Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by Gardner McKay, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Beacon

Beacon Embrace the tank

And yet, not one of the players I wrote off came back to bite me. If anything, every mistake I made was due to a refusal to write someone off, sticking by the hope that McIlrath, Hrivik or Graves can make it.

If anything, I'm far more optimistic than I should be. Go look at my old comments in prospect threads or prospect polls. The issue is that fans of all teams always assume that every prospect hits his most hyped up ceiling. Someone who will one day will become a second liner is viewed as an incredible blue chipper and if another team asks for him in a trade, the whole forum has a heart attack. Anyone showing any two-way game at all (e.g., Fast) is viewed as a possible top-6F. Crappy prospects who are barely average in college and who won't sniff the NHL are viewed as likely bottom-6 guys.

No criticism of a prospect is allowed, even saying that it will take a kid a little time to catch up. I always stuck by the idea that Kreider was our #1 prospect (before he made it), but I received incredible hate during the lockout for saying Kreider - based on watching him every single game in Hartford - isn't yet NHL-ready. He scored 5 goals in a sheltered role in the playoffs, so clearly I was saying crazy things just to troll everyone because everyone knew he'll immediately be on the first or second line. Because even suggesting that a kid may not be immediately ready = trolling.

Look at what I wrote about Lindgren in the Minor Leagues thread. I like him. I like him alot. I just don't think he's an NHL defenseman today.

Gnarpsviljan, I Eat Crow and Phoicon like this.
  2. RangerBoy

RangerBoy TRUST THE PROCESS

Home Page:
    Grabner could be an AV system player. He has sucked everywhere except one season with the Islanders and nearly two years with the Rangers.

DutchShamrock likes this.
  3. Ola

Ola Registered User

Lawyer
    AV gave Grabner a ton of D zone starts, and then had his line execute plenty of set transition plays using Grabs speed.

Still a little surprised he isn't doing better elsewhere. He is a talented hockey player.

belford222 and TheTakedown like this.
  4. wafflepadsave

wafflepadsave Registered User

Wow, with Anaheim and the kings falling apart, they might come calling for secondary scoring (Zuccarello).

TheTakedown likes this.
  5. Nopuckluck

Nopuckluck Registered User

Zucc (I really don’t want to see him gone) plus one of our firsts this year for one of Anaheim’s young D (Montour, Manson)

6. Edge

Edge Kris King's Ghost

I would definitely consider the Ducks a potential landing spot for Zucc, should the Rangers decide to go that route.

7. NYR Viper

NYR Viper Registered User

Engineer
    If anything, this year with the injury to Fowler has exposed their lack of speed and transition on the back-end. I am doubtful they would move either of those guys.

8. RangerBoy

Home Page:
    Arthur Staple

A detailed breakdown of the Islanders' unrestricted free...

TheTakedown likes this.
  9. NYR Viper

Engineer
    Didn't we hear the same thing about Stamkos though? He ended up getting $8.5m. DO people really believe Tavares gets $4m more per yer than Stamkos? I think he gets in the $9-9.5m per season range and I am thinking it's Montreal or SJ

TheTakedown likes this.
  10. Mac n Gs

Mac n Gs Gorton plz

Florida income tax plays a HUGE factor there.

11. I Eat Crow

I Eat Crow Fear The Mullet Sponsor

Honestly, I trust your evaluation of our prospects the most. A lot of us get over optimistic about our prospects (myself included), but I always look forward to reading your analysis. Keep posting :cheers:

I agree with you on Lindgren, by the way. I think he's at least 1.5 years away from an NHL cup of coffee, never mind a full time spot.

Beacon and TheTakedown like this.
  12. NYR Viper

Engineer
    This is a good point, but do people really think he will get that much more?

13. I Eat Crow

TheTakedown likes this.
  14. I Eat Crow

15. RangerBoy

Home Page:
    Yes. Stamkos took less to stay in Tampa. He would have gotten $11M-$12M to leave Tampa.

[​IMG]

Tax tricks: How an $8.5M Lightning contract keeping Steven Stamkos in Tampa is better than $10.5M to leave

kovazub94 and Mac n Gs like this.
  16. Mac n Gs

Mac n Gs Gorton plz

I mean in NY it’s like 8.8% income tax vs 0 in Florida. Compare your own salary to what it would be without an income tax, and you tell me :laugh:

17. RangerBoy

Home Page:
    There was speculation last summer about Tavares and Tampa. He likes Tampa. After the trade deadline,Arthur Staple discussed the various trades made and pointed out the Rangers did the Islanders a favor with that trade and TB might have taken themselves out of the Tavares situation after adding McDonagh and Miller.

18. Vinny DeAngelo

Vinny DeAngelo Jimmy Easy to defend

college student
    Offensively Grabner is very much a one trick pony. AVs system had him doing that trick every shift

19. wafflepadsave

wafflepadsave Registered User

Maybe a couple of guys but they they kept winning when we were begging them to lose. This was a once in a lifetime chance to get elite talent.

20. NYR Viper

Engineer
    What Jeff Gorton said on the radio Monday about AV, Lundqvist and more

I am glad Gorton will look to address the lack of emotion and physicality this team has

belford222 likes this.
  21. silverfish

silverfish Not a GM

22. Off Sides

Off Sides Registered User

I agree with the UFA stuff, always have.

My thoughts are more with what type of team are they building and if that can be compared to any winner of the Cup since the salary cap. I see Boston as that similarity, not this years team, the one who won it. However that is one team, one year, where as the rest the Cup winning teams since the cap all had very early picks, some multiple times.

So yes there is more than one way to build a Cup winner, but since the salary cap any type of build which did not include early picks has done so once, and even then I am not including Seguin.

If Vegas wins the Cup, or some other team who did not pick very early in the draft wins it this year, I'd be more swayed by the argument that there are really multiple ways to build a Cup winner under a salary cap, but for now, to me at least it kind of looks like that Boston Cup winning team was more so an outlier where as all the other winners sort of bottomed out for a couple years, used their early picks, and used them as the foundation to build a Cup team around.

Which is why I am asking what are the Rangers trying to build for next season? Why they should not be selling more than they already have? If they never reach the bottom of the bell curve I just find it unlikely they ever reach the pinnacle of it either. (I understand that is a delicate thing, to not be stuck at the bottom of the curve either, so I understand the reluctance but I fear all the ended up doing so far sets them on a path to eventually be good but not good enough to Win a Cup)

I think they need to sell more, even if that is players that could make them competitive next year, use the Vegas build in that scenario, sell anything that can get them more lottery tickets and back fill that with stuff that is similar to what Vegas had to choose from.

wafflepadsave likes this.
  23. NYR Viper

Engineer
    I'm not sure why it has to be a binary decision

belford222 and DutchShamrock like this.
  24. jas

jas Unsatisfied

25. Mac n Gs

Mac n Gs Gorton plz

Volume shooters, baby. That being said, I don’t think Gorton means grit like Roussel. I think he means that he wants his teams to show up and skate whistle-to-whistle. That can be coached, and it doesn’t require a specific type of player.

silverfish likes this.