Series Discussion: Round 1 (Caps vs Flyers) 2016 Playoffs (times and dates included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
PP glory aside, it was a defensive struggle much more than I thought it would be.

Hakstol was a fool to open the series with such a passive PK, after it has been proven effective against us to go aggressive at the big dance. And stick with that lame duck PK through the disaster PK in game 3.

Wow losing out to Neuvy would have been a new low. Crisis averted.

Oshie tied with Nick with ES points - 3. Oshie was a stud. Def one of my MVP candidates for the series. Sure he overpasses but when a goalie is in the zone, that extra pass eventually has to be tried. It doesn't have to be screen or bust.

Last edited:

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
PP glory aside, it was a defensive struggle much more than I thought it would be.

Hakstol was a fool to open the series with such a passive PK, after it has been proven effective against us to go aggressive at the big dance. And stick with that lame duck PK through the disaster PK in game 3.

Wow losing out to Neuvy would have been a new low. Crisis averted.

Oshie tied with Nick with ES points - 3. Oshie was a stud. Def one of my MVP candidates for the series. Sure he overpasses but when a goalie is in the zone, that extra pass eventually has to be tried. It doesn't have to be screen or bust.

It's funny how Williams looked like the better acquisition in the regular season, but Oshie's been better in the playoffs. Total role reversal. Watching Oshie it's hard to believe he had a rap as a playoff no-show, he's been really impressive.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
It's funny how Williams looked like the better acquisition in the regular season, but Oshie's been better in the playoffs. Total role reversal. Watching Oshie it's hard to believe he had a rap as a playoff no-show, he's been really impressive.

Really? I thought they were pretty even in the regular season.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Really? I thought they were pretty even in the regular season.

I expected more from Oshie given that he was playing with Ovie and Backstrom. Hard to believe a guy coming off 39 and 36 assist season only managed 25 after being put on a line with Alex Ovechkin, but I guess his spot on the PP has a lot to do with that. On the other hand, Williams was coming off 43 and 41 point seasons and Kings fans thought he was in decline. Rebounding to 52 at his age was pretty unexpected, although maybe we should've seen it coming considering the system he was playing in in LA. I guess they ended up being fairly even, but their performances relative to my expectations were very different.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I expected more from Oshie given that he was playing with Ovie and Backstrom. Hard to believe a guy coming off 39 and 36 assist season only managed 25 after being put on a line with Alex Ovechkin, but I guess his spot on the PP has a lot to do with that.

I think Oshie has been excellent. Sure, his points didn't go up relative to previous years but he's playing great defense, and he does a lot of the hard work along the boards for that line. They take on a lot of tough assignments defensively and they won those battles all season long.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I think Oshie has been excellent. Sure, his points didn't go up relative to previous years but he's playing great defense, and he does a lot of the hard work along the boards for that line. They take on a lot of tough assignments defensively and they won those battles all season long.

Oh yeah, he's been great regardless of the point totals. Not trying to say he had a bad season or anything. It's just that coming from a team where he was a 60 point player while being used on a power versus power line, and moving to a team where he's on an even better power versus power line, I didn't expect his assists to drop off.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Impressed by Oshie. Impressed by the hitting. Impressed by the clutch goal that game them a shot at game 4. Impressed that he fought Schenn, "first man out."

His defense makes Trotz desire to match up first lines so hard to go against. Backstrom and Oshie on coverage and Ovechkin the destroyer. When a first line has a defensive breakdown, they can strike like a first line.

I was harsh on Williams for his lack of production and his penalty puke in game 5, but I am confident that a reason why this bunch didn't fall to that terrible high sticking penalty and the 5 on 3 that followed was his presence.

Need Orpik back

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Impressed by Oshie. Impressed by the hitting. Impressed by the clutch goal that game them a shot at game 4. Impressed that he fought Schenn, "first man out."

His defense makes Trotz desire to match up first lines so hard to go against. Backstrom and Oshie on coverage and Ovechkin the destroyer. When a first line has a defensive breakdown, they can strike like a first line.

I was harsh on Williams for his lack of production and his penalty puke in game 5, but I am confident that a reason why this bunch didn't fall to that terrible high sticking penalty and the 5 on 3 that followed was his presence.

Need Orpik back

I agree. Orpik and Williams are obviously important vets to have dressed on the roster.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Really great to see Nicky, matched up head-to-head against Giroux for most of the series, just completely outplay him in most phases of the game (except for face-offs) - goals, assists, points, +/-, leadership, defensive awareness. Especially gratifying after that punk-arse performance by Giroux at the end of the regular season. Don't usually like to rain bitter on people, but I'm fine with a guy like Giroux having to answer questions all summer about why his game disappeared when it mattered most.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Really great to see Nicky, matched up head-to-head against Giroux for most of the series, just completely outplay him in most phases of the game (except for face-offs) - goals, assists, points, +/-, leadership, defensive awareness. Especially gratifying after that punk-arse performance by Giroux at the end of the regular season. Don't usually like to rain bitter on people, but I'm fine with a guy like Giiroux having to answer questions all summer about why his game disappeared when it mattered most.

Having seen every game he's played as a Flyer, he's 'disappeared' in all 13 playoff games since he got the 'C'. in 2014 vs the Rangers, all 7 games, pretty much the same thing as he was for these 6. Not every elite regular season player thrives when the money is on the line. SC playoffs are a pressure cooker of a whole different level. And since he's generally above reproach here, unfortunately, nothing will happen. The media here likes Giroux and he's generally not criticized enough. They think he's a 'great' leader. But that 'leader' has struggled in the playoffs since being made Captain. it's a heavy letter to wear in this town.

For all the crap Richards suffered thru by the media here, the only 2 deep playoff runs , 2008 and 2010, to the CF and 2010 to SCF where the Richards led teams, when in 2010 he was barely 25. Giroux turns 29 next year and has led them nowhere post season.

Leadership, esp in playoffs, OT, game /season on the line, isn't something you can teach or coach, you either have it, or you don't, Richards has always had it in spades.

Flyers playing golf every April since MR was traded to LA who couldn't get deep but with him 3 CF's and 2 SCF's, the booted him , didn't make the playoffs last year and barely got 1 win this year. Not a coincidence that every where he'd played, usually a championship follows, per Bob McKenzie, 'he's got more team trophy hardware than anyone playing the sport for a reason, he's a pure winner and prove n champion.

Last edited:

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
Really hoping they outplay them by a wide margin and win it in 5 to make it even funnier than the flyers taking us to 6. Lets go, this series can really prove a lot.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Having seen every game he's played as a Flyer, he's 'disappeared' in all 13 playoff games since he got the 'C'. in 2014 vs the Rangers, all 7 games, pretty much the same thing as he was for these 6. Not every elite regular season player thrives when the money is on the line. SC playoffs are a pressure cooker of a whole different level. And since he's generally above reproach here, unfortunately, nothing will happen. The media here likes Giroux and he's generally not criticized enough. They think he's a 'great' leader. But that 'leader' has struggled in the playoffs since being made Captain. it's a heavy letter to wear in this town.

For all the crap Richards suffered thru by the media here, the only 2 deep playoff runs , 2008 and 2010, to the CF and 2010 to SCF where the Richards led teams, when in 2010 he was barely 25. Giroux turns 29 next year and has led them nowhere post season.

Leadership, esp in playoffs, OT, game /season on the line, isn't something you can teach or coach, you either have it, or you don't, Richards has always had it in spades.

Flyers playing golf every April since MR was traded to LA who couldn't get deep but with him 3 CF's and 2 SCF's, the booted him , didn't make the playoffs last year and barely got 1 win this year. Not a coincidence that every where he'd played, usually a championship follows, per Bob McKenzie, 'he's got more team trophy hardware than anyone playing the sport for a reason, he's a pure winner and prove n champion.

When I see elite players struggle on "wild card" teams in playoffs, and it happens all the time, I take it with a grain of salt... It's too easy for opponents to focus on those guys, too much pressure to carry the offensive load. And all great players have had some terrible (production-wise) playoff series.

Can't say Giroux was really noticeable in the series, but the Caps have pretty good team D and Flyers were probably somewhat spent after making their run to make playoffs... dunno.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
When I see elite players struggle on "wild card" teams in playoffs, and it happens all the time, I take it with a grain of salt... It's too easy for opponents to focus on those guys, too much pressure to carry the offensive load. And all great players have had some terrible (production-wise) playoff series.

Can't say Giroux was really noticeable in the series, but the Caps have pretty good team D and Flyers were probably somewhat spent after making their run to make playoffs... dunno.

Exactly this. Want better results? Get better players to surround your captain with. I could've said the same in regards to Ovie a few seasons ago especially when Caps missed the PO's.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011

You see this every year with one-line teams. Opposition puts everything into stopping that one line and dares 2 through 4 to beat them. Caps did it to Giroux's line this year, and we did it to Tavares line last year. Other teams did it to our top line in the past. It's incredibly tough for the top line in that situation to produce consistently. If Giroux still had the forward depth of the 08-10 Flyers teams to support him, I think he'd be a lot more productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->