Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I hate comparisons for Dahlin, but I’d say his style will translate to the ilk of someone like Leetch. He’s much better defensively than Karlsson was at his age

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
His ceiling is to be clearly the best D-man in the NHL.

Yeah, he is a McD talent on the blueline. How will that sort out? Exactly how good can he become?

First of all, I think a lot of that depends on his environment, if he can stay healthy etc (imagine if Karlsson got Torts as a D who only let him make plays from the blueline and in?).

Second of all, I think there is a bit of X factor. Like how does the speed and hands he have translate into goals and assists in the NHL? Like many point out. But many translate that into start looking at like Svechnikov, for me it’s still not even close. Dahlin is only 17 y/o and a heck of a D already. So good in all areas of the game really. Think he will become an amazing player.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I have to ask. I know Dahlin is the unquestioned 1. My question is what is his ceiling? We talking EK, Hedman or more McD. Meaning an undeniably top 5 dman or more top 20
Hedman with a little more Karlsson

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I wonder how much value moving Bobby Ryan's contract has to Ottawa. Could we potentially take on his contract and get their 1st round pick? Would we have to swap one of the late 1sts we have? Something like:

Ryan+Ott 1st for Beleskey+TB 1st.

I was thinking about this last night. It's really a matter of whether Melnyk is THAT pathetic. I think he is. I make that deal all dauy, everyday.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I was thinking about this last night. It's really a matter of whether Melnyk is THAT pathetic. I think he is. I make that deal all dauy, everyday.
It's really interesting to think about. I mean, they were trying so hard to attach him to their best asset, the best defenseman in the league. If their 1st round pick isn't in the top-3 or so, I can't see why they wouldn't try to use that pick to offload that contract, especially if they are also getting back a 1st even if it is late. But like you said, it's all dependent on how committed Melnyk is to removing that contract off the books.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
It depends how quickly new prospects develop @Rangers in 7 and how well G. Clarke hit in the draft - sometimes we see players are not NHL ready until they are 21-22 years old based on physical requirements. And most who are drafted are 18-19 years old. So those who are drafted in 2017-2018 are in their prime in 5-6 years - so it`s not too far from the truth if Jeff going full rebuild here.
with Tavares, Karlsson and Kovalchuk available either next season or the season after the rangers most likely will sign one of them.....especially if they are able to get staal's contract off the books

Reactions: Ori

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I wonder how much value moving Bobby Ryan's contract has to Ottawa. Could we potentially take on his contract and get their 1st round pick? Would we have to swap one of the late 1sts we have? Something like:

I would love that to happen.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Double post

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We start to have a great cap. this summer so it will be exciting nonetheless what is going to happen. A big name like Erik Karlsson or Tavares could end up signing with us in the summer window.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

If Ottawa is awarded, say the #5-8 pick, I wouldn't surprised to see them give that to Colorado. It's either this year or next and if next year they don't have Karlsson and possibly move Duchene at some point they will be VERY bad

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Here's my very rough lineup for next year:

JVR (who I still maintain wants to be a Ranger as badly as Shattenkirk did)/Kovalchuk - Zibanejad - Zucc
Kreider - Namestnikov - Buchnevich
Vesey - Spooner - Chytil/Lettieri
Nieves-Andersson/Howden-Fast

Skjei-Shattenkirk
Gilmour-Dahlin
Bigras/Hajek-DeAngelo/Pionk
O'Gara/Sproul

Lundqvist
Georgiev

Get rid of Staal, Smith and Beleskey. Trade Hayes

I like it!

Last edited:

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
You could be right, I hope Gorton really looks into it. I know that Ryan contract is hellacious, but imagine being able to have 2 top 5 picks potentially?

Just to be clear, this trade would happen after the lottery, not even the Melnyk-Dorion combination would risk losing Dahlin :D

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
We can be competing again in 2019-2020 if all goes right, I think we should throw money at Tavares to see if he's in any way interested. I doubt he comes to us but its worth a try. I would rather throw money at JT than Kovalchuk. We will be weak on defense if we don't pursue a big fish but I would rather play the kids and let Skjei earn that contract we are about to give him, rather than pay Carlson big bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->