Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think JT would provide a bigger impact on this team than either of them would. As bad as our D is.

Karlsson is better than Tavares.

If this team is going to dump 10+ mill into one player, I'd rather it be for the guy who is the best D in the league.

Moot point though as Tavares isn't coming here and EK likely ends up elsewhere unless he actually makes it to free agency, then all bets are off.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
I’d rather not sign big price tag free agents, so tired of doing this. Give me all of our RFAs and a ton of bluechip prospects through the next two drafts, then wait 3-5 years and see what happens.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

If this team is going to dump 10+ mill into one player, I'd rather it be for the guy who is the best D in the league.

Moot point though as Tavares isn't coming here and EK likely ends up elsewhere unless he actually makes it to free agency, then all bets are off.

I think there is all reason to expect Karlsson to have a — much — longer close to peak career than Tavares.

I would definitely be a bit worried about Tavares becoming pretty avg 5 on 5 in the near future...

Reactions: Bozle

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
IDK how many times it has to be gone over, but Trouba is not coming here. Why does Winnipeg, who has one of the deepest forward groups in the NHL, want Ryan Spooner? He doesn't fit in their top 6. He might not even fall into their top 9.

Do people even consider what the other team is doing when making a trade here?

Maybe you should do some research before posting, or do people just post without checking anything?

Winnipeg was de facto after Derrick Brassard this deadline, but Vegas blocked them. So Winnipeg turned to rental Paul Statsny. Can they afford to resign Statsny this summer, who knows? +35 contract. If not they have an opening at center. They have reportedly been after Spooner in the past.

It’s perfectly possible that Spooners next RFA contract scares them off but it’s ridiculous to claim that the team that was the most desperate team in the league in the hunt to acquire a center one month ago has no need for a center...

And yes, you can assume that I consider the other team when making a proposal. Very much so of course. With that said — will this trade happen? There are like what 3-5 hockey trades in a NHL season, extremely little get done. There are a ton of things to consider, and it’s perfectly possible that Chevy wouldn’t like that offer at all. Probably likely due to Spooners RFA contract.

But there is a reason for why Snow de facto turned down a Hamonic for Trouba deal straight up two years ago. Trouba is going to cost you a ton of money. I think 7-8m is worth it for us, think it makes a ton of sense to get a core blueline in place before turning to the forwards who can be a few years younger. But look at what Boston got for Hamilton. Look at Snow turning down Trouba for Hamonic, the contract situation of a player matters a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ori

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Yeah he ruled, Bill Burrs famous Philly concert dans up there too. I think it’s out there but audio stinks. Talking about how they have a statue to a fake boxer while Joe Frazier comes from there. Never saw him live but saw Norton a couple times and shocked my wife loved him despite all of the ear muffs I threw on her.

Yeah, that Burr/Philly thing was at the O&A Traveling Virus comedy show, which was basically the Oddbal Tour before Oddball.

The O&A shows with all those comics on are timeless. The savage trashings they gave each other are spectacular. Nothing funnier.

Reactions: bl02

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
A couple of notes of interest...Adam Mascherin (former 2nd round pick) has informed Florida Panthers he will not sign with them. Also, BU defenseman Brandon Hickey (former 3rd round pick of Flames) not signing with Coyotes. Any there there?
I'd have interest in Mascherin. He has the sniper element not present in our prospect base currently.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think next offseason is the year to go hard after UFA’s. Develop some kids next year. Clear as much long term cap as possible. This, for me, would include possibly dealing Shattenkirk and finding a taker for Staal with some money retained.

Seguin
Panarin
Karlsson
Doughty

I’d find the right guy and go hard after him

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Maybe, but he moves like Nigel Dawes.

He's so slow.
I don't know where the "slow" thing came from. Footspeed isn't his strong suit, sure, but he's not a slob. He's just a smaller player who happens to be built like a tank. He's got fairly decent acceleration without a great top end speed. However, he's a phenomenal stickhandler who can make defenders look silly. He's got an endless motor, a very accurate shot and he goes to the areas you need to get good scoring chances. He's putting on a whopping 4.2 shots per game this year.

Given Gorton's comments about getting more developed prospects recently, I really would be surprised if he wasn't in on him.

Reactions: bernmeister

darko

Feb 16, 2009
A couple of notes of interest...Adam Mascherin (former 2nd round pick) has informed Florida Panthers he will not sign with them. Also, BU defenseman Brandon Hickey (former 3rd round pick of Flames) not signing with Coyotes. Any there there?

Metro fans will riot if we get another free asset.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't know where the "slow" thing came from. Footspeed isn't his strong suit, sure, but he's not a slob. He's just a smaller player who happens to be built like a tank. He's got fairly decent acceleration without a great top end speed. However, he's a phenomenal stickhandler who can make defenders look silly. He's got an endless motor, a very accurate shot and he goes to the areas you need to get good scoring chances. He's putting on a whopping 4.2 shots per game this year.

Given Gorton's comments about getting more developed prospects recently, I really would be surprised if he wasn't in on him.

Hes incredibly slow. Like Marc Staal slow.

He does have a great frame on him despite his lack of height and protects the puck incredibly well, but lets call a spade a spade here, his footspeed is well below average.

I'd happily take a flier on him with a later draft pick, but I wouldnt expect much unless the feet improve.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I saw one reason Fox may be in play...he just told the Flames he’s going back to Harvard for a junior year. They were not thrilled. I think they have some fear he’ll play out the fourth year and become a free agent. He’s a Long Island kid.

Jericho boy, grew up next to a business associate of mine. The late 90s born LI boys are really underscouted. The thought was that they weren't playing high level hockey at 13-16 if they stayed local, but Patty Lafontaine has done a lot to change that. While the games played isn't high, all of these kids are very well coached and trained.

Fox has high end hockey smarts. CGY is a bit foolish with the Hamonic deal and the Stone deal. Anderson and Fox are the real deal. They are "win now" team that aren't giving those kids minutes right away.

The concern about Harvard kids are that they are 4 year players. Donato was ready to go pro 2 years ago... but he waited to graduate. Jimmy is two developmental years into his career and three years away from UFA. So the return on the asset isn't as long for teams when they're dealing with Harvard kids.

Which isn't a bad thing imo... if the Rangers pick at 11 (great rebuilding slot to pick from :sarcasm:) and Wahlstrom drops, it's because of the Harvard commitment. Some teams may not want to wait 4 years for a top 10 pick.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I think next offseason is the year to go hard after UFA’s. Develop some kids next year. Clear as much long term cap as possible. This, for me, would include possibly dealing Shattenkirk and finding a taker for Staal with some money retained.

Seguin
Panarin
Karlsson
Doughty

I’d find the right guy and go hard after him

Agreed. Say no to big UFA signings this summer.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Thinking Tavares, a guy who is barely a top 10 forward, if he is, has a bigger impact on this team than a surefire top-5 defenseman in EK/Doughty is overrating him.

It’s not even Tavares 2019, 2020 which scares me. It’s every single year after that where his play will seriously decline riiight as were about to try and contend. I don’t like. He does not seem like a guy who is still ripping it up st 32+, he is clutch as all hell when he was in the PO’s (that one time lol). And down the stretch he’s usually beasting. I just want nothing to do with him or EK65. I’d go after OEL if anything. Anybody think a deal can be made for Zucc (+?) for OEL ? No way this guy is staying in ARI and he’s only 26 .. Just trying to think of all options here.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida

Karlsson for sure has a brighter future. Tavares just seems like he’s 3 years away from losing another step and being a 50 pt guy

Reactions: jas

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Jericho boy, grew up next to a business associate of mine. The late 90s born LI boys are really underscouted. The thought was that they weren't playing high level hockey at 13-16 if they stayed local, but Patty Lafontaine has done a lot to change that. While the games played isn't high, all of these kids are very well coached and trained.

Fox has high end hockey smarts. CGY is a bit foolish with the Hamonic deal and the Stone deal. Anderson and Fox are the real deal. They are "win now" team that aren't giving those kids minutes right away.

The concern about Harvard kids are that they are 4 year players. Donato was ready to go pro 2 years ago... but he waited to graduate. Jimmy is two developmental years into his career and three years away from UFA. So the return on the asset isn't as long for teams when they're dealing with Harvard kids.

Which isn't a bad thing imo... if the Rangers pick at 11 (great rebuilding slot to pick from :sarcasm:) and Wahlstrom drops, it's because of the Harvard commitment. Some teams may not want to wait 4 years for a top 10 pick.
There are a lot of moving parts that could lead towards a Ranger-Flame deal. I’ve heard Fox described very glowingly by scouts. Calgary’s 5 veteran defensemen are all locked in for at least two more years at less than attractive salaries. Other kids coming on their back line. And did I mention how badly they need secondary scoring (cough...Zucc) And then there’s Bennett who desperately needs a change of scenery. Hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad