Series Discussion: Round 2 (Caps vs Penguins) 2016 Playoffs (Pens fans, read note in OP) - Part II

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
when you are supposed to lose, you are supposed to lose. not win 3 games in a row. Caps were in this boat last season and most people I know remember the Caps as choking and not that they were suppose to lose.

Only because it fits the established Ovechkin narrative.

Do you honestly believe that Crosby will/would get the same treatment?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
The Caps play well with their backs to the wall. If only they could show this urgency before it got to 3-1 for the Pens. But yes, it's one game at a time in elimination games obviously.

This is why I think if Caps get past pens - I think they're winning the cup. This is the perfect matchup.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I don't understand the "lack of urgency" thing.

Caps played one of the best games, if not the best game, of any team in the playoffs so far in game three.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
We take game 6 the series is ours. I don't feel like this current group of guys **** the bed like the last game 7 caps-pens.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I still don't think they win the game in 6, but it'd be so Washington to win Game 6 then get destroyed at home 6-1. Just gotta twist the knife a little more. XD

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Big things for game 6...

Orpik, who he skates with, and who gets bumped out. And, will he step up and risk odd mans or stay back, where, and lets be reality, we need him most.

Losing last change / matching up our new lines. I am not terribly concerned, but it is a factor. I was impressed with the svensk line. I still say, a ship of vikings does not fear penguins huddled for warmth on a floating ice chuck. Barry needs to keep doing things like slipping Ovi out right after a faceoff. Those things screw up Pitts ability to match lines. I am impressed Barry is doing that. I feel those types of coaches playoff tweaks have been sorely ignored for the past decade. Instead, power on power!!!!1!... largely for the loss.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Only because it fits the established Ovechkin narrative.

Do you honestly believe that Crosby will/would get the same treatment?

oh, sure. if the Penguins lose this series, Crosby is going to get lit up. It was bad choking to the Rangers last season, but this time it would be the Capitals doing it to them. Its worse if the current trajectory of the personal stats continues with Ov being dynamic and Crosby being invisible.

The Canadian media won't be able to deal with the idea that Ovechkin(Russia) proved to have the upper hand on Crosby(Canada). They will throw him under the bus. They will say he is done and will move on to McDavid.

Had the Pens just quietly lost, it wouldn't have been that way. It would have just been the Caps year. Now? The Pens are poised to prove that Ov is a choker and Crosby is a winner. Its too late to go back to, its just the Caps year.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I still don't think they win the game in 6, but it'd be so Washington to win Game 6 then get destroyed at home 6-1. Just gotta twist the knife a little more. XD

I will admit that I am tired. Its late in the year and my post playoffs life is off and running. I don't have emotion left to spend on them losing. Personally, I have felt like they are going to win. There are some players in that locker room that not only have their backs against the wall for this season, but for their careers.

Ov and Backstrom have got feel that way. Williams risks destroying his reputation. Oshie has saved his reputation only to find the team potentially flushing it away.

These Caps are more desperate than I think many grasp. That includes Trotz.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
yeah im tired too. and the caps usually find a way to get me filled with such hope only to crush.

these next 2 games (hopefully) determine how much joy i will get out of next regular season, regardless of what happens after this.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I will admit that I am tired. Its late in the year and my post playoffs life is off and running. I don't have emotion left to spend on them losing. Personally, I have felt like they are going to win. There are some players in that locker room that not only have their backs against the wall for this season, but for their careers.

Ov and Backstrom have got feel that way. Williams risks destroying his reputation. Oshie has saved his reputation only to find the team potentially flushing it away.

These Caps are more desperate than I think many grasp. That includes Trotz.

Most importantly, more desperate than the Penguins.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Lucy has the football all lined up. This time it's going to be differ...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am emotionally invested and prepared to sacrifice my laptop.

When I say sacrifice, I mean let my toddler have it. Who by the way is quite the hockey fan. He screams at a Holts save, but not the other G. A left shot from day one, and never flips his twig over when at RD. He uses his twig indoors more than any other toy, and has a great backhand. He is currently in development camp learning to use the twig to pull lost toys out from under the couch.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
good lineup. That's a lineup that can take a road game. Just stay collected and hopefully draw a double-minor high sticking penalty at some point...or 2...or 3...

I've softened on my need for Schmidt to stay in the lineup because I for some reason saw Orpik moving into the 3rd pair with Chorney over Orlov/Schmidt.

If you're PIT and you're thinking of making any move at the goalie position think it would be smart to start Fleury in Game 6 for the Pens. If you start him and lose then you can go back to Murray. If you start Murray and he loses again...you start Fleury on the road in Game 7 with a long layoff. Then if you go back to Murray for Game 7 he's already had his confidence shot.

Personally, I would just ride Murray. But what are big contracts for if not controversy.

Obviously if you win with Fleury in net for Game 6 you worry about the goalie controversy to start the next series, but then again you're IN the next series so you're happy.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Teams always need every save a goaltender gives them. Holtby played his usual game, which is typically steady with some outstanding saves thrown in (when already up 2 goals in this case). He hasn't given up many bad goals the entire series and he's been victimized by fluke plays. If not for those flukes his save % matches last night's results.

This wasn't a 1-0 stolen game. The Caps finally woke up and got some scoring, including on the power play, and the Pens didn't get any freak goals. As a result the better goaltender won, which could've been the case in most of the other games in the series with a bit more puck luck and a better PP.

Keep banging that drum, though. ;)

i think you would be standing alone if you think Hotlby didnt play better in game 5 than he did in game 4....but I dont expect you to admit anything

as for flukes...I just dont see it that way. I see fluke goals as more like Chimera and Kuznetsov goals in round 1. Crazy bounces and the like. These fluke goals you speak of were off typical hockey plays...go to the net, throw the puck on net....get a fortunate bounce. Its not the same thing IMO as a puck that gets dumped in and take s a crazy bounce out front and on a forwards stick. I realize that doesnt support your position but to categorize the goals on Holtby with the truly fluky isnt accurate

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
It was without a doubt Holtby's best game of the series so far. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise. He made a handful of absolutely incredible saves.

While its beyond me...I fully expect some people (or person) to hold on tightly to that belief.

He was at his absolute best, and thats what they needed. Just about everyone sees that

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
He was equally good for the 2-1 loss in Game 2. He had 33 saves and faced 5 power plays. He was only beaten by great bang-bang plays to the front of the net. .943 save% and first star. He looked like he was in the zone much of the night and both goals were pretty shocking, especially the late Fehr goal.

I think he had his best/flashiest saves of the series in Game 5, but he's been pretty damn good throughout the playoffs. I'm not sure why this is even still a thing.

He was excellent in game 2, no question. The goals that beat him were both up high and ans you said, bang-bang plays.

IMO he was better in game 5 due to the stakes being that much higher and he having two of his best saves of the series late in the 2nd.

He was certainly a lot better in game 5 than in game 4, which is when I and a few others said they needed a better game from him...they got it, they won. I dont know why you seem to either want to argue against that or if you really dont see it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->