Roster for the U18 Team Canada squad in Belarus

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Tourney starts in April and I would expect Hockey Canada to name the final roster later this week or early next.

My early selections are;

GOAL

Devan Dubnyk - Kamloops Blazers
Justin Pogge - Prince George Cougars
Dan LaCosta - Owen Sound Attack(if they are eliminated by Guelph)

DEFENSE

Michael Funk - Portland Winter Hawks
Mitch Maunu - Windsor Spitfires
Wes O'Neill - Notre Dame Fighting Irish

FORWARDS

Eric Hunter - Prince George Cougars
Wacey Rabbit - Saskatoon Blades
Joe Barnes - Saskatoon Blades
John Lammers - Lethbridge Hurricanes
Kris Versteeg - Lethbridge Hurricanes
Evan McGrath - Kitchener Rangers
Jean-Michel Rizk - Saginaw Spirit
Liam Reddox - Peterborough Petes
Ryan Garlock - Windsor Spitfires
Wojtek Wolski - Brampton Battalion(if they are eliminated by Ottawa)
Peter Tsimilkalis - Ottawa 67's(if they are eliminated by Brampton)
Bryan Bickell - Ottawa 67's(if they are eliminated by Brampton)
Alex Bourret - Lewiston Maineacs(if they are eliminated by Rouyn-Noranda)
Brent Aubin - Rouyn-Noranda Huskies(if they are eliminated by Lewiston)
Olivier Latendresse - Val-d'Or Foreurs

Puckz

Jun 22, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Would maybe have to consider Slade from Regina now that they are eliminated... Some defencemen since it looked thin there, why not Green from Saskatoon, and Schultz, Rogers and Carson if Calgary's eliminated? Gordichuk from Kamloops perhaps, although not too big on him... Those are just a few from the Dub I saw omitted for consideration...

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
I don't think it's going to happen, but if the Mississauga Ice Dogs are eliminated by the Oshawa Generals, Mississauga's goalie David Shantz should be added to the roster. He has been outstanding all season for the Ice Dogs and has been even better during the playoffs. He leads all OHL goalies in GAA and save percentage during the playoffs and has two shutouts in Mississauga's three playoff wins.

Hitman*

I'd say its a safe bet that Andy Rogers will be on the team if the Hitmen get eliminated. He was on the team in autumn and now there are less players to choose from.

Here's the roster that played at the Junior World Cup in the fall. I noted which players are for sure available to play at the U18s. Others could still play depending if their team gets eliminated from the second round really early.

Devan Dubnyk - available
Julien Ellis-Plante

Cam Barker
Brett Festerling
Mark Fistric
Michael Funk - available
Wes O'Neill - available
Andy Rogers - available if Red Deer wins
David Schulz - available

Michael Blunden
Alex Bourret - available
Frederik Cabana - available
Kyle Chipchura - available
Blake Comeau
Sidney Crosby
Ryan Garlock - available
Eric Hunter - available
John Lammers - available
Evan McGrath - available
Wacey Rabbit - available
Jean-Michel Rizk - available
Wojtek Wolski

Last edited:

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
La-La-Laprise said:
Rim will be bounced in rd 2, for lack of defense

:)

Nope, Lavallee will get them to round 3 where they'll be bounced by Cape Breton for lack of defence :)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
RyanM said:
Nope, Lavallee will get them to round 3 where they'll be bounced by Cape Breton for lack of defence :)

Are you talking about Jordan Lavallee? He's an American, correct? How has he looked?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
balddog66 said:
Wes Cunningham and Kevin Baker from Owen Sound (if elimenated...) played for team Ontario...

I believe those two guys are 1987's and no one from that year will be invited. This tournament is for 1986 born and Canada will have enough to select from to fill a roster in the 1986 category. Crosby was an exception last summer, for obvious reasons.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Doomsday Device said:
This tournament is only for those born January 1, 1986 or younger. So players like Mike Green, Jeff Schultz, and Brett Carson aren't eligible.

Actually Schultz is eligible, along with his teammate from Calgary, Andy Rogers. Both guys will have a good shot at being named to the squad.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
ducksflytogether said:
Slade should make the team, as Regina's eliminated. He's a great goalie, and his only downside is his aggressiveness(then again, it can cost the team at times).

Probably not....I guess what he did in the WHL playoffs and his subsequent 4 game playoff suspension, will cost him a chance at Team Canada. With guys like Dubnyk, Pogge, possibly Ellis, Shantz and LaCosta available, Team Canada doesn't NEED him.

He does look like a very good player/prospect though.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Doomsday Device said:
You're right, for some reason I read his birthyear as 1982, which now that I think about it makes no sense at all.

Kyle Chipchura and his Prince Albert Raiders were eliminated tonight by the Brandon Wheat Kings and you can be assured he will be named to the squad.

Canada didn't do very well at the U18 World Cup last summer and not having all their 86 born players available may hurt them, but then agains it may not? The 86 year is definitely not as strong as the 1985 or 1987 born years.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
Yes he is. Question is are vancouver still in the playoffs? And Canada doesnt usually take 16 year olds for the U18 team.

Gilbert Brule and the Vancouver Giants have advanced to the 2nd round of the WHL playoffs and therefore, he will not in any way, shape or form be invited to play at this U18 tourney in Belarus.

Brule could very well be better than most players selected for Canada at this tourney, but he is a 1987 born and will get his chance this summer with the rest of the other 1987 born players(minus Crosby) at the U18 World Cup in August. Now that team, even without Crosby, could be good!

HabLover said:
Kyle Chipchura and his Prince Albert Raiders were eliminated tonight by the Brandon Wheat Kings and you can be assured he will be named to the squad.

Canada didn't do very well at the U18 World Cup last summer and not having all their 86 born players available may hurt them, but then agains it may not? The 86 year is definitely not as strong as the 1985 or 1987 born years.

I agree that this team could have some trouble but its better off in terms of returning players who were at the Junior World Cup. There are at least 12 guys available who played on that team in the fall, which is more than either of the last 2 years.

It seems to me that the biggest problem could be a lack of top-end scoring, especially if Wolski can't play. The next best scorers are probably Chipchura and McGrath and they're fairly inconsistent. Last year's squad had 9 first rounders, and had a lot of scorers. This year's team might have to rely more on grit and defense to do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->