Prospect Info: Round 4, Pick 107: Maksim Sushko, RW, Owen Sound (OHL)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bardreau probably would have got a shot last year, Ron was saying great things about him, then he got hurt.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
I agree with your point, they pigeon hole guys too early. I'd love to see a feisty guy like Bardreau get a chance in the NHL over a scrub like Weise. Sushko has speed and size so he could end up surpassing expectations if his skill level continues to develop. One would hope they try to get the most out of each kid. Not sure they succeed.
i agree also i think it is why you see so many ex flyers winning the cup with other teams and having better careers because of better useage and development.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
When you have Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim, Myers and Friedman, why would you let Morin handle the puck?

You see some many ex-Flyers win the Cup because a couple are really talented and were shipped out for peanuts (Sharp, Williams) and the rest were lucky. Who else has played better since they left?

Hextall made a bunch of trades, exactly who has come back to haunt him?

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If they just pigeon holed every guy, Leier would have never got a second of PP time in the AHL. When it comes to Vecchione and Vorobyev getting PP time ahead of NAK, that just boils down to the Phantoms coach preferring Vecchione and Vorobyev in that role this season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Given that MV was a top NCAA scorer, and Vorobyev is probably the best in the Flyer organization when it comes to passing from behind the net, it's not unreasonable to play those two ahead of NAK.

Reactions: Morinisbear

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Trust me we are not the only organization that pigeon holes prospects, most do . And you have a heck of a time getting out of it most don't .

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Most don't get out of it for the same reason they were pigeon holed in the first place, lack of elite scoring skills.
Look at Raffl, he's had his shot on top scoring lines, PEB got a shot on the third line, etc.

If you work on your shot, you'll get your chance, I expect Laughton to get a good shot at 3 LW, and if he scores there, someday a shot at the top 6. Because he can skate and shoot, given the right center I think he could blossom. And that's the key for most forwards, work hard, do the dirty work, and take advantage of opportunities - start sinking shots you've created by hard work and the HC will eventually decide to put you on a line where you get more scoring opportunities.

Playmaking centers are a little different, I think ice vision/playmaking is basically an innate talent that reveals itself early in a player's career, Giroux has it, Couts has it, Patrick has it, Frost has it, Vorobyev has it, Laughton doesn't have it, Schenn didn't have it. Experience can make you better and help you cut down on mistakes, but if you don't got it, nothing really helps.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Bardreau and MV will get serious shots at winning jobs in TC, along with NAK.
If Laughton and Simmonds are forwards on the 3rd line, then Bardreau, MV, Raffl, NAK would compete for the 4th line.

Vorobyev is more of a long shot to start the season, but I expect him up at some point.
Knight is a possibility for a 13th forward.

Which is why Hextall will probably only pick up 1 or 2 forwards this summer.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He has played in the first two games on the 2019 preseason.

Laberge and Strome haven't played at all.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He got dummied in OT, but he was pretty solid in his two games considering he's a 1st year pro.

He's in that large bucket of guys that should be able to fill out a 4th line role if they so choose to fill those spots internally (hint: they should).

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sushko isn't NHL ready by a large margin, just watching him he's well behind Twarynski, for example.

There's a reason they marinate guys like these two for a couple AHL seasons, they lack the raw skills to match up against better NHL players so they have to develop technique and experience to compensate.

The ones that keep improving eventually make it, the ones that flatline after a couple AHL seasons are always on the bubble.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The key is "loaned," he can be brought back if the AHL ever starts up, or they can leave him there to get a full KHL season.
Since he's not going to be on the "Black Aces," good way to ensure he gets a full season in.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He had a very strong year. It’s good to he gets to play while we wait for the AHL to resume.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Wonder why Rubtsov didn't want to go to the KHL? Or no demand for his services?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->