Roster Speculation '17-'18: Someone, Somewhere, In Summertime

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Some posters will continue to refute it, but speed is absolutely an issue for this team right now.

I wonder if Botteril is interested in Athanasiou.

Or good defensemen.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Losing Girgensons for more than a few games is gonna hurt, one of the better forwards so far. His speed is going to really be missed. Who would be up next from Roch if he misses time?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Losing Girgensons for more than a few games is gonna hurt, one of the better forwards so far. His speed is going to really be missed. Who would be up next from Roch if he misses time?
I'd assume Griffith slots back in short term. If both Josefson and Girgensons are out for an appreciable amount of time, though, idk, maybe Baptiste, Smith, Fasching or Criscuolo from Rochester. Waiver wire might be a candidate too, though.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Some posters will continue to refute it, but speed is absolutely an issue for this team right now.

I wonder if Botteril is interested in Athanasiou.

Or good defensemen.

Idky anyone would refute that. There's only 4 players on the current active roster that are fast and everyone else isn't even average in fact they're probably all below average. Eichel, Kane,Girgensons, and Bailey. Girgs is injured now so technically 3. It wouldn't be as big of a problem if the rest of the roster had average speed but that might only be Pominville..everyone else is slow as molasses. 3 of our top 6 are some of the slowest skaters in the league. Whether or not how good of players they are that's a piss poor way to build a team...and then you have Moulson who is an anchor..and not in a good way. Please retire.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Idky anyone would refute that. There's only 4 players on the current active roster that are fast and everyone else isn't even average in fact they're probably all below average. Eichel, Kane,Girgensons, and Bailey. Girgs is injured now so technically 3. It wouldn't be as big of a problem if the rest of the roster had average speed but that might only be Pominville..everyone else is slow as molasses. 3 of our top 6 are some of the slowest skaters in the league. Whether or not how good of players they are that's a piss poor way to build a team...and then you have Moulson who is an anchor..and not in a good way. Please retire.
Holy Hyperbole Batman

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Holy Hyperbole Batman

Oh wow! I totally agree with the counter argument you just presented. Seriously anyone who thinks the Sabres are even an average speed team is drinking some homer kool-aid though with you its probably just Reinhart goggles.

ROR, Okposo, Reinhart, and Moulson are on another tier of slow. They also make up 3 of the current top 6 of the team. Sorry if the facts upset you.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I don't expect Botteril to make any snap decisions or major trades, but what defensemen around the league could break free for trade this season?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The speed thing is an issue but it's self-correcting. No need to make any moves because the team is slow now. Botterill knows this too. He was part of the team in Pittsburgh that increased team speed by bringing up Rust and Sheary, and made a smaller trade for Hagelin. There's no need for a huge move because the players who can help are already in the organization.

Bailey is already up. Baptiste is fast. Nylander has wheels. Guhle might be the best skater in the organization after Eichel. And Mittelstadt and Asplund are on the way. You add them to Eichel, Reinhart, Okposo, and ROR, and you get a fast team. Two years from now:

Girgensons - Eichel - Nylander
Asplund - ROR - Okposo
Mittelstadt - Reinhart - Bailey
Fasching - Larsson - Baptiste

That's a fast line-up.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Wasn't Tennyson signed for Rochester. He's been a tire fire out there. Maybe it's time to give Antipin another shot. They both play the right side, correct?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Freidman actually says there is no interest from the Sabres at this time and that something like this would only likely start to manifest if the team's terrible play continues for half the season.

The Freidman report sounded more to me that other GMs were hoping to fleece Botts and not that Botts was shopping Reinhart.

That would say to me that Reinhart is still viewed as a talented young player around the league and not that he is viewed as a bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad