Roster Speculation '17-'18: Someone, Somewhere, In Summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Maybe it's JBo? :biglaugh: *Hides*

Kyrou or Thomas both seem like players Botterill should have interest in if they're looking at the prospect side of things. Walman's intriguing - I liked him at Providence, but the converted-forward-on-defense thing often makes me leery.
Can we convince jfb to come back if this happens?

Last edited:

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Big splash to me means a prospect that they aren’t going to rely on stepping up during the playoffs for, but instead want to go with chip on his shoulder never played in the playoffs and UFA at the end of the season Kane instead

As opposed to generic 1st rounder and unexciting prospect

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I know how this plays out.

People think a "big splash" means something bigger than the usual rental TDL deal.

And when Kane is moved, it is for a standard rental TDL return for a high scorer winger.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Jim Rutherford is close to considering a ‘major trade’ to shake up Penguins

Help could be on the way.

Rutherford said one of his biggest targets if he does make a move would be center depth.

The Penguins tried with Riley Sheahan, and he’s been a fine player. But he hasn’t given them three scoring lines — and forced the opposing team to make matchup decisions — the way Nick Bonino and Matt Cullen used to.

“We need more depth at our center ice position, to a point where we can get more production,” Rutherford said. “I’d like to see if we could get more balance, more production out of our forward lines. We’ve got some guys here who are capable of producing more. At this point, it hasn’t happened. That may be the area we look at.”

I wonder if he will see what Botts has to offer?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
We can't offer them Center depth...ROR is too expensive for what they are talking about. Sam can't play center (yet?). Girgs and larsson are trash.

Cullen and Bonino were roughly 0.5 pts/gp guys with the Pens.

They might view Reinhart as a guy that could produce at that level on their roster.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Cullen and Bonino were roughly 0.5 pts/gp guys with the Pens.

They might view Reinhart as a guy that could produce at that level on their roster.
Cullen and Bonino were experienced and sound defensively...Sam hasn't proven anything yet for a cup contender to trust him with a Center role. Doubt Pitts is very good candidate for Sam. Also what would want back for him that they would be willing to give up?

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Playing with Capfriendly GM mode today.

:sabres acquire RHD Jordan Schmaltz, LW Sammy Blais, 4th round pick in 18
:blues acquire LW Evander Kane (2 Million salary retained)

:sabres acquire LW Andrew Mangiaplane
:flames acquire LW Benoit Pouliot

:sabres acquire 2nd round pick
:pens acquire C Johan Larsson, 4th round pick MIN 18

:sabres acquire 3rd round pick
:cbj acquire LHD Josh Gorges and a 4th round pick STL 18

:sabres acquire G Jaroslav Halak and a 2nd round pick
:isles acquire G Robin Lehner

:sabres acquire G Petr Mrazek
:wings acquire G Jaroslav Halak and 2nd round pick NYI 18

Post Deadline

Blais/Mangiaplane/Smith-Eichel-Pominville
Girgensons-ROR-Okposo
Blais/Mangiaplane/Smith-Rodrigues-Reinhart
Wilson-Josefson-Fasching
X-Nolan

Scandella-Ristolainen
McCabe-Bogosian
Beaulieu-Schmaltz
X-Falk-Antipin

Mrazek
Johnson

Gives us lots of young depth for our wings with Blais/Mangiaplane/Smith/Nylander/Bailey/Baptiste/Fasching that are either in the AHL or getting call ups to see who takes those spots long term. Add some more draft picks in the first few roudns. Add a good young RHD that's near NHL ready. Get a good young goalie with lots of potential to fight for a starting spot with Ullmark for a decent 1a 1b tandem for the following year. Sets us up going into next offseason with some more cap space, young near NHL ready talent, and depth.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

Post Deadline

Girgensons-ROR-Okposo
Wilson-Josefson-Fasching
X-Nolan

Scandella-Ristolainen
McCabe-Bogosian
Beaulieu-Schmaltz
X-Falk-Antipin

Mrazek
Johnson

Gives us lots of young depth for our wings with Blais/Mangiaplane/Smith/Nylander/Bailey/Baptiste/Fasching that are either in the AHL or getting call ups to see who takes those spots long term. Add some more draft picks in the first few roudns. Add a good young RHD that's near NHL ready. Get a good young goalie with lots of potential to fight for a starting spot with Ullmark for a decent 1a 1b tandem for the following year. Sets us up going into next offseason with some more cap space, young near NHL ready talent, and depth.

I highlighted what I don't agree with. Trading Lehner for Halak and a second is fine, but to turn that into Mrazek? I cannot say that makes much sense. Also, the mix coming back for Kane is uninspiring. Schmaltz has not done anything to guarantee he's a fix.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
So a straight Lehner-for-Mrazek swap? Why does that make any sense?

These trades aren't so much a tear-down in preparation for rebuild as just shelling the roster with artillery.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe

Post Deadline

Girgensons-ROR-Okposo
Wilson-Josefson-Fasching
X-Nolan

Scandella-Ristolainen
McCabe-Bogosian
Beaulieu-Schmaltz
X-Falk-Antipin

Mrazek
Johnson

Bad for us...

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
You think all of those are bad or some specific? I am by no means a value expert for proposing trades but I think there are some good young targets on those lists.
The only ones I do is Lehner to Islanders and Larsson to Pens (but doubt Pens do that one..). For the other assets I wouldn't go for these trades.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Can McCabe fetch a mid round pick at this point?
Sam Reinhart - 1 point in last 10. Can we even get a late 1st round pick for him? People were trying to make it out as if Sam was the reason Jack was on PPG pace last year. It's so obvious now when Sam cant profit from Jack on his line and when the PP is struggling that he is a mediocre hockey player. I am sure I will get the usual suspects with dirt on me for saying that but it's the truth right now. He looks terrible this season, as in much worse than what I expected from him in the summer and I expected something like 50 points pace which is not that much to ask for for a former top3 pick. No amount of useless fancy corsi stats can bullshit anyone that doesn't wear the rose tinted glasses anymore. Considering that Nylander is also struggling per voices coming from Rochester .... our scouting team strikes yet again. It's emberassing at this point.

Reactions: Puppa2Miller
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad