Prospect Info: Round 1, Pick 27: Morgan Frost, C, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why does every thread degenerate into "fire Hakstol?" Like we don't have enough of those already?

Frost can play 3C, it's not like he's going to get matched against Malkin on a regular basis.

And he can PK, forwards don't have to be physical to chase the puck, you need more bulk in your defensemen because they're almost guaranted to be in a wrestling match in front of the net.

How big was Giroux at 21?
Though they did take their time, he played two post draft seasons, in the second he put up these playoff numbers: 19g 17-34 51
Then he spent half a season in the AHL, before coming up for his 21st birthday.

So if you think Hextall is conservative . . .

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Why does every thread degenerate into "fire Hakstol?" Like we don't have enough of those already?

Frost can play 3C, it's not like he's going to get matched against Malkin on a regular basis.

And he can PK, forwards don't have to be physical to chase the puck, you need more bulk in your defensemen because they're almost guaranted to be in a wrestling match in front of the net.

How big was Giroux at 21?
Though they did take their time, he played two post draft seasons, in the second he put up these playoff numbers: 19g 17-34 51
Then he spent half a season in the AHL, before coming up for his 21st birthday.

So if you think Hextall is conservative . . .
How do you not understand that it is a case by case basis, just because we want some prospects playing younger doesn't mean we want all of them. We are fine with Frost, Myers, Ratcliffe, etc. being slowly worked in. The conservitive thing comes from Sanheim, Morin, and Lindblom who are all older than Giroux was.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I am pretty torn on this. Absolutely for offensive ability, not much he can improve on. But still physically he is quite small and there may be some work he can do in the OHL to focus on how he plays even if it declines his offensive numbers a bit. Frost is listed at 5-11, 172lbs.

Then again... here in Toronto the Leafsdom had the same debate over Marner. Currently listed at 6-0, 175lbs, and certainly last year I wouldn't be surprised to hear if he was actually closer to 160lbs. Marner is now about to put up back to back 60pt seasons in his first two years in the league.

I just think you have to put Frost in on wing to start in the NHL. It's not like Patrick is a beast so slotting Patrick #2 and Frost #3 centre makes us too soft down the middle.
I go back to what Chris Pryor said at the season ticket holders meeting. When asked about Frost in the NHL next year, he said something like, 'if Morgan was sitting here beside us in street clothes, you would not be asking me if he could play in the NHL next year. He is very immature, and needs time to mature and fill out.'

Given that assessment, I suspect he's even scrawnier than Marner. I don't want him to get killed in the NHL while he's barely shaving. Another year in the OHL, with a trip to WJC as leader, a second go at the Memorial Cup, is not a punishment. He can improve his game, work on his strength, and play in the NHL the next year.

Now, if he comes to camp and is too good to send down, we'll see. My money is on OHL.

Reactions: Pantokrator

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, the most important issue with regard to this organization is the arrival of players like Frost, NAK, Myers, etc., which is determined by Hextall.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I go back to what Chris Pryor said at the season ticket holders meeting. When asked about Frost in the NHL next year, he said something like, 'if Morgan was sitting here beside us in street clothes, you would not be asking me if he could play in the NHL next year. He is very immature, and needs time to mature and fill out.'

Given that assessment, I suspect he's even scrawnier than Marner. I don't want him to get killed in the NHL while he's barely shaving. Another year in the OHL, with a trip to WJC as leader, a second go at the Memorial Cup, is not a punishment. He can improve his game, work on his strength, and play in the NHL the next year.

Now, if he comes to camp and is too good to send down, we'll see. My money is on OHL.

Given that assesment I suspect that Pryor is as incompetent as the rest of the organization.

Reactions: kelmitchell

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Frost will decide his own future, they'll watch him in TC and exhibition games and see if he's a good bet to survive 90+ games - because I think next year this will be a 100 point team since they'll have Stolarz and Hart in the AHL if Elliott gets hurt (we know Neuvirth will get hurt).

It's obvious that Frost is wasting his time in juniors next year, but he's too good to risk if he's not physically ready for the NHL.

Which, given his speed and smarts, doesn't require a he-man physique, just enough muscle to handle some dirty shots (and those are inevitable, especially if you're a flashy rookie).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Many of the players arriving are smarter than Sanheim, so they'll play.
Frost especially, Hextall practically salivates when he talks about Frost's hockey IQ.

Frost and Vorobyev, when Hextall deems them ready, will be instant starters, because they're "reliable."
Myers might need more marinating, but his advantage over Sanheim will be along the boards and in front of the net, he's a BIG boy.
NAK has had two years to learn to be "reliable." Morin two years plus a year to observe and learn.

Sanheim and Laughton are the only young players that Hakstol has been reluctant to play, and both lack ice awareness relative to players like Provorov and Patrick. If Sanheim continues to play as he has the last few games, he's never leaving the lineup again.

With Konecny and Ghost, it was just your basic coach's "2x4" applied to the side of the head of mules. The mules eventually learned.

Reactions: JXC

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Many of the players arriving are smarter than Sanheim, so they'll play.
Frost especially, Hextall practically salivates when he talks about Frost's hockey IQ.

Frost and Vorobyev, when Hextall deems them ready, will be instant starters, because they're "reliable."
Myers might need more marinating, but his advantage over Sanheim will be along the boards and in front of the net, he's a BIG boy.
NAK has had two years to learn to be "reliable." Morin two years plus a year to observe and learn.

Sanheim and Laughton are the only young players that Hakstol has been reluctant to play, and both lack ice awareness relative to players like Provorov and Patrick. If Sanheim continues to play as he has the last few games, he's never leaving the lineup again.

With Konecny and Ghost, it was just your basic coach's "2x4" applied to the side of the head of mules. The mules eventually learned.
The "mules" kicked the dumb f*** farmer upside his head and he realized what a dumb f*** he was.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I dont know why you have attached yourself to this idea that Sanheim isn't smart.

Because smart players don't spend two years in juniors and a year in the AHL and still look like a deer in the headlights.
Just watch Provorov as a 19 year old rookie, or Patrick as a 19 year old rookie.
That's what smart players look like.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Because smart players don't spend two years in juniors and a year in the AHL and still look like a deer in the headlights.
Just watch Provorov as a 19 year old rookie, or Patrick as a 19 year old rookie.
That's what smart players look like.

hVPzRsr.gif

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad