Line Combos: Roster Discussions

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
I remember one particular game against Pittsburgh in Feb 2017, the power play unit was:

Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers
Morrissey, Trouba

For almost 2 minutes, they had Pittsburgh on the ropes

I wish Maurice and the coaching staff would put this unit out more after seeing these young bucks in action

I know we have plenty of personnel that can do the job, but man, these kids were good on that particular power play

Once healthy, let’s try this unit again
Ehh, we should probably keep doing what's gotten us the 2nd best PP in the league. Wheeler, Stastny and Buff have all been doing their parts exceptionally well, Laine leads the league in PP goals, Wheeler was 2nd in PP points last time I checked.

Reactions: Ducky10

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Just one more question: Is Lowry returning this weekend already? They said early march.
He was still in a non-contact jersey today, so there's no way. He'll probably be back about a week after he resumes full contact practices. Trouba's resumed contact in practice so he's closer at least.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
He was still in a non-contact jersey today, so there's no way. He'll probably be back about a week after he resumes full contact practices. Trouba's resumed contact in practice so he's closer at least.
Oh mann, sorry to hear about that dirt right there and thanks for the quick answer. That was a needed one. I treally like Lowry, he dat dude for real mayne. Still doing that dirt on the dirty third line. I would like for him to back as soon as possible. Making your rear ends better. Even better than this time. I hope Lowry is that dude and getting back next week for certainly.

Reactions: lanky

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Ehh, we should probably keep doing what's gotten us the 2nd best PP in the league. Wheeler, Stastny and Buff have all been doing their parts exceptionally well, Laine leads the league in PP goals, Wheeler was 2nd in PP points last time I checked.

I understand everyone has a role to fill and it’s been great

However, for that particular power play, those young guns could do no wrong

Just saying

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
No kidding, what about the Jets PP says "let's change this up".

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
No kidding, what about the Jets PP says "let's change this up".

When we are down by goals like today, this should be the minimum requirement to run Laine on the 2nd PP as well. They need to have that option available. If the 1st PP requires a lot of stamina, they can always not do that. But if everything allows it, logic dictates we have the superweapon out for as long as possible.

If Laine makes a PP better just by standing there, why not have him standing there?

Last edited:

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Gotta say I'm not feeling the mojo currently in the lineup. Hopefully our injured reinforcements will sort it out, but if they don't, I don't think we should be afraid to touch the Stas line. We can't be a one-line team. Doesn't matter what the line is. It's just not gonna be enough to win it all.

I know Chef right now is injured but CSW is really not wowing me anymore in the slightest. We could try the original ESL, and maybe try a Stas-Wheeler second line, and move Little to third.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Gotta say I'm not feeling the mojo currently in the lineup. Hopefully our injured reinforcements will sort it out, but if they don't, I don't think we should be afraid to touch the Stas line. We can't be a one-line team. Doesn't matter what the line is. It's just not gonna be enough to win it all.

I know Chef right now is injured but CSW is really not wowing me anymore in the slightest. We could try the original ESL, and maybe try a Stas-Wheeler second line, and move Little to third.

I have to say despite really hating to touch the Stastny line, it might be necessary. I agree CSW hasn't looked that great for a long time. I'd still give them a shot first once Scheifele comes back, but if it's not working then might have to bring out the blender. The way Laine and Ehlers have played lately, original ESL might be pretty good and help Scheif get back in the game. Stastny w/ Wheeler could be good.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Excluding ESL, our entire roster has scored three goals in the six games we have played in March.

So... a line change, anyone?

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Excluding ESL, our entire roster has scored three goals in the six games we have played in March.

So... line change, anyone?

As long as Laine is rolling you won’t get the same level of passion on this topic. The only changes I am looking for is getting half our roster back from sick bay, the rest will take care of itself.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Little to the third-fourth line and give Copp shot at his place. Little doesn't generate offense so there is absolutely no reason to keep him at second line because he consistently loses almost every single match up at offense. He is too slow, doesn't know how to move the puck with one touch and that's not good at all.

Reactions: Ippenator

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

So... a line change, anyone?

Might be needed but I'm not sure what would be the way to go about it with the current roster. Are you just looking to stir the pot or do you actually have some ideas what you'd like to see?

On a quick thought maybe the best I can come up with is put Ehlers - Copp - Laine back together and hope Laine and Ehlers good form of late holds up and that line can be played legit 2nd line minutes. They did look good in the games they played together and Laine's hot streak started with that line still together. Connor - Stastny - Wheeler first line taking the hardest matchups. For bottom six, maybe play Little w/ Tanev and Armia in a shutdown role and hope Perrault and Roslo can get some offence going in the 4th line against easy matchups.

Would hate to break up the Stastny line, but I honestly think something along the lines what I described above could work pretty well. But in that scenario, you absolutely need to give Ehlers and Laine good minutes still, they are finally playing great hockey and to mess that up and relegate them for a low minutes 3rd line role would be absolutely the worst way to handle them. If you want, at home play them against easier matchups, but don't limit their icetime to only that, give them more shifts.

Then again, missing Scheifele, Lowry, Trouba, Enström, I'm not sure they could've done much better than they have lately with any line combos, so it might be a case of don't mess with it because they are still getting the job done, sort of. The injury situation is just brutal right now.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Might be needed but I'm not sure what would be the way to go about it with the current roster. Are you just looking to stir the pot or do you actually have some ideas what you'd like to see?

On a quick thought maybe the best I can come up with is put Ehlers - Copp - Laine back together and hope Laine and Ehlers good form of late holds up and that line can be played legit 2nd line minutes. They did look good in the games they played together and Laine's hot streak started with that line still together. Connor - Stastny - Wheeler first line taking the hardest matchups. For bottom six, maybe play Little w/ Tanev and Armia in a shutdown role and hope Perrault and Roslo can get some offence going in the 4th line against easy matchups.

Would hate to break up the Stastny line, but I honestly think something along the lines what I described above could work pretty well. But in that scenario, you absolutely need to give Ehlers and Laine good minutes still, they are finally playing great hockey and to mess that up and relegate them for a low minutes 3rd line role would be absolutely the worst way to handle them. If you want, at home play them against easier matchups, but don't limit their icetime to only that, give them more shifts.

Then again, missing Scheifele, Lowry, Trouba, Enström, I'm not sure they could've done much better than they have lately with any line combos, so it might be a case of don't mess with it because they are still getting the job done, sort of. The injury situation is just brutal right now.
With Scheifele, we were not looking too sharp either, so yes, I'd say something needs to be done.

My initial suggestion would be to try Perreault and Roslovic with Scheifele once he comes back. That line could benefit from a shooter. CLW should be a decent line too, and ESL would not need to be touched (provided that PSR worked). If that does not work, then it is time to tear down ESL and try something new. Having one line working like a charm is great, but having the other three contributing f*** all is not an option.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
I'm pretty sure that Mo has seen enough. Roslovic got demoted in the end of the third period last night. Armia will play with Matty and Cop tonight.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
As long as Laine is rolling you won’t get the same level of passion on this topic. The only changes I am looking for is getting half our roster back from sick bay, the rest will take care of itself.

You can go

CONNOR WHEELER LAINE
EHLERS STASTNY roslovic
Perrault LITTLE ARMIA
Dano Copp Tanev

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

The problem is that when Laine is rolling we can win games, pretty much with his goals alone. The only reason I wouldn't want to touch that line is because you can't count on any other current players to score like he is now, even with some help. I would just hate to see ALL of our lines scoreless.

It's a crappy situation until we get some bodies back.

Reactions: Ippenator

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
With Scheifele, we were not looking too sharp either, so yes, I'd say something needs to be done.

My initial suggestion would be to try Perreault and Roslovic with Scheifele once he comes back. That line could benefit from a shooter. CLW should be a decent line too, and ESL would not need to be touched (provided that PSR worked). If that does not work, then it is time to tear down ESL and try something new. Having one line working like a charm is great, but having the other three contributing **** all is not an option.

Yeah agreed. The good thing is with a healthy Scheifele there are at least a lot of options and potentially great lines. Though knowing Maurice he'll probably come up with some bizarre combos :P I predict CSW will be back together at least at first though. If they are and regain their best form, that'd be great, but to be honest I'm not expecting that to happen. It seems the last time that line looked really good was back in December or something.

What you suggested seems like it could be good. Also Perrault- Scheifele-Laine was awesome last season and Ehlers-Stastny-Wheeler looks like a potentially great line as well, so wouldn't mind trying those, or even just swapping the two S between CSW & ESL. Not sure where either option leaves the Little line though, P-L-R hasn't looked that great lately and I'm not sure substituting Roslo with Connor or anyone else for that matter would help unless Perrault and Little start playing better. In that sense going with CLW or something might be better and potentially lead to 3 very good scoring lines.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
I think they are forced to shuffle lines before playoffs if things go like this. You can’t play with one line in playoffs.

Though they are probably shuffling in home games. It would give the match up edge.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
If they fall short tonight I would suggest moving Laine and Ehlers away from each other. Our three best shooting wingers are Laine , Ehlers (tied with Stamkos and Terasenko!) and Connor. Why not distribute them across the top 9 and see if that bumps up scoring?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I think they are forced to shuffle lines before playoffs if things go like this. You can’t play with one line in playoffs.

Though they are probably shuffling in home games. It would give the match up edge.
You think some line shuffling might happen when Scheifele and Lowry come back?

They won't be playing with the current lines once those two return , save probably ESL.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Little to the third-fourth line and give Copp shot at his place. Little doesn't generate offense so there is absolutely no reason to keep him at second line because he consistently loses almost every single match up at offense. He is too slow, doesn't know how to move the puck with one touch and that's not good at all.

That's a joke right? Copp doesn't hold a candle to Little.

View media item 1585

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
That's a joke right? Copp doesn't hold a candle to Little.

View media item 1585
Only real production matters in the end. These kind of graphs mean absolutely nothing compared to that. I dont care for you explaining it how it’s the best way to see how good each player really is, as that is complete bogus and mumbojumbo. There are so much differences in shooting quality and all other kind of variables that the hockey scientists dont even have a clue of how to measure them.

So the only thing that matters in the end is which players and which lines score the goals and if their team wins with their scoring. Everything else is meaningless, until they change the rules to that, that the team with the best advanced stats wins the game.

And Copp’s and Little’s production is only then comparable when they have both played half of the season with Laine and Ehlers with similar amount of minutes and power play time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad