Round 2, Vote 1 (HOH Top Defensemen)

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Before we begin, just a recap on how Round 2 will operate:

Round 2
  • The top 10 ranked players from the aggregate list will be posted in a thread
  • Players will be listed in alphabetical order to avoid creating bias
  • Voters will rank their top 10 of the available defensemen
  • Final results will be posted and the top 5 vote getters will be added to the final list in order.
  • The process will be repeated for the next 5 places with remaining players until a list of 60 players is obtained

These might be tweaked to allow longer or shorter debating periods depending on how the process moves along.

Additionally, there are a couple guidelines we'd ask that everyone agree to abide by:
  • Please try to stay on-topic in the thread
  • Please remember that this is a debate on opinions and there is no right or wrong. Please try to avoid words like "stupid" "dumb" "wrong" "sophistry" etc. when debating.
  • Please treat other debaters with respect
  • Please don't be a wallflower. All eligible voters are VERY HIGHLY encouraged to be active participants in the debate.
  • Please maintain an open mind. The purpose of the debate is to convince others that your views are more valid. If nobody is willing to accept their opinions as flexible there really is no point in debating.

Eliglible Voters (22):
BiLLY_ShOE1721, Canadiens1958, chaosrevolver, DaveG, Dennis Bonvie, Der Kaiser, Dreakmur, Epsilon, Hardyvan123, Hawkey Town 18, Hockey Outsider, intylerwetrust, JaysCyYoung, McNuts, MXD, overpass, pappyline, reckoning, seventieslord, TheDevilMademe, tony D, VanIslander

All posters are encouraged to participate in the debates and discussions, but only those listed above will be eligible for the final votes. Anyone else who wishes to participate will have until 11/13 (prior to the start of Round 2, Vote 2) to get their list in. Once Vote 2 begins, no additional lists will be accepted.

On that note, we hope everyone is ready to wrack their brains and debate against some of the best hockey minds on the 'net! Have fun!

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Vote 1 will begin now and debates will run through Monday 11/14. Any extension to this time frame will be announced prior to the deadline. Votes must be submitted no later than 5PM EST on Monday 11/14, and voting will run until this time or until all voters have sent their vote in, whichever comes first. THESE DEADLINES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE SO PLEASE READ THROUGH THE ENTIRE THREAD.

Please PM votes to me, beginning on Saturday 11/12. I will be sending out confirmations when I receive ballots from the voters. Any voter who does not get a confirmation within 24 hours of submitting a ballot should assume I never received it and should either resubmit it or contact me to arrange a different method to submit the ballots.

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU WILL VOTE FOR YOUR TOP 10 OUT OF THE POOL OF ELIGIBLE PLAYERS.

Vote 1 will be for places 1 through 5 on the Top 60 list.

Here are the candidates, listed alphabetically:

Raymond Bourque
Chris Chelios
Viacheslav Fetisov
Doug Harvey
Leonard "Red" Kelly
Nicklas Lidstrom
Bobby Orr
Dennis Potvin
Larry Robinson
Eddie Shore

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Pretty much the 10 names I expected. This is one of the rounds I'm looking forward to the least simply because a lot of the arguments have been hashed out a million times in other threads. Here are some thoughts/comments/questions, in no particular order:

1. Anyone looking to make a case for Bourque ahead of Harvey? I don't have it that way at the moment but am certainly prepared to listen to arguments on that one.

2. What's the best way to handle Red Kelly's play at forward? Personally I want to give him credit for it but don't know if I can give him 100% full credit. My "gut" feeling right now is to have him below Denis Potvin, whereas if this was simply an aggregate "players" list I'd probably have him just above.

3. Speaking of Potvin, I'd be down to hear a good argument in favor of putting him above Eddie Shore. Not saying I'll vote that way or not, but it's another one where I could be swayed by someone bringing the goods in this thread.

4. My initial reaction was that Chelios would be 10th on my list, but some semi-related discussions in other threads recently have me thinking about upgrading him. Specifically, TDMM gave a pretty good synopsis (to me) of relative strong and weak eras for defensemen, and Chelios was a dominant player during the strongest one ever. I can see him landing anywhere from 7th to 10th at the moment.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
1. Anyone looking to make a case for Bourque ahead of Harvey? I don't have it that way at the moment but am certainly prepared to listen to arguments on that one.

Absolutely. Bourque is much better offensively, just as good defensively, was just as good in the play-offs, he did it with the toughest competition ever, and did it over a much longer peak and career.

Hopefully, I'll have the time to do an in depth comparison. I was really hoping to run into some top-end defensemen in last year's ATD, but I never did - the best was Coffey if I remember right.

3. Speaking of Potvin, I'd be down to hear a good argument in favor of putting him above Eddie Shore. Not saying I'll vote that way or not, but it's another one where I could be swayed by someone bringing the goods in this thread.

I don't see ny good argument for Potvin being ahead of Shore.

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region

Absolutely.

Bourque clearly did not experience the team success that Harvey accomplished during the most dominant period in Montreal Canadiens history (the vaunted record-setting five consecutive Stanley Cup championships teams from 1956-60) but his career all-star voting record is stunning: one of my favourite hockey statistics is the fact that Bourque was a First Team All-Star selection in his rookie season at age 19 and then a First All-Star Team selection twenty one years later at age 40. That sort of longevity and consistency in terms of peak performance is simply unmatched in NHL history from a defender. I'm open to the interpretation that Harvey had the higher peak performance, and with seven Norris Trophy wins in eight seasons it is difficult to argue otherwise, however I think that the body of Bourque's work is individually superior to that of Harvey's with ninteen total All-Star Team selections (13 First and 6 Seconds compared to 10 Firsts and 1 Second) in addition to being the highest-scoring blueliner in league history. The fact that Ray was narrowly deprived of being an MVP selection on two occasions (1987 and the controversial 1990 vote where he lost to Messier) merely reinforces the fact that, to me at least, only Orr was Bourque's equal.

2. What's the best way to handle Red Kelly's play at forward? Personally I want to give him credit for it but don't know if I can give him 100% full credit. My "gut" feeling right now is to have him below Denis Potvin, whereas if this was simply an aggregate "players" list I'd probably have him just above.

From my perspective, this project should be primarily concerned to adjudicating the historical performance of defencemen and ranking them as defencemen first and foremost. If this were an all-time draft I would be open to giving credit to such multi-positional players as Kelly, Cyclone Taylor, Didier Pitre, etc. but given the fact that we are compiling a list and ranking defencemen on the merits of their play on the blue-line I think that we should stick to the period that they spent defending and not giving "double credit" so to speak for accomplishments accrued elsewhere. I agree with you on your ranking of Kelly in relation to Potvin though: if we include his post-Detroit career with Toronto as a centre I think he accrues the necessary accolades required to move ahead. Based purely on his performance as a defenceman though I think that Potvin is superior to Kelly.

That would certainly be interesting, but like Dreakmur stated above, I can't see a very compelling argument being put forward for that one. It would take an incredible amount of convincing to move Potvin, as much as he's clearly a top ten all-time defenceman, ahead of Shore.

4. My initial reaction was that Chelios would be 10th on my list, but some semi-related discussions in other threads recently have me thinking about upgrading him. Specifically, TDMM gave a pretty good synopsis (to me) of relative strong and weak eras for defensemen, and Chelios was a dominant player during the strongest one ever. I can see him landing anywhere from 7th to 10th at the moment.

My top 80 list had Chelios at ninth for whatever it's worth. He's almost certainly the greatest American professional of all-time (Lafontaine, Brimsek, and Modano don't touch him IMO), and that is even more reinforced by the fact that he picked up three Norris Trophies during what is most likely the most dominant period for elite defencemen in NHL history. The fact that he finished so strongly in yearly all-star and Norris voting is a significant point in his favour, in addition to his longevity. His last elite season was at age forty with Detroit in 2001-02 when he was a runner-up to teammate and fellow top ten all-time defenceman Nicklas Lidstrom in the Norris voting, but he managed to remain a competent top six regular several seasons after that. He also boasts a strong international resume (1998 Nagano disappointment aside) with extremely strong performances in the 1991 Canada Cup, 1996 World Cup, and 2002 Olympics.

If one is to judge a player's career on the basis of the competing (or complementary depending on how one looks at it) criteria of peak and longevity Chelios scores extremely favourably on both accounts. This is a man who was an extremely physical, nasty specimen at a demanding position for over a quarter of a century against the most highly-conditioned competition in his profession. Think about that type of consistency and the remarkable physical demands that it would require.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I plan on doing a detailed look at the pros and cons of Harvey, Bourque, Shore, and Lidstrom versus each other, as my personal opinion is that a reasonable argument could be made for them to be listed as 2-5 in any order.

Epsilon said:

It's tough. My "gut feeling" is that Kelly and Potvin were basically equals as defensemen, and Kelly's additional time at forward later in his career gave him "bonus points" that had me rank him one spot ahead on my submitted list.

I can see Kelly/Potvin/Fetisov ranked in any order between 6-8, though I'm sure many don't rank Fetisov as highly as I do.

I think an argument could be made for Chelios over Robinson (or Fetisov depending on how you view non-NHL hockey), but I'd have a hard time ranking him over Potvin or Kelly.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Why Doug Harvey should be ranked ahead of Eddie Shore

Offense. Their styles were very different (Shore was an aggressive rusher while Harvey was a somewhat more conservative playmaker & PP quarterback, though he was great on the transition). In terms of results they are quite close but Harvey is slightly ahead for the following reasons:

Compared to other defensemen. Based on Pnep’s research (source) we see that Harvey spent more seasons ranking among the league’s top five highest-scoring defensemen (12 seasons for Harvey vs 10 for Shore). Eliminating identical finishes (1-1-1-1-2-3-5) we’re left with 1-1-4 for Shore and 2-3-3-3-5 for Harvey. Perhaps a slight peak edge for Shore but overall Harvey does better.

Comparison to top scorers: Shore finished 10th, 10th, 13th and 20th in the NHL in scoring; Harvey finished 11th, 13th and 17th. Shore gets the edge here.

Compared to the rest of the league. During their best five years, Shore (1929-33) ranked 17th in the league in scoring, while Harvey (1954-58) ranked 11th. During their best ten years, Shore (1927-36) ranked 16th, while Harvey (1952-61) ranked 13th. Harvey gets the edge here.

Conclusion: it’s very close, but Harvey was a slightly better offensive player than Shore.

Defense: defensive ability is notoriously hard to analyze, especially given that few people here have seen either player play on a consistent basis.

It’s generally accepted that Harvey is one of the best shutdown defensemen in hockey history (perhaps even the best). He’s described as a player who “defended tenaciously, blocked shots and intimidated the opposition” (source) He had the “uncanny talent of either speeding up a game or putting the brakes on it” (source). He was “was so superb in one on one defensive battles that he would routinely steal the puck off the attacker as though he were picking cherries. He would rarely be beaten, and his teammates knew it” (source). I'm pretty sure "Ultimate Hockey" picked Doug Harvey as the best defensive player of the 1950s but can somebody with a copy of the book please confirm?

Eddie Shore was not even regarded as the best defensive player of his era. Although he was known as a good offensive player, even during his absolute peak (1933), contemporaries thought that there were several other defensemen in the league who were superior defensively (ie King Clancy, Lionel Hitchman, Ching Johnson). Source: Globe & Mail, April 20, 1933. It's important to note that this quote came during Shore's best years, so it's not like I've cherry-picked a quote from before or after his prime.

Conclusion: Harvey is the better defensive player.

Playoffs: I think it’s generally accepted that Harvey was the superior playoff performer but here’s a chart showing just how important Harvey was the to the Habs dynasty (source). Harvey was, by a large margin, the player who was most likely to raise his level of offense during the playoffs, even more so than Richard, Beliveau, Geoffrion, etc.

During the span of his playoff career (1927-1940) Shore was 23rd in scoring (4th in games played). During the span of his playoff career (1949-62, excluding 1968), Harvey was 7th in playoff scoring (1st in games played).

Conclusion: Harvey was the better playoff performer.

Awards:

Hart trophy. I know what you’re all thinking “Shore won four Hart trophies, Harvey has none, so Shore was obviously better”. Not so fast! Shore played in an era when, for whatever reason, defensemen earned far more Hart trophy votes.

The following defensemen were Hart finalists during Shore’s career: Clancy, Clapper, Colville, Conacher, Coulter, Dutton, Gardiner, Goodfellow, Hitchman, Johnson, Seibert, Shore.

The following defensemen were Hart finalists during Harvey’s career: Harvey, Howell, Kelly, Orr.

It’s obvious that Hart trophy voters had exponentially lower standards for voting for defensemen during Shore’s era, both in terms of quantity & quality of defensemen they'd vote for. In the past sixty years, only one defenseman (Orr, obviously) has more than Harvey’s five seasons as a Hart trophy finalist. Harvey did the best he can do given the bias of voters over the past six decades. The argument that Shore was better because he did better in Hart voting is false, misleading, and wrong!

All-star selections: Shore was selected to seven first all-star teams and one second all-star team. Harvey was selected to ten first all-star teams and one second all-star team. However Shore had a few strong years before 1931 (the year the NHL first created all-star teams) so the two players are probably even in this category.

Overall. In conclusion, Harvey was clearly the better defensive player, he was better in the playoffs, and he was slightly better offensively. The main argument for Shore (Hart trophies) isn’t fair based on the voter bias in his era. Harvey was the better hockey player and should be ranked higher on our list.

Would be interested in seeing if someone else could discuss some Bourque and Lidstrom, among others, using this framework.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
I've come to the point where I believe Harvey/Bourque/Lidstrom are all decisively ahead of Shore and am looking forward to hearing reasons to the contrary.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I plan on doing a detailed look at the pros and cons of Harvey, Bourque, Shore, and Lidstrom versus each other, as my personal opinion is that a reasonable argument could be made for them to be listed as 2-5 in any order.

I have already researched, and made bios for, Harvey, Bourque, and Lidstrom. I just got Eddie Shore's book, so I will be making a good bio on him here.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
It might be helpful to list the pros, cons, and historical significance of the guys I think are in the 2-5 tier of defensemen.

Raymond Bourque

Pros:
  • The best longevity as an elite player of the group
  • The best Hart record, by far, of any post-Orr defenseman
  • Adjusted to era, his Hart consideration may be as impressive as Shore's
  • The undisputed best player on his team for almost two decades
  • A small, but clear offensive edge over Lidstrom and Harvey
  • Faced the toughest overall competition in his prime, so his 5 Norris trophies underrate him, possibly by a lot - Harvey had a few years of Kelly, but Bourque had prime Chelios, Coffey, and Leetch all stealing multiple Norrises and (barely) beat Stevens' best regular season.

Cons:
  • Only 1 of the 4 dmen to never win a Cup as the star of his team or as a top 2 player on his team. (Counter-argument: but for the Oilers....)
  • +528 in the regular season but only +5 in the playoffs
  • His playoff offense is barely better than Lidstrom's
  • Excellent defensively, but probably a bit worse than Harvey or Lidstrom

Historical Significance:
  • Unlike the other three, I don't thinkBourque changed the way we thought about defensemen
  • Arguably the best longevity as an elite player of any player all-time (along with Gordie Howe)

Doug Harvey

Pros:
  • The perfect defenseman in his prime - he really had no weaknesses
  • Multiple longtime posters here have called him the best defensive defenseman ever
  • Owned the Norris trophy like nobody other than Orr - won it all 7 healthy years out of 8
  • Excellent playoff performer - his offensive production rose in the playoffs more than any of his teammates
  • Often considered the straw that stirred the drink of the best team of all-time
  • Likely controlled the pace of the game more than any defenseman other than Orr
  • Lost 1 Norris and 2 additional "retro Norrises" to Red Kelly

Cons
  • Very good offensively, but didn't stand out from his peers like the other 3 (his offense was worse than Kelly's and basically equal to Gadsby's)
  • Least longevity as an elite player of any of these 4 - probably due to his developing alcohol problem

Historical Significance
  • Quite simply, the prototype for all modern defensemen. Often called "the first modern defenseman."

Nicklas Lidstrom

Pros:
  • The only 1 of the 4 dmen to be both the clearcut best offensive defenseman and best defensive defenseman in the league for a long time
  • Most consider him slightly better defensively than Bourque because he thinks defense-first
  • Likely lost some Norris and All Star recognition in the early part of his career because of his style of play and/or having to adjust to North America
  • His playoff offense is comparable to Bourque's and his playoff plus/minus is a lot better
  • Clearcut #1 defenseman on 3 Cup winners and #1b on a 4th (1997)
  • A top 2 player in the playoffs on at least 2 Cup winners (2002 and 2008) and possibly a 3rd (1998).
  • Usually considered the best player (any position) of his decade
Cons:
  • Competition for some of his 7 Norris trophies was relatively weak
  • Never proved he could "carry a team," because he never had to
  • Clearly the least physically intimidating of the 4 dmen.
  • Clearly the least visually impressive of the 4 dmen

Historical Significance:
  • Proved a defenseman could be an elite shut down player without playing a physical game (popularized the "European style")
  • The prototype of the modern nonphysical shutdown defenseman

Eddie Shore

Pros:
  • Voting suggests he would have received 9 Norris Trophies if it were around at the time - the most of any defenseman ever
  • Adjusted to era, his longevity as an elite player may be close to Bourque's
  • Carried his team - over a 6 season stretch, he won 4 Hart Trophies. He missed significant games in the other 2 seasons and his team failed to make the playoffs in either
  • Clearly the best offensive defenseman the world had ever seen before World War 2
  • Clearly the most physically intimidating of the 4 dmen
Cons:
  • Very good defensively, but clearly the worst defensive player of the 4 dmen
  • Clearly the least disciplined of the 4 dmen
  • Clearly a worse playoff performer than Harvey or Lidstrom and almost certainly worse than Bourque too
Historical Significance:
  • Played a key role in the development of a defenseman's role in contributing to the offensive attack at even strength and on the powerplay
  • Personifies "old time hockey."

Last edited:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Why Ray Bourque should be ranked ahead of Nicklas Lidstrom

(Note that this is an update-of-an-update-of-an-update, so please let me know if you see any errors here, I'll be glad to correct as necessary).

Hart trophy voting
Player|First|Second|Third|Fourth|Fifth|Total
Bourque |0|2|0|1|2|5
Lidstrom|0|0|0|1|0|1

Bourque was a Hart finalist five times, and was runner-up to Gretzky ('87) and Messier ('90). That's right, Bourque almost certainly would have won the Hart in 1987 if not for Gretzky's 183 point season -- he was far ahead of the players in 3rd and 4th. Bourque has a massive 5-1 lead in this category.

I've noticed that Lidstrom supporters often say that it's hard for a defenseman to get nominated for the Hart playing on a good team, but that's not true. When Bourque was runner-up in 1990, the Bruins won the President's Trophy. When Pronger won the Hart in 2000, the Blues won the President's Trophy.

Norris trophy voting
Player|First|Second|Third|Fourth|Fifth|Total
Bourque |5|6|4|4|0|19
Lidstrom|7|3|1|1|0|12

Despite winning one fewer Norris, Bourque has has a massive 19-12 edge in seasons as Norris finalist. Bourque has a stunning fifteen seasons where he finished in the top three in Norris voting -- no other defenseman in history has more than eleven. Lidstrom won 2 additional Norris trophies, and that's a point in his favour, but I would gladly trade that for Bourque's additional seven years of being a Norris-calibre defensemen.

To put it another way: Bourque basically matches Lidstrom's Norris trophy voting record and adds on Scott Stevens' or Borje Salming's.

All-star selections
Player|1st team|2nd team|Total
Bourque |13|6|19
Lidstrom|10|2|12

Again, Bourque has a huge edge here. Aside from Gordie Howe, Bourque was the most consistently elite player in NHL history. He was a 1st-team all-star as a rookie (1980), in the year of his retirement (proving he could adapt to the modern NHL at age 41, in 2001), and seventeen times in between.

I think this indicates, pretty clearly, that Bourque had more individual success than Lidstrom. (So far, anyway). Obviously we should look at the context (did one player face tough competition? were the voters biased against one of them?) but this is a pretty decent case that Bourque was the more individually accomplished.

Data sources: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=545921, http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=550541

Offense, adjusted to peer groups

Somebody once said "It's no secret that the years Ray was in his prime offense was way higher than today"... I agree with this position and, frankly, it's impossible to deny it. The key point is, even after accounting for the fact that Bourque played in a higher scoring era, he's still ahead of Lidstrom, statistically.

A good way of looking at this is: how did they compare to their peer groups? I'm comparing Lidstrom (during his first nineteen full seasons, from 1992-2011) and Bourque (during his first seventeen seasons, 1980-98). Yes, scoring was higher during Bourque's era, but that doesn't matter because both players are compared against their peer groups here.

Player|Rank in games|Rank in goals|Rank in assists|Rank in points|Rank in Pts per GP
Bourque |4th|35th|3rd|6th|36th
Lidstrom|1st|72nd|2nd|8th|72nd

- Link to Bourque data
- Link to Lidstrom data

Again, the fact that Bourque played in a higher-scoring era is irrelevant since both players are compared directly to their peers. Lidstrom ranked 8th in points over the span of his career, which is extremely impressive (he's behind Jagr, Sakic, Recchi, Selanne, Sundin, Modano and Shanahan).

However, Bourque was even more dominant offensively - he ranked 6th in scoring, behind only Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, Coffey and Francis. Even before we take into account the fact that Bourque competed against the two freaks of nature (#99 and #66), he ranks higher than Lidstrom.

Defense

I give the edge to Lidstrom, but it's by a smaller margin than most people think. Lidstrom was better at even-strength as he played more conservatively than Bourque, but I think Bourque was superior on the penalty kill because he was stronger & more aggressive than Lidstrom and was thus better able to clear opponents away from the crease on the PK. I've watched hundreds of games from both and I think it would be tough to make an argument that either player is significantly better than the other here.

There aren't too many coach or player surveys from Bourque's era, but it's worth mentioning that he was named the best defensive defenseman in the league in 1994 (with more votes than Chelios and Stevens combined!) - link. He was also named second best to Chelios in 1993 - link.

I don't think that plus/minus is a good indicator of defensive play for many reasons but it's worth mentioning that Bourque has a better plus/minus despite spending most of his career on a weaker team.

Discipline

The conventional argument is that Bourque's physical play gives him an edge over Lidstrom. While I agree that it's an advantage, Bourque's marginally more reckless style also means that he spends more time in the penalty box.

Over the span of their careers, Lidstrom had 486 PIM in 1,494 games (average per 82 games = 27 PIM per year). This excludes 2012. Bourque had 1,141 PIM in 1,612 games (average per 82 games = 58 PIM). That works out to an extra 15 minor penalties per year... assuming an 80% PK rate, Bourque's penalties cost his team an extra 3 goals per year. That's a small advantage for Lidstrom, but it's worth considering.

Playoffs

I want to emphasize that Bourque was a dominant playoff performer. Bourque lost twice in the Stanley Cup finals to the dynasty Edmonton Oilers -- and although I don't like to go into hypotheticals too much, I personally don't think that any team from the past decade, including Lidstrom's Wings, could have defeated the dynasty Oilers. Bourque had "bad timing" since he peaked when the NHL's last true dynasty peaked.

Bourque had multiple Smythe-calibre performances (as did Lidstrom, who indeed won the trophy once). In 1988 Bourque must have played 35 min per game, finished 7th overall and 1st among defensemen in playoff scoring, and at +16 he was the only player on his team in the dougle digits. Though on the losing team, as an individual effort, this was at least as good as Lidstrom's performance in 2002.

In 1991, Bourque again played around 35 min per game, and finished 6th overall and 1st among defensemen in PO scoring. His worst PO run in Boston, when he went to the SC finals, was in 1990, when he was still 1st in PO scoring among defensemen (12th overall) and had a higher plus/minus rating than any player not on the Oilers. Bourque was also great in 1983 (Bruins lost in conference finals to the dynasty Islanders) despite Bourque's 23 pts in 17 games.

Bourque really only played on a stacked team twice in his career and in those two years, he won 1 Cup and went to the conference finals the other time. I don't deny that Lidstrom has had more team playoff success, but based on the strength of their individual playoff performances, I see them as nearly equal.

Bourque scored 0.84 points per game in the playoffs and Lidstrom scored 0.71 points per game - a 19% advantage for Bourque. I estimate that around 12% of this advantage is due to era, so Bourque "actually" outscored Lidstrom by about 7% per game in the playoffs. Lidstrom is a bit better defensively than Bourque, but it's by a small amount. Overall, I think their playoff performance are about even (unless you're simply counting the number of Stanley Cups won).

Durability

Through 19 seasons, Lidstrom played in 1,494 of a possible 1,526 games (97.9% availability). Through his first 19 seasons, Bourque played in 1,372 of a possible 1,502 games (91.3% availability). Assuming an 82-game schedule, this means that Lidstrom is available to play in an extra 5 games per year.

Overall

Bourque has the edge in Hart voting, Norris voting, all-star voting, offense (relative to peer groups), and physical play. Defense and playoff performances are too close to call. Lidstrom has the Smythe and the edge in durability and discipline.

Overall, Bourque has a slightly higher peak, and was better for longer. Lidstrom might pass Bourque before he retires, but I'm comfortable saying that he hasn't done so yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Raymond Bourque
Cons:
  • Only 1 of the 4 dmen to never win a Cup as the star of his team or as a top 2 player on his team. (Counter-argument: but for the Oilers....)

• There's a difference between being "not top-2" and a passanger. Those 2001 Avs were the best team I have ever seen, so he had some stiff competition. Bourque was at worst Colorado's 4th best player, and he was their best defenseman.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
HO, you are preaching to the choir here. Harvey over Shore for sure. Bourque over Lidstrom, no hesitation.

Other than that..... hmmmmmm.....

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
I'll add some of the stuff that I can dig up. A summary of Lidström's career in Sweden, for what it's worth.

Nicklas Lidström's impact in the SEL was at first not very noticed as he left his home town team Skogsbo SK as a 16-year old and joined Västerås IK. VIK were new in the SEL for the 1988 season and were not expected to have any real impact on the league, more likely to be considered relegation candidates than playoff performers. It was a hockey fever in Västerås though as they saw their local team in the top division for the first time in 15 years. People who followed Västerås intensely at the time speak of Nicklas as a player that wasn't instantly noticable, his first 1988-89 seasons passed by rather quietly as he played 20 games and recorded 2 points. Once they got the hang of what to look for however, people realized that this was a very talented hockey defenseman, and expectations were rising for the next season. These expectations were further raised as by the end of the 1988-89, he was drafted by the Red Wings organization in the 3rd round as #53.

In 1989-90 he became a regular in the VIK lineup showing that great reading of the game that we all know him for. His defensive ability was what stood out, despite him scoring 8 goals and 16 points in 40 games in just his second season. 1990-91 was when he really took off. The VIK team had a very good season and Lidström was considered for the national team. He ended up playing for Tre Kronor in the Deutschland Cup and impressed many. VIK finished the season in 4th place, getting knocked out by eventual champions Djurgården in the semifinal. Nicklas Lidström was elected a 1st-team allstar and was a given member of the Swedish World Championship squad.

After performing well in the World Championships, where Sweden won the gold medal, Lidström was chosen for the Canada Cup squad in 1991, where he was to be paired with Börje Salming himself. That 1990-91 season was the last we got to see of what was to become our greatest defenseman of all time, as he was lost to the NHL except for a quick cameo during the 1994-95 lockout.

Last edited by a moderator:

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
Hey HO, you'll probably remember but I will definitely challenge your offensive advantage for Bourque in the playoffs.

Bourque's PPG in the playoffs take a much larger percentage dip (from regular season) than Lidstrom's numbers do.

I've punched the numbers, taken directly from your posted stats, and the two ended up offensively very even in the playoffs, if we allow most of Bourque's years were higher scoring than Lidstrom's.

To state Bourque was better in the post-season than Lidstrom strikes me as a huge stretch. Especially if we accept Lidstrom has consistently been more D-focused than Bourque throughout the course of their careers.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
Lidstrom's playoff performances are often underrated. But the fact is he played a huge role on 4 Stanley Cup winners in a 30-team league.

With the possible exception of Harvey, Lidstrom is easily the greatest post-season performer of all-time at the defenseman position.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Lidstrom's playoff performances are often underrated. But the fact is he played a huge role on 4 Stanley Cup winners in a 30-team league.

With the possible exception of Harvey, Lidstrom is easily the greatest post-season performer of all-time at the defenseman position.

I would agree with that and add Potvin in the mix as well.

Potvin's involvement with the 4 Cup Islander run was incredible as was the start of his career and the team surrounding him in his 1st 5 years.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Overlooking

Overlooking the following performers on 4 SC winning teams.

Tim Horton on the 1962-64,1967 Leafs,physical presence, helping limit consensus top 25 HOH forwards Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Jean Beliveau in at least 2 series each while generating a greater PPG offense than Lidstrom, 32pts in 48 games vs Lidstrom 56 pts in 87 games.

Larry Robinson 1976-79, physical presence - legal hit on Dornhoefer in 1976, contributing to limiting teams led by Clarke, Trottier, Park, Esposito while generating 54 pts in 58 games as opposed to aforementioned Lidstrom numbers.

Denis Potvin 1980-83, physical presence, contributing to limiting teams led by Clarke, Gretzky while generating 85 pts in 78 games vastly superior to Lidstrom.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Clarification

It might be helpful to list the pros, cons, and historical significance of the guys I think are in the 2-5 tier of defensemen.

Raymond Bourque

Pros:
  • The best longevity as an elite player of the group
  • The best Hart record, by far, of any post-Orr defenseman
  • Adjusted to era, his Hart consideration may be as impressive as Shore's
  • The undisputed best player on his team for almost two decades
  • A small, but clear offensive edge over Lidstrom and Harvey
  • Faced the toughest overall competition in his prime, so his 5 Norris trophies underrate him, possibly by a lot - Harvey had a few years of Kelly, but Bourque had prime Chelios, Coffey, and Leetch all stealing multiple Norrises and (barely) beat Stevens' best regular season.

Cons:
  • +528 in the regular season but only +5 in the playoffs
  • His playoff offense is barely better than Lidstrom's
  • Excellent defensively, but probably a bit worse than Harvey or Lidstrom

Historical Significance:
  • Unlike the other three, I don't thinkBourque changed the way we thought about defensemen
  • Arguably the best longevity as an elite player of any player all-time (along with Gordie Howe)

Doug Harvey

Pros:
  • The perfect defenseman in his prime - he really had no weaknesses
  • Multiple longtime posters here have called him the best defensive defenseman ever
  • Owned the Norris trophy like nobody other than Orr - won it all 7 healthy years out of 8
  • Excellent playoff performer - his offensive production rose in the playoffs more than any of his teammates
  • Often considered the straw that stirred the drink of the best team of all-time
  • Likely controlled the pace of the game more than any defenseman other than Orr
  • Lost 1 Norris and 2 additional "retro Norrises" to Red Kelly

Cons
  • Very good offensively, but didn't stand out from his peers like the other 3 (his offense was worse than Kelly's and basically equal to Gadsby's)
  • Least longevity as an elite player of any of these 4 - probably due to his developing alcohol problem

Historical Significance
  • Quite simply, the prototype for all modern defensemen. Often called "the first modern defenseman."

Nicklas Lidstrom

Pros:
  • The only 1 of the 4 dmen to be both the clearcut best offensive defenseman and best defensive defenseman in the league for a long time
  • Most consider him slightly better defensively than Bourque because he thinks defense-first
  • Likely lost some Norris and All Star recognition in the early part of his career because of his style of play and/or having to adjust to North America
  • His playoff offense is comparable to Bourque's and his playoff plus/minus is a lot better
  • Clearcut #1 defenseman on 3 Cup winners and #1b on a 4th (1997)
  • A top 2 player in the playoffs on at least 2 Cup winners (2002 and 2008) and possibly a 3rd (1998).
  • Usually considered the best player (any position) of his decade
Cons:
  • Competition for some of his 7 Norris trophies was relatively weak
  • Never proved he could "carry a team," because he never had to
  • Clearly the least physically intimidating of the 4 dmen.
  • Clearly the least visually impressive of the 4 dmen

Historical Significance:
  • Proved a defenseman could be an elite shut down player without playing a physical game (popularized the "European style")
  • The prototype of the modern nonphysical shutdown defenseman

Eddie Shore

Pros:
  • Voting suggests he would have received 9 Norris Trophies if it were around at the time - the most of any defenseman ever
  • Adjusted to era, his longevity as an elite player may be close to Bourque's
  • Carried his team - over a 6 season stretch, he won 4 Hart Trophies. He missed significant games in the other 2 seasons and his team failed to make the playoffs in either
  • Clearly the best offensive defenseman the world had ever seen before World War 2
  • Clearly the most physically intimidating of the 4 dmen
Cons:
  • Very good defensively, but clearly the worst defensive player of the 4 dmen
  • Clearly the least disciplined of the 4 dmen
  • Clearly a worse playoff performer than Harvey or Lidstrom and almost certainly worse than Bourque too
Historical Significance:
  • Played a key role in the development of a defenseman's role in contributing to the offensive attack at even strength and on the powerplay
  • Personifies "old time hockey."

Excellent and concise, however I am somewhat puzzled by the use of the word "prototype" to describe Harvey and Lidstrom but not Bourque.

"Prototype" means that the skills or attributes may be taught and or replicated. Certainly true for Harvey whose influences touched all the styles and levels of hockey in NA and Europe after the midpoint of his NHL career. Will do a detailed listing shortly.

Ray Bourque qualifies since he was the first defenseman who refined the way a defenseman skates - note the lack of high risk moves on skates that led to knee / knee injuries that hindered the careers of the initial offensive defensemen - Orr, Park, Savard. Bourque, later Coffey,limited or avoided the dancing on skates elements in their game, the spin moves - first popularized by Harvey, perfected by Orr. Ray Bourque introduced the mainly linear offensive skating to the defence - Lidstrom is a perfect example of its application.

The non physical shutdown defenseman prototype. Factor out the European consideration and you have Bill Quackenbush - 1953 contributed to shutting down the powerful Red Wings, Red Kelly - 1952, 1954, 1955 impressive against the Canadiens, with J.C. Tremblay lurking in the background - 1965,1966 stepped-up against the Hawks then the Red Wings. Yet all had to be paired with physical dmen to shine. J.C. Tremblay with Ted Harris being the best example.

