Roster for Team Canada at the U18 IIHF World Championship

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
HabLover said:
Well, as far as this roster goes, obviously it is not the strongest possible group of players Canada could or would send. With guys like Toews, Hamill, Staal, Sheppard, Alzner, Irving and even a guy like Claude Giroux may have been included, all missing they are obviously missing some key ingredients.

This team does have key guys at all positions and they may have enough to make it to the medal games? Although it would be nice to have Iriving too, Bernier will be a big part of the Team Canada and should be the starter. On defence, they have 4 guys back from last year's Gold medal winning team at the Junior World Cup. I am not sure about Bartley being included, but Corrente could be a nice addition and Pyett and Shutron will provide the offence from the backend. Up front they have enough offensive talent with guys like Maxwell, McDonough, Emmerton and then two guys who I am interested in seeing are Bouchard and Carpentier. They both put up pretty good numbers as 17 yr olds in the Q this year, but I have heard Bouchard is not a very good skater and I have not ever heard of Carpentier? Another interesting player will be John Tavares. It is obvious he has immense talent, but will he be able to score at his usual pace against the best 18 yr old players in the world? All the players in this tournament are basically 2 yrs older than Tavares. Brandon Sutter in my mind will be the 13th forward for this tourney.
Canada played its first exhibition game (2:2) today against Sweden. Shawn Matthias and Corey Emmerton scored for Canada. Bernier started in goal and made 38 saves. Sweden outshoot Canada 40 to 31.

According to swehockey.se the lines were as following:

Tavares - Maxwell - Carpentier
Emmerton - McDonough - Bouchard
Beleskey - Matthias - Chaput
Sutter - Azevedo - McGinn
Nelson

Shutron - Bartley
Pyett - Wishart
Corrente - Ellerby
Schira

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
steblick said:
I prefer Armstrong but goalies are very very unpredictable. Lazaruk nonetheless seems a reasonable choice to me.

Looks like I was right, Reimer was indeed selected to play with Bernier for Canada before his injury - ahead of Lazaruk and Armstrong. I had heard some people are pretty high on Reimer.

Courtesy Interlake Spectator (the hometown paper where Reimer is from).

Another major personal disappointment for Reimer was a late-season broken hand that prevented him from playing for Canada’s under 18 team at the April 12-22 World Championship in Sweden.
“I was honoured to be selected and was looking forward to travelling overseas and wearing my country’s jersey,†says the goalie who won’t be fully recovered from his injury until the end of April.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad