Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Karlsson is better than Tavares.

If this team is going to dump 10+ mill into one player, I'd rather it be for the guy who is the best D in the league.

Moot point though as Tavares isn't coming here and EK likely ends up elsewhere unless he actually makes it to free agency, then all bets are off.
Yes, but think of the joy we would have once he signs with the Rangers, getting to listen to our Orange & Blue brothers and sisters telling us how overrated Tavares is.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
There are a lot of moving parts that could lead towards a Ranger-Flame deal. I’ve heard Fox described very glowingly by scouts. Calgary’s 5 veteran defensemen are all locked in for at least two more years at less than attractive salaries. Other kids coming on their back line. And did I mention how badly they need secondary scoring (cough...Zucc) And then there’s Bennett who desperately needs a change of scenery. Hmmm...

Fox is a top 40 player not in the NHL right now. So he's definitely an interesting piece. I'm not sold on Bennet but that package of Fox and Bennet would be outstanding for Zuccy.

Bennet is in that Names, Spooner mold of player. I don't think you can win with these types of guys but they're good individual talents when insulted. Fox would be the gem.

I wouldn't be surprised of a Zucc deal at the draft. I'm not fond of seeing Millsy in Tampa but the change was needed... Moving Zucc would go a long way in changing the locker room as well.

Not that he's bad influence, quite the contrary. But it would remove all remants of the old chummy core. Clear up space, get assets.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Metro fans will riot if we get another free asset.
we should be rioting after teams like edmonton and calgary have basically handed our two rivals an mvp candidate whos carried his team on his back and the other giving a possibly lottery pick away in an amazing top 3 draft. Freaking idiots.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The super young D Carolina might not be too enamored with is Hayden Fleury, but he might actually just be bad at hockey.

The general consensus is they're gonna move on from Faulk as the bloom is off his rose a bit and can garner the most in return. I'd imagine they'd look for a real top 6, if not top line forward for him, and not just one with 1 year who's a question mark to sign long term.

They're still "building" though, they're not really close the POs. So idk what Zucc does for them really.

They want a center. The biggest issue with Faulk is that he's essentially a half a season player. Not applying the same effort for the full 82.

But the return for him is a top 6 player which the Rangers can't afford to do.

What I'd like to see if cap space cleared for currency in a Zucc deal. Sign a bunch of UFAs to 2-3 year deals and/or JVR to a longer deal.

I'd only keep 2 of Hayes/Vesey/Spooner/Names.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Kreider Chytil Zib
Names Andersson Buch
Nash Howden Wahlstrom
Vesey Stajan Fast

Skjei Karlsson
Hajek Trouba
Lindgren Shattenkirk

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I'd personally rather have Karlsson than Tavares. I think, despite the ankle injury, Karlsson will continue to play at a high-level longer than Tavares, he's a better player overall, and he just helps push the puck ice consistently even on garbage teams like Ottawa, it's tremendous. I have some concerns about Tavares as well. I question whether Tavares would even consider signing here but that's another discussion altogether.

Reactions: TheTakedown

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'd personally rather have Karlsson than Tavares. I think, despite the ankle injury, Karlsson will continue to play at a high-level longer than Tavares, he's a better player overall, and he just helps push the puck ice consistently even on garbage teams like Ottawa, it's tremendous. I have some concerns about Tavares as well. I question whether Tavares would even consider signing here but that's another discussion altogether.

Agree with all of this.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
If we pursue Karlsson, we should wait a year when he is a free agent. We get another year to judge his game, he won’t cost any assets and the team will be 1 year further into its retool.
What if another teams going to pursue him but only trade for him if they’re assured they can lock him up long-term? Depending on the cost I’d be willing to pay, if the alternative is another team getting him and not having a shot at him via free agency

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
There are a lot of moving parts that could lead towards a Ranger-Flame deal. I’ve heard Fox described very glowingly by scouts. Calgary’s 5 veteran defensemen are all locked in for at least two more years at less than attractive salaries. Other kids coming on their back line. And did I mention how badly they need secondary scoring (cough...Zucc) And then there’s Bennett who desperately needs a change of scenery. Hmmm...
Hence my proposal

Fox, bennett, 2nd for zucc and a late 1st

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
What if another teams going to pursue him but only trade for him if they’re assured they can lock him up long-term? Depending on the cost I’d be willing to pay, if the alternative is another team getting him and not having a shot at him via free agency
I see your point. The team gambles either way. If they trade now for him they will lose assests(Ottawa will want a kings ransome for him) and the Rangers will have to commit to a large long term deal.
If you wait you risk him signing with the team he is traded to.
Me, I would take a chance and wait.
What Gorton is willing or is able to do is anyone’s guess.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Maybe you should do some research before posting, or do people just post without checking anything?

Winnipeg was de facto after Derrick Brassard this deadline, but Vegas blocked them. So Winnipeg turned to rental Paul Statsny. Can they afford to resign Statsny this summer, who knows? +35 contract. If not they have an opening at center. They have reportedly been after Spooner in the past.

It’s perfectly possible that Spooners next RFA contract scares them off but it’s ridiculous to claim that the team that was the most desperate team in the league in the hunt to acquire a center one month ago has no need for a center...

And yes, you can assume that I consider the other team when making a proposal. Very much so of course. With that said — will this trade happen? There are like what 3-5 hockey trades in a NHL season, extremely little get done. There are a ton of things to consider, and it’s perfectly possible that Chevy wouldn’t like that offer at all. Probably likely due to Spooners RFA contract.

But there is a reason for why Snow de facto turned down a Hamonic for Trouba deal straight up two years ago. Trouba is going to cost you a ton of money. I think 7-8m is worth it for us, think it makes a ton of sense to get a core blueline in place before turning to the forwards who can be a few years younger. But look at what Boston got for Hamilton. Look at Snow turning down Trouba for Hamonic, the contract situation of a player matters a lot.

Jack Roslovic is their 3rd line center next season. 21 years old. Roughly half a ppg this season. Under his ELC. And if he isn't, they'll be in the FA market after their run this season to get someone.

Snow turned down Trouba for Hamonic because he is downright dumb. He signs the worst contracts.

They won't trade a #1D who they still have control over for a late 1 and an RFA who has shown he's better on wing than center. Someone like Hayes would be more believable, but we do not have the pieces for Trouba.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So is it just me or would a F group of the below not be pretty solid in a Rebuild year ?

Kreider , Zib , Zuc
Namestnikov , Chytil , Buchnevich
Spooner , Hayes , Fast
Vesey , Andersson , Lettieri

I know they likely make a move or two but it’s a good start

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
@mrjimmyg89 Could be!

Have this in mind though, the time to trade for Trouba is now though, ie before his next contract is signed, and you can call up his agent and negotiate a long term deal before the trade.

What would Trouba and his agent ask for in these negotiations? Dougie Hamilton got 5.75m per three years ago for 4 RFA years and 2 UFA years. Trouba is 24, have 1-2 RFA years and a guaranteed route to UFA.

I think it’s likely to assume that the ask would be: (1) We will only negotiate with a team in a location we really like, (2) 7m x 7y and NMC year 2-7.

And that ask might be on the low side. It’s ridiculous to expect top Ds in this league to make less than 7m per going forward. The Cap is going up, the NHL is doing well. The loonie has stopped falling. Next summer OEL, Doughty, Karlsson and McDonagh are hitting the UFA market.

When Brian Campbell got 7m per in 08’ it was 14% of his team’s cap. 14% of a 85m cap is 12.2m per.

7m per for 2019-2025 is not going to be top D money, it’s going to be second rate D money. A number of millions below the top guys.

How many GMs will call up Chevy willing to unload a bunch of top assets to him under those conditions?

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I respect JT and believe he's a top talent but he's regarded as the slowest 1st line center in the league. I don't understand spending that money for 7 years to build around a guy that isn't prototypical for the direction of the league. It's not a fit for our style either. Don't force it, that's not how you build a winner.

Sort of the same knock on JVR. I don't woo him, but if he approached with a shattenkirk proposal, I'm on board.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Coaches are never fired, just released of their duties as coach and given new ones. To agree to let them go to another franchise — you agree to terminate the agreement. There is a handshake deal of sorts between NHL clubs to release former coaches — is there some compensation? Not sure, there used to be.

It’s not always a team get to walk away completely from a coaches contract, it’s a negotiation. I am for example not 200% convinced that Vancouver walked away completely from Torts contract. That was a lot of money. Did CBJ pick up the entire tab? Is at least an example of a coach’s contract that a franchise might not have walked away from entirely.

Almost positive that a fired coach gets paid by the firing team until such time that he gets a new HC gig

Torts getting the CLB job releases the Canucks in full of any further financial obligations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad