Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Well at least he was drafted by the islanders and has ties in the city

He goes to montreal and he immediately has insane expectations placed squarely on him to carry that dump of a forward group into the playoffs

True. I don’t think he goes back to his he Isles either

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
“When we came out with the rebuild plan, this was one of the teams we were looking at, for sure,” Gorton said of the Leafs. “Clearly, Toronto came out and had a plan and I think Brendan (Shanahan) went public with it and then they did a lot of the things that they said they were going to do.

“I think as you do a rebuild, that’s one of the teams you’re looking in the league that you have to say, ‘OK, we can do it.’ ”

“For sure we looked at them,” Gorton said. “They drafted well and they have a lot of nice pieces there. It’s not just Matthews. There’s a lot of players that they hit on over the years and guys from other systems that they acquired. So, there’s no question that we looked at what they did and studied how they built it.”

Shanaplan 2.0? Rangers taking page out of Maple Leafs’ rebuild book

Reactions: BBKers and Ori

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
One familiar yet somewhat surprising name popped up when I talked with an NHL scout the other day. John Moore. UFA. Will come cost controlled. A two or three year deal. We know what we get here.
“It would not surprise me if the Rangers target a few tradable vet assets on shorter deals to fill up some holes and to see how the youngsters get along”.
Garrison was also mentioned - but from what he said he “fell off a cliff.”
He did not think they will buyout Staal as he has been serviceable this year.
Maybe a trade for a filler D with 1-2 years remaining?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Here's hoping we grab the #1 pick then. Plan or no plan, they were still pretty much garbage until they got the #1 pick.

We are not getting close to a No 1 overall pick -- most likely -- without luck and really trading "everyone". You never know and we won't have big marginals, but even if we trade Zucc I have a hard time seeing us being bottom 4 next season.

Do we trade Ziba and Kreider? Gorton is right that kids are coming in and making a difference faster now than 10 years ago. Getting younger is also often getting better. But the majority of the teams on the outside looking in are still struggling tremendously to take that last step, they aren't really getting closer, although Toronto and Winnipeg have had success with not making too many win now moves.

Many teams need better depth. What would they give for the duo of Ziba and Kreider? If Buffalo or EDM gets a 2-4 pick in the draft, would they move Mittlestad/Puljujärvi and their 1st for those 2? That would give us two elite young offensive talents (Mittlestad/Puljujärvi plus one of Zadina/Svechnikov/Tkachuk) -- and we would surely be a bottom 3 team in 18/19 and probably 19/20 too.

Would MTL do a Drouin plus top 2-4 pick in 18' for Ziba and Kreider?

Reactions: Ori

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
We should sign Andreas Martinsen in the off season.

Currently with Chicago and last night played his first NHL game as a Blackhawk.

He's played NHL minutes with Colorado and Montreal too.

Fairly young, cheap 4 liner,gritty and loves to throw his body around. Wreck havock in the German league before coming over.

Plus he's Norwegian...

Andreas Martinsen Stats and News

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Besides nearly taking out Lundqvist, I hope the Rangers Front Office paid attention to Calvert last night. He showed his motor. A line of him/Anderson/Fast might be the biggest pain to play against and can chip in some offense. Another guy who can be moved up and down the lineup.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
One familiar yet somewhat surprising name popped up when I talked with an NHL scout the other day. John Moore. UFA. Will come cost controlled. A two or three year deal. We know what we get here.
“It would not surprise me if the Rangers target a few tradable vet assets on shorter deals to fill up some holes and to see how the youngsters get along”.
Garrison was also mentioned - but from what he said he “fell off a cliff.”
He did not think they will buyout Staal as he has been serviceable this year.
Maybe a trade for a filler D with 1-2 years remaining?

If AV is gone, I'd look at Moore. I like him as a 4/5D and he wouldn't have to relocate

Reactions: TheTakedown

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Besides nearly taking out Lundqvist, I hope the Rangers Front Office paid attention to Calvert last night. He showed his motor. A line of him/Anderson/Fast might be the biggest pain to play against and can chip in some offense. Another guy who can be moved up and down the lineup.

I also like Calvert. And Roussel. And Filpulla. All good depth options who play with a slight edge (some more than others)

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I also like Calvert. And Roussel. And Filpulla. All good depth options who play with a slight edge (some more than others)

Filppula I think is essential for this team next year; a swingman who can also play special teams, and has a Cup.

Would love either Roussel or Calvert, whichever one is cheaper. They really only have room for one.

The problem is even if they trade Zuc and replace the entire 4th line, that's four spots which could in theory go to Kovalchuk, Filpulla, one of Calvert/Roussel, and maybe Grabner. And that's not even counting Anderson/Chytil. So either someone else has to go (Vesey? Spooner? Names? Kredier?), or they plan on overstocking and worrying about it in camp. The current group minus the above but plus the additions, that's a pretty decent squad.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I would say Calvert has more offense in him, but Roussel is more of a PIA. Just depends on what Gorton feels the team needs. I'd take either really. I think they both play with the attitude this team needs more of

True, however the thing that makes Calvert more appealing to me would be his potential value on the trade market. Playoff bound teams would value someone like him over Rousell I'd think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->