Series Talk: Round 1: Enter Los Angeles Kings

What will be the result of this series?

• Total voters

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Like how the explanation was not related to the game. I thought something in this explanation would be about retaliation against Carrier. Just looking at the hit as the hit.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Okay, lets have a moment of neutral clarity. Let's pretend that wasn't Carrier and Doughty last night and that this suspension doesn't (supposedly) help us. Is that really a suspendable hit?

I get the head thing, I really do. We don't want guys getting all messed up from getting their bell rung every day, but that hit? A game? In the playoffs?

Am I crazy to think that should just be a fine?

Reactions: YP44

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Okay, lets have a moment of neutral clarity. Let's pretend that wasn't Carrier and Doughty last night and that this suspension doesn't (supposedly) help us. Is that really a suspendable hit?

I get the head thing, I really do. We don't want guys getting all messed up from getting their bell rung every day, but that hit? A game? In the playoffs?

I thought it was a cheap shot & suspension worthy in today's NHL.

Like I said before, that's a "hockey play" in the 70s, 80s & 90s, & not another word is spoken about it. The caveat being if it was Gretzky or Lemieux on the receiving end. Only then a suspension would be handed down.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

Head shots and hits on opposing players that get injured like taking out someone's knee and is unable to play for multiple games will get you a suspension in the playoffs.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

That's how they've been reviewing these hits and they've really cracked down the past 2 years. I'm just surprised they would actually suspend a star player. The fact that it seemed retaliatory didn't help his case.

Who wants to make the GDT? Probably need one within 2 hours.

Last edited:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
In the absence of people with talent, the GDT falls to me, I suppose.

I’ll try to make it not suck.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

Doughty has no intention of just making a hard hit to flatten Carrier there, or even a body-bump to impede him. It was “fly through and catch him high” act, practiced so many times to look like incidental contact, but that doesn’t fly when your target is the puck carrier, you have no interest in the puck, and you try to sell it as if you just got tangled up. The fact that it’s a star player on a role player only enforced the fact that the league got it right. It used to have to be a plug hitting a star to get a suspension in the playoffs. Things are better now, imo.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I love how Neal waits for the celebration in the corner, like “over here, boys, let’s use the boards so we don’t fall and get crushed by teammates” haha

Also nice to see him on the scoresheet, he’s been either quiet or injured for so long. Still seems quite contact-shy when we have offensive possession.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
You guys are lucky to have chris cuthbert and Ray Ferraro calling the games. We get Dave randorf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad