Series Talk: Round 1: Enter Los Angeles Kings

What will be the result of this series?

• Total voters

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
That angle definitely looks like the contact was accidental and Kopitar embellished

Oh, it wasn't accidental but there was definitely embellishment. Cross-checking a guy and then sitting on him so he can't get up is playoff hockey gamesmanship and happens all the time, so I've got no problem with it. Just like I have no problem with the guy on the ice popping the other guy in the face to say, "GET OFF OF ME!"

I'm honestly just surprised that a team who made a living - and won two Cups - off of hard-nosed playoff hockey is now crying foul when someone else does it to them.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Oh, it wasn't accidental but there was definitely embellishment. Cross-checking a guy and then sitting on him so he can't get up is playoff hockey gamesmanship and happens all the time, so I've got no problem with it. Just like I have no problem with the guy on the ice popping the other guy in the face to say, "GET OFF OF ME!"

I'm honestly just surprised that a team who made a living - and won two Cups - off of hard-nosed playoff hockey is now crying foul when someone else does it to them.

Pretty ironic, isn't it. Quite hilarious too.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The good news about sweeping: more time to rest/recover before next round. (And study next opponent)

The bad thing about sweeping: say goodbye to familiar TV faces/voices after just four games. (All games rounds 2-4 are with national broadcasters. To get the local call, you need to tune into the radio and learn to sync with TV.)
(Now, they may have a "local" TV pre/post game show or stream)

Aug 3, 2010
Congratulations Vegas fans! Not that I have to tell you, but your team deserves its accolades. That was some fantastic hockey. Cheering on Engelland and Fleury; here's to at least 4 more games of postseason fun!

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
The LA Kings are dead.

Not this King. (He lives forever.)

GelvisA.gif

This (Los Angeles) king:

Zhead.gif

Last edited:

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
The bad thing about sweeping: say goodbye to familiar TV faces/voices after just four games. (All games rounds 2-4 are with national broadcasters. To get the local call, you need to tune into the radio and learn to sync with TV.)
(Now, they may have a "local" TV pre/post game show or stream)

You know what I found interesting? Even though I'm in the Kings market, the national NBCSN feed wasn't blacked out - which was awesome. I think the new Kings play-by-play guy Alex Faust is good, but my favorite announcer ever is Chris Cuthbert, and I think Ray Ferraro is the best analyst in hockey - and Cuthbert/Ferraro called the VGK games for NBCSN! I'm seriously hoping they keep them together for the VGK-Sharks series.

Meanwhile, Brendan Burke and Mike Johnson are calling the SJ-ANA series - and they're fantastic as well. If we end up with either broadcast duo in the next round we'll be just fine. :)

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
The LA Kings are dead.

Not this King. (He lives forever.)

View attachment 114807
Agreed. There's an argument for the sincere gospel influenced pre-Army Elvis music over the slick over produced pop of Sargent Peppers.

This series was a huge upset. The expansion team who wasn't supposed to make the playoffs sweeps the SC veterans who won the Cup just 4 short years ago! I love it!

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
You know what I found interesting? Even though I'm in the Kings market, the national NBCSN feed wasn't blacked out

I listened to the LA Kings feed. I found their repeated call for "more physicality" on the part of the Kings ridiculous. This was an interesting anachronism, indeed.

The Kings outhit the Knights by a wide margin, but they couldn't score enough goals: scoring three goals and being shutout twice in four games. The Kings failure to adjust to the fast hockey of today's game will condemn them to mediocrity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevada Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad