Speculation: Roster Speculation, 2018 Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I'm fine with giving a 1 dimensional player a shot in a narrow role, but it's far from clear that he's got that 1 dimension working yet.

Reactions: sabresEH

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
That's bass-ackwards. Get him to engage, get him to be able to do things in his own zone that help gain puck possession. Tell him to not blow the zone early unless it's part of the structure of what the coach is doing. Get him to backcheck with a purpose to show he's willing to do what it takes for the team to win. And as his line starts to defend well, it will own the puck more... and the goal scoring will come.

Standing around waiting for someone else to get him the puck in a scoring area is exactly the opposite thing to have him do to get to the next level.

Don't quote me lol I was sarcastically responding to someone else's moronic idea to gift him time and tell him to solely focus on scoring.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
If he sinks he further diminishes his value league wide.

Call me old school but I have no interest in just throwing him a roster spot because of draft pedigree and "potential". This organization is disfunctionAL as is.
You don't gift him a spot -- certainly not to start next season. But at some point in the next year or two you need to stick him on the team for several dozen games to see what he can accomplish in the NHL, even if he doesn't check all the boxes on the merit list to completely warrant a call up. Now, if he checks none of the boxes, then forget it. But I doubt it's ever going to be black or white with Nylander as far as the perception of him deserving NHL playing time is concerned.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm 29 years old emojis...not for me. Read my following comments to see my stance instead of responding to the first thing I said. That would have eliminated any confusion.

I was typing up my response when you were having that exchange. Maybe indicate it sooner, right?

:D

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You don't gift him a spot -- certainly not to start next season. But at some point in the next year or two you need to stick him on the team for several dozen games to see what he can accomplish in the NHL, even if he doesn't check all the boxes on the merit list to completely warrant a call up. Now, if he checks none of the boxes, then forget it. But I doubt it's ever going to be black or white with Nylander as far as the perception of him deserving NHL playing time is concerned.

The kid's contract hasn't even started to run. They have a lot of room before he has to be given time.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
In his two callups at the end of the past 2 seasons he actually was not a liability defensively - he's a pretty big kid and he will get bigger and stronger. He just isn't a buzzsaw type player, he knows where to position himself and waits for a puck to work free near him or for a pass and then does his thing.

With size, maturity and confidence he will become more productive if he goes to Rochester but he's never going to light it up down there, but who knows maybe Taylor puts him with Asplund and they do mesh and put up lots of points.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I can’t believe people want to literally Grigorenko Nylander. Let the kid develop we don’t need to throw him to the sharks

I would love to trade him for an actually talented player like we got with ROR.

Nylander is Grigorenko. All tools, zero heart. Floaty type player that when finally presented with challenging opponents in his career- caved in to the competition and couldn’t overcome it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would love to trade him for an actually talented player like we got with ROR.

Nylander is Grigorenko. All tools, zero heart. Floaty type player that when finally presented with challenging opponents in his career- caved in to the competition and couldn’t overcome it.

Interesting take. Most 18 and 19 year olds don't excel in the AHL - hell, many 20 year olds don't excel in the AHL. We know he had a serious groin injury to start the year and he ended it productively on the scoresheet if not optically appealing. They have three more years on his ELC due to the slide, there is plenty of time to get work with him to get his game right.

His value is already damaged, the decision is whether to be patient and deal with him like a typical kid arriving in the minors as a 20-year old like almost every player and see if he can be turned into something. There is no rush here.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
The last thing the Sabres need is a luxury winger with "potential" that lacks heart/drive/compete. We need a team that can play NHL hockey first, then we can worry about giving a kid like Nylander the perfect conditions he seems to need to play productive and motivated hockey.

That being said, I'm pretty indifferent to the idea of moving him. His value probably isn't particularly high at the moment anyways. However I wouldn't bat an eyelash if he was a sweetener in a bigger deal that significantly improves the Sabres.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
If we want to give Nylander a look in the NHL, I want him with 2 high motor players. ERod, Mittelstadt, Asplund, O'Reilly, guys like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->