wing here and we could easily be favorites.

Brassard with a preseason and year with this team will likely be a monster.

Reactions: ColePens

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I think you replace Maatta with a legitimate top four D and get one more wing here and we could easily be favorites.

Brassard with a preseason and year with this team will likely be a monster.

Maatta is underwhelming at times, but he's certainly a top 4 D all day. He is pretty reliable, cost-controlled, and that cost is pretty pedestrian.

As far as the wing, I'll say the same thing I said to those who were clamoring for Sprong to be in the lineup this series: how many scorers do we need???? If Brassard gets comfortable next year and we still need to add another forward, something has gone horribly wrong.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Maatta is underwhelming at times, but he's certainly a top 4 D all day. He is pretty reliable, cost-controlled, and that cost is pretty pedestrian.

As far as the wing, I'll say the same thing I said to those who were clamoring for Sprong to be in the lineup this series: how many scorers do we need???? If Brassard gets comfortable next year and we still need to add another forward, something has gone horribly wrong.

I don’t think another scorer is what we need. We need another Hagelin type to replace Sheary.

I’ve defended Maatta for the last two playoffs. He has been straight up bad this year.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don’t think another scorer is what we need. We need another Hagelin type to replace Sheary.

I’ve defended Maatta for the last two playoffs. He has been straight up bad this year.

I don't know if it's a case of trying to do too much, or if it will be revealed he's got a wrist/hand injury, but it's weird how much Maatta's giving away the puck this playoffs with soft passes or weak clears around the boards.

In the past, the only thing you really had to worry about him was him getting burned in a footrace because he skates like Hal Gill with a broken leg. But this year, he's turning into a bit of a turnover machine with his passing.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
I don't know if it's a case of trying to do too much, or if it will be revealed he's got a wrist/hand injury, but it's weird how much Maatta's giving away the puck this playoffs with soft passes or weak clears around the boards.

In the past, the only thing you really had to worry about him was him getting burned in a footrace because he skates like Hal Gill with a broken leg. But this year, he's turning into a bit of a turnover machine with his passing.

I don't think Maatta is a bad defenseman. I just think he is a bad defenseman for this system.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't think Maatta is a bad defenseman. I just think he is a bad defenseman for this system.

I think this is the main issue.

I also, think if we get someone to pair with Schultz ala Cole or Dumo it helps out a ton.

It sucks because of his age, but honestly Olli isn’t going to be anything but a fringe # 4 here.

Last year’s playoffs was encouraging, but he’s getting taken advantage exactly how he always has this year. At some point, it’s time to cut bait and get value for him.

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
I think this is the main issue.

I also, think if we get someone to pair with Schultz ala Cole or Dumo it helps out a ton.

It sucks because of his age, but honestly Olli isn’t going to be anything but a fringe # 4 here.

Last year’s playoffs was encouraging, but he’s getting taken advantage exactly how he always has this year. At some point, it’s time to cut bait and get value for him.
Someone like Thomas Hickey ;)

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
Honestly, if Minnie wants to move Brodin, I’d do a swap.

Maatta brings more offensive, Brodin brings a little size.
That would be fair. He is 5 years younger than Hickey. They both play on the PK. Brodin does get more PP time. Both put up a decent amount of points. The thing is Hickey is a UFA. And will probably cost less. So you could always fill another hole with Maatta.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad