Series Discussion: Round 2 (Caps vs Rangers) 2015 Playoffs

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
I lost optimism after the game 7 shellacking to the Pens, that one still stung the most for me because I thought they'd breeze by the Canes to the Cup Finals if they got by.

Anyone that posts here still has hope, but we expect the expected.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I've always been curious and envious. After all that's gone down between 1985 and today, how are people able to have hope? To actually expect something good to happen? How after going from the penultimate joy, to getting pantsed, atomic wedgied, and punted in the arse into the emotional sporting septic tank 9 times in twenty-eight years, are you still able to watch, and expect something different to happen?

That kind of positivity, enthusiasm, and faith, in the face of zero evidence suggesting there is any hope whatsoever is just flat out amazing to me. I envy the hell out of it, and wish I felt the same way, as at this point, I get zero joy from the experience of watching playoff hockey, just anxiety, followed by heartbreak, and incredulous disbelief that I actually thought it could play out any differently this time.

Just envy the hell out of those of you with faith. Amazing people.

Everything ends eventually.

:)

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Optimism and pessimism are equally pointless to me. Two sides of the same coin.

Realistically, all the metrics point to a loss.

What remains to be seen is if this Game 7 will be an outlier or start a new trend.

Odds aren't in their favor.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Scoring first is an absolute must tomorrow. Score first and I'd give the Caps a 75% chance of winning. Rangers score first and I'd put the Caps chances at about 10%.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I dont think its about scoring first, I think its about enduring the barrage of the first period. The Rangers are going to come out absolutely stoked, with their rabid fans behind them. If the Caps can get out the first either leading, tied or down no MORE than one goal, they'll be in good shape.

This extra day helps the Caps ENORMOUSLY. The team will be well rested and fresh, and mentally, game 6 will be a distant memory once the puck drops tomorrow night.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
IIRC we thought the start of game 7 vs the Isles would involve a lot of intensity but both teams seemed to be feeling each other out for quite a while. Wonder if this series will be different...

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
agree about the extra day being massive for us.
even if to just break the trend.

it comes back to us playing big and strong. thats our strength. gotta set that tone early. we played our best hockey in round 1 when we were big and tough and with Boyle and Yandle on their backend, its still our best option.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
So, if we keep up the same pace as late in the 3rd in game 6, can we expect to outshoot them 200-0?

That was an impressive barrage we threw up at them. The Rags getting the first goal just seems so us. We come back on a goal by Ovi. The cardiac comeback caps.

And then OT.

marcel snapshot

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
It's hockey. Ultimately it's just a silly game. Of course, we're here because of all the silly games we could follow, this one is the most gripping and compelling, and the guys that play it are - to me, anyway - the most relatable.

I stay optimistic because it's a more enjoyable diversion to put a little (cost-free) optimistic skin in the game. Following the Caps is like gambling. You get all the pain and the heartache that comes with losing without, unless you actually bet on the team (and if you do, Jah help you) the monetary loss and material deprivation. You get the thrill of believing that this time might actually be the time where it's different, where we get to cash in all the losing hands we played and come out ahead. There's really no point in being a fan without believing.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
As a long time Capitals fan, if we win the cup I have no doubt it will be more enjoyable than any other team winning it. We have been through so much **** it's not right.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
The thought of the Caps losing this year bothers me more than years past because our best players are getting to the age where we may see decline. Every year that goes bye I feel bad for Ovi.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
Come on, guys. The thread poll says Caps in 7, the Caps are going to game 7.

You're getting exactly what you wanted and still complaining? There's seriously no pleasing some people.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

(*Reverse Curse To Follow*)

I do NOT think you will win but I hope you do. Good luck, guys.

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
As a long time Capitals fan, if we win the cup I have no doubt it will be more enjoyable than any other team winning it. We have been through so much **** it's not right.

The only problem I'm having with this line of thinking is that after all the years of enduring failure I might snap and stop caring before we actually do it haha...I think I've only got a couple more years of this crap in me before I say "**** you, Jobu" and peace the **** out of sports fandom...

One epic win would probably sustain me for another twenty five years tho haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->