Series Discussion: Round 2 (Caps vs Penguins) 2016 Playoffs (Pens fans, read note in OP) - Part II

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I hope when they re-insert Orpik into the lineup they don't assume he will be a defensive stalwart. They need to go in with the mindset that he is a bottom 3 defenseman instead of a top 4 defenseman. Maybe rotate Orpik and Orlov with Carlson depending on the situation. Ride Niskanen, Alzner, and Carlson as much as possible and limit the ice time of Orlov, Orpik, and Chorney unless it's like a blowout or something.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I hope when they re-insert Orpik into the lineup they don't assume he will be a defensive stalwart. They need to go in with the mindset that he is a bottom 3 defenseman instead of a top 4 defenseman. Maybe rotate Orpik and Orlov with Carlson depending on the situation. Ride Niskanen, Alzner, and Carlson as much as possible and limit the ice time of Orlov, Orpik, and Chorney unless it's like a blowout or something.

you don't really expect that. do you? you think Orlov and Schmidt and Chorney who take healthy scratches in this series are going to play similar minutes as the captain of the defense?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So, I am on the road all day Thursday. Hauling to Watkins Glen NY. So I will be stuck in a tiny NY state vacation community in a race track paddock without internet access on Thursday evening. I cant imagine there is a Buffalo Wild Wings there anywhere.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
you don't really expect that. do you? you think Orlov and Schmidt and Chorney who take healthy scratches in this series are going to play similar minutes as the captain of the defense?

I don't expect it, no. I think Trotz and co. are too invested in Orpik to make that decision.

I just hope Orpik isn't relied on as heavily as the top 3 because he is clearly not as good as them and his skillset isn't great against a fast team like the Penguins. This hasn't been a particularly physical series despite the suspensions.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
had to do it. cant show lack of faith/weakness.
but it has potential to be a bigger issue than if they had gone with Fleury.

it create a situation should the caps be able to force a game 7. who wants a rusty #1 goalie coming off an injury playing his first game back in a game 7?

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Really hope Kuz and Ovi can build on the brief chances during the regular season when they were pretty dominant. That second line just wasn't getting work done with Kuz centering them. Here's to hoping it changes tonight!

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
i think you would be standing alone if you think Hotlby didnt play better in game 5 than he did in game 4....but I dont expect you to admit anything

as for flukes...I just dont see it that way. I see fluke goals as more like Chimera and Kuznetsov goals in round 1. Crazy bounces and the like. These fluke goals you speak of were off typical hockey plays...go to the net, throw the puck on net....get a fortunate bounce. Its not the same thing IMO as a puck that gets dumped in and take s a crazy bounce out front and on a forwards stick. I realize that doesnt support your position but to categorize the goals on Holtby with the truly fluky isnt accurate

Chimera's goal was not a fluke goal. Mason just flat out screwed it up. It was a horrendous goal to give up and it was entirely Mason's fault.

A fluke goal would be bouncing off of a stanchion, like Kuz's goal.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada

I hope it plays out that way, too.

Not sure if it'll play out that way but I'm all in favour of a blowout for the Caps. :P

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
it create a situation should the caps be able to force a game 7. who wants a rusty #1 goalie coming off an injury playing his first game back in a game 7?

Going Fluery makes game 7 decision easier, but they are going for the win now. It's the right call. But this decision is better for the Caps too.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Going Fluery makes game 7 decision easier, but they are going for the win now. It's the right call. But this decision is better for the Caps too.

who after winning 3 games doesn't every team go for the 4th win in the next game? they went for the win in the last game and missed. they will go for the win in game 6. Unless the Caps run Murray out of the building tomorrow night, they should go with Murray in g7 should the Caps win g6.

Doesn't mean they will

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I will say this, murrays played deeper in his crease the last 80 minutes. Early on he was strutting and strutting hard. His anticipation and aggressiveness got him here, but he has wavered from that of late.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

What's it like in your fantasy world? ;)

marcel snapshot

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
When I say sacrifice, I mean let my toddler have it. Who by the way is quite the hockey fan. He screams at a Holts save, but not the other G. A left shot from day one, and never flips his twig over when at RD. He uses his twig indoors more than any other toy, and has a great backhand. He is currently in development camp learning to use the twig to pull lost toys out from under the couch.

RH - you may want to go ahead and get started setting up a kids' travel hockey fund account. While it's true that toddlers love swatting at stuff with a stick, yours sounds like he may have the bug - which means you're potentially looking at at least $50-75K worth of total travel hockey expenses through high school in today's $, and that's assuming he's not a Tier 1 stud, in which case you'll need an annuity or three. But it's all worth it.

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
Dear god, I thought the game was tonight…

Although I think it would have benefitted the Caps to play tonight, I'm enjoying this extra day of getting to still be active in the playoffs no matter what happens, and speculate on "what if".
Let's hope they win tomorrow!

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
RH - you may want to go ahead and get started setting up a kids' travel hockey fund account. While it's true that toddlers love swatting at stuff with a stick, yours sounds like he may have the bug - which means you're potentially looking at at least $50-75K worth of total travel hockey expenses through high school in today's $, and that's assuming he's not a Tier 1 stud, in which case you'll need an annuity or three. But it's all worth it.

I will simply push roller hock, or if I fail, have already planned to tap into his 522, my 401, no worries :)

:cry:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
The setup is quite good.

Good lineup, Holtby in top form, Murray under pressure.

Plz no ****ing odd man rushes.

We can do it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Although I think it would have benefitted the Caps to play tonight, I'm enjoying this extra day of getting to still be active in the playoffs no matter what happens, and speculate on "what if".
Let's hope they win tomorrow!

I actually disagree. I think the extra day gives the Penguins more time to think about the potential collapse (or so I hope).

Sep 19, 2008
FWIW what's to say that Murray won't return to form and dazzle in front of a home crowd tomorrow? Tomorrow still makes me uncomfortable. I won't breathe easy until we finish that series with 4 wins. Plenty of teams have worked their way back to 3-2 and faltered in Game 6, one example being the Flyers last series. So tomorrow is no guarantee. The way the series has gone though, just go out there and play like you did Game 5.

I don't think anyone has "solved" Murray, he had a bad game and it's no guarantee he'll look like that tomorrow. Take the lead early and D up. Limit your turnovers. Help Holtby out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->