Today the various skills and attributes that Doug Harvey introduced are integral parts of defensive and offensive play for defensemen. The refinements to skating for defensemen that started with Ray Bourque are still around and going strong. What has Lidstrom introduced that is unique and taught throughout the hockey world? Simply Lidstrom's game feature various elements from his predecessors at the position.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
I think Shore's getting a little underrated here. I don't have time to make a detailed case now, but want to get it out here.

The biggest thing is the voting records show that everyone basically considered him to be the best defenceman in the world for a long time, and often the best player in the world. Breaking down his game in detail beyond that can be interesting and useful, but you have to reconcile that with the overall record. Was he the best defender? The best skater? The best passer? I don't know. But he was spectacular. (the Ken Reardon argument.)

Re Shore's defensive reputation, he came from an era when the best defensive defencemen hung out at the red line while the puck was in the offensive zone. If a sportswriter says someone else was better defensively than Shore, it might well have been because Shore was going up ice too much for his liking. Also, IIRC the few quotes that have been posted about Shore's defensive ability have been taken from earlier in his career, in the late 1920s.

Shore was like an earlier Bobby Orr, who drove the play all over the ice and changed the position.

Of course Harvey and Bourque have their arguments too, but Shore has as strong a case as anyone for #2, IMO.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Red Lne

I think Shore's getting a little underrated here. I don't have time to make a detailed case now, but want to get it out here.

The biggest thing is the voting records show that everyone basically considered him to be the best defenceman in the world for a long time, and often the best player in the world. Breaking down his game in detail beyond that can be interesting and useful, but you have to reconcile that with the overall record. Was he the best defender? The best skater? The best passer? I don't know. But he was spectacular. (the Ken Reardon argument.)

Re Shore's defensive reputation, he came from an era when the best defensive defencemen hung out at the red line while the puck was in the offensive zone. If a sportswriter says someone else was better defensively than Shore, it might well have been because Shore was going up ice too much for his liking. Also, IIRC the few quotes that have been posted about Shore's defensive ability have been taken from earlier in his career, in the late 1920s.

Shore was like an earlier Bobby Orr, who drove the play all over the ice and changed the position.

Of course Harvey and Bourque have their arguments too, but Shore has as strong a case as anyone for #2, IMO.

Eddie Shore played all his hockey before the Red Line was introduced.

True, the defensemen from the era used to hang back at mid ice, moving up to support the offense, back to play the rush. Also appreciate that until the spring of 1939 icing was legal at all times, easier to mitigate from mid ice than the blue line.

Within the context of Shore's era the passing demands on a defenseman were significantly different then they were in the post Red Line era. Likewise defending against the pass - Shore went from the pre forward pass era to the pre Red Line era. These factors make it difficult to compare defensemen from the pre and post Red Line eras given that there are no viable comparables with dmen who straddled the two eras.

Conversely we can look at Shore's impact and contribution to his team and to the game of hockey.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Great input so far, everyone. :)

I didn't have time to produce a list but I'm looking forward to reading what you all come up with and jumping in where I can.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Seventies - I don't think that what I posted was necessarily the consensus opinion, and even if it was, I think it's important that we document our reasoning so non-participants can review our discussions to understand our thought process. For that reason, I think someone should write a brief post to justify why Orr will be #1 on our list even though that would definitely be "preaching to the choir".

Hey HO, you'll probably remember but I will definitely challenge your offensive advantage for Bourque in the playoffs.

Bourque's PPG in the playoffs take a much larger percentage dip (from regular season) than Lidstrom's numbers do.

I've punched the numbers, taken directly from your posted stats, and the two ended up offensively very even in the playoffs, if we allow most of Bourque's years were higher scoring than Lidstrom's.

To state Bourque was better in the post-season than Lidstrom strikes me as a huge stretch. Especially if we accept Lidstrom has consistently been more D-focused than Bourque throughout the course of their careers.

I didn't say that Bourque was better in the post-season than Lidstrom - I think that would be an unsupportable position. However, I said that "their playoff performance are about even".

I realize that Bourque's offense drops by a larger amount than Lidstrom's, but because Bourque's offense was so much better, he can take a larger decrease and still end up as the superior scorer.

I said that "Bourque scored 0.84 points per game in the playoffs and Lidstrom scored 0.71 points per game - a 19% advantage for Bourque. I estimate that around 12% of this advantage is due to era, so Bourque "actually" outscored Lidstrom by about 7% per game in the playoffs."

Lidstrom is a bit better than Bourque defensively - perhaps 5% to 10% better IMO, which means that on a per-game basis, their value is about even, as Bourque's offensive advantage is more or less offset by Lidstrom's defensive advantage.

Lidstrom of course deserves credit for being such an important part of four Stanley Cup winning teams in a 26- to 30-team league. If you want to use that as the tiebreaker to give Lidstrom the edge (as they're otherwise even on a per-game basis), that's fine. I just hope that people don't take the simplistic "Cup counting" approach, note that Lidstrom won more Cups than Bourque, and conclude he's much better without any other argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00