Series Discussion: Round 1 (Caps vs Flyers) 2016 Playoffs (times and dates included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
stimpy-red-button.gif

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
It's become tradition for me to cheer you guys on in the post season. I'm an Oiler fan, and my team is allergic to playoffs, and pride, so every year I hop on the Caps bandwagon. You guys have a lot of support from our fanbase, and a lot of us are hoping that this year is the year you guys can go all the way. Would love to see Ovi hoist the Cup, so good luck guys, and Go Caps Go!

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It's become tradition for me to cheer you guys on in the post season. I'm an Oiler fan, and my team is allergic to playoffs, and pride, so every year I hop on the Caps bandwagon. You guys have a lot of support from our fanbase, and a lot of us are hoping that this year is the year you guys can take the Cup. Would love to see Ovi hoist the Cup, so good luck guys, and Go Caps Go!

Thanks! Bandwagon has lots of room. Tell your friends. :D

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County

Guess i'll be carrying "protection" when I go out into the city from now on. That fanbase is ****ing insane lol

Seriously though, it's a divisional opponent and the Caps so it has to go 7. It's a law somewhere.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I think it depends on where the caps are mentally. Losing to them in their last game might not be such a bad thing, if it makes the caps feel like it's a genuinely undecided outcome.

I highly doubt the caps will sweep them, and wouldn't be at all surprised if they lose game 1. The question is whether that 'rally in the third period' attitude can translate to whole games in the playoffs or not.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Their goalie has actually been pretty good for two seasons now.

I still think the Capitals are better and deeper at every position, so hopefully they win in less than 7 games.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm not feeling that first game at all...

...which would be a disaster, imo. If they're still unable to flip the switch for Game 1 then it's hard to see them going from 0 to 100 in the next game. They may THINK they've done so, and only need to decide they're finally serious, but that could easily mean losing the first two at home.

Think in terms of the 2nd round sweep at the hands of the Bolts in 2011. They were overconfident, just like the year before when they lost to MTL. Better not start this series the same way.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
So caps win presidents trophy but don't even play the 8th team in the east. Flyers may finish with almost 10 more points then Detroit - but Detroit is going to get the team that was 6th in the conference.

You know this standings system is flawed when the 6th place team in the East gets a more favorable matchup than the team that won the Presidents trophy.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
So caps win presidents trophy but don't even play the 8th team in the east. Flyers may finish with almost 10 more points then Detroit - but Detroit is going to get the team that was 6th in the conference.

You know this standings system is flawed when the 6th place team in the East gets a more favorable matchup than the team that won the Presidents trophy.
Almost ten points? They lead by one

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
This is going to be a tough first round series. I hope that in a 7 game series the Caps depth shows up.

Its going to be easier than you think. Flyers have been playing under pressure for the last two weeks. They struggled against lowly Toronto a couple of nights ago. Even their own fans admit they are a tired team.

That said Caps need to show absolute killer instinct from Game 1. Go out and steamroll them.

Also, what a major league choke job by Boston, losing to non-contenders Ottawa and Carolina in the final week. Their fans are probably irate.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
...which would be a disaster, imo. If they're still unable to flip the switch for Game 1 then it's hard to see them going from 0 to 100 in the next game. They may THINK they've done so, and only need to decide they're finally serious, but that could easily mean losing the first two at home.

Think in terms of the 2nd round sweep at the hands of the Bolts in 2011. They were overconfident, just like the year before when they lost to MTL. Better not start this series the same way.

What you described is exactly what happened last year. They were lucky not to go back to Long Island down 2-0. Hopefully this point will be addressed in the locker room.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
What you described is exactly what happened last year. They were lucky not to go back to Long Island down 2-0. Hopefully this point will be addressed,

Right. We've seen it too many times (first 2 games vs MTL went to OT, and series started 1-1), which is why I understand the skepticism about flipping the switch. But Trotz has managed to overcome nearly every bad habit so far, so we'll see.

I picked Caps in 6. I think they stumble a few times, whether early or late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad