Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Everyone knows Namestnikov needs a new contract too right?

And his agent is certainly going to emphasize his point totals. Recorded playing with Stamkos and Kuch. NYR will be paying for that.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
In all honesty I don’t really want to see Andersson or Chytil up until they dominate the AHL. I’m keeping my expectations at the season after next for both of them. My dream is to ice this lineup next year and go full tank.

Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Spooner Hayes Zuccarello
Vesey Namestnikov Lettieri
Roussel Nieves Fast

Holland

Skjei Shattenkirk
Staal DeAngelo
Gilmour Pionk

Smith Kampfer

Lundqvist
Georgiev

The idea would be to give our high end prospects more time to really develop instead of rushing them in.

Hartford would look something like this:

Tambellini Andersson Ronning
Gropp Chytil Virta
Leedahl Howden Schneider
—— —— ——

OGara Sproul
Hajek Zborovksy
Day Lindgren

Crawley

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
Long time lurker here, decided to register finally.
Have anyone thought about Antti Suomela? Great 23 year-old center from Finland who just finished his regular season putting up over PPG, most of em have come from 5vs5 too.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers need to stop winning games. They are 4-2-1 since the trading deadline. Twelve games remaining. 5 home/7 away. The 1st team overall isn't guaranteed to win the 1st pick overall with the NHL lottery system. All three teams 1-3 moved up last season. They will have better odds if they stop winning games. It looks Georgiev will be getting a fair number of starts the rest of the season. His two wins have come against two non-playoff teams.

Pittsburgh
@Blues
Columbus
@Philadelphia
Buffalo
Washington
@Washington
Tampa
@Carolina
@Devils
@Islanders
@Philadelphia

The Rangers need elite talent and difference makers. Those guys are found at the top of the draft.

The NHL lottery system is convoluted. They don't pick one ball for each team. There are a combination of numbers. The Leafs came within the final ball of winning the McDavid lottery in 2015 and the Habs came within one ball of winning the Matthews lottery in 2016.

Canadiens draft lottery near-miss on Matthews really stings now - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: leetch99

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I made myself clear in another thread: unlike many here I realize that how I feel about the organization does not impact how the organization behaves.

That said, I've got almost 30 years of fan experience under my belt that says that this organization is gearing up for UFAs.

You might need to "come to grips" with it if it happens. Not me.

I'm also a fan of this franchise for 40+ years and I can tell you that they have NEVER done what they did this year in terms of the sell off.

What that tells me is that there seems to be a significant adjustment to their SOP.

I have no doubt that they are goo g to dip into the UFA waters, but I do not believe, for one second, that they are going to big game hunting as has been their want for as long as I can remember.

IMHO

Reactions: jas

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The Rangers need to stop winning games. They are 4-2-1 since the trading deadline. Twelve games remaining. 5 home/7 away. The 1st team overall isn't guaranteed to win the 1st pick overall with the NHL lottery system. All three teams 1-3 moved up last season. They will have better odds if they stop winning games. It looks Georgiev will be getting a fair number of starts the rest of the season. His two wins have come against two non-playoff teams.

Pittsburgh
@Blues
Columbus
@Philadelphia
Buffalo
Washington
@Washington
Tampa
@Carolina
@Devils
@Islanders
@Philadelphia

The Rangers need elite talent and difference makers. Those guys are found at the top of the draft.

The NHL lottery system is convoluted. They don't pick one ball for each team. There are a combination of numbers. The Leafs came within the final ball of winning the McDavid lottery in 2015 and the Habs came within one ball of winning the Matthews lottery in 2016.

The ONLY games I want them to win are the last three of the year

A big f*** you to the Devils, Islanders and Flyers

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
Did you not read my first sentence?

They just went through with something that they've never done (selling while still being in it.) That alone should signal to everyone that they're taking a different approach this time around.

Your years of fan experience mean nothing to me. JG's actions however, do.

We’ll see.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Pittsburgh
@Blues
Columbus
@Philadelphia
Buffalo
Washington
@Washington
Tampa
@Carolina
@Devils
@Islanders
@Philadelphia

A few more players should go, but I wouldn’t rule out that the team still will be better next year than we are now. Depth and speed are so important, we shouldn’t have to ice 3-4 avg AHLers in the bottom 6 next year.

What is the plan if we don’t finish bottom 10 next year and luck out this year? Where do we get the elite talent?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Trying to find the article by Joe Smith (Bolts beat), but he said that Yzerman wanted Miller, and Gorton then asked for Namestnikov in return.

In that order.
With NO proof, I believe this is the case. One would think that SY was the aggressor, as it is "his team" that was looking for their missing piece(s) for their run.
It's also pretty obvious to me that JT brings that little extra grit and physicality that is needed in PO's. He has it in him, just wasn't doing it much for a floundering relationship with AV.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I just want the team to play well.

If they end up one spot higher, and decrease their chances by ~2% of getting a top 3 pick then so be it. Rooting for them to lose feels dirty because it is. We're not Penguins fans. We're better than that.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
The Rangers need to stop winning games. They are 4-2-1 since the trading deadline. Twelve games remaining. 5 home/7 away.

Pittsburgh
@Blues
Columbus
@Philadelphia
Buffalo
Washington
@Washington
Tampa
@Carolina
@Devils
@Islanders
@Philadelphia
There really shouldn't be a whole lot of winning in there. Unfortunately the teams we want to catch us, it doesn't look like there is a whole lot of wins in their schedule as well. Which teams lose the best? The Rangers aren't GOOD at losing, it's not in their nature, led by well.....u know who.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'm also a fan of this franchise for 40+ years and I can tell you that they have NEVER done what they did this year in terms of the sell off.

What that tells me is that there seems to be a significant adjustment to their SOP.

I have no doubt that they are goo g to dip into the UFA waters, but I do not believe, for one second, that they are going to big game hunting as has been their want for as long as I can remember.

IMHO

Aside from potentially pursuing Kovalchuk, who is likely being looked at to help the likes of Rykov and Shestyorkin when they get here, I don’t see the Rangers doing too much in free agency. We likely see some depth signings l, like the ones we saw in 2016. But, I don’t even see even the likes of Grabner or Filpula being pursued. There are at least nine players who will challenge for a spot on defense. Both Smith and Belesky will get a chance to redeem themselves. In the likely event Zuccarello gets moved, we don’t know if a roster player comes back. We also potentially have Andersson and Chytil given the opportunity to stick. There’s also the small possibility that the player the Rangers take with their top pick may be ready to step right in, (especially if we get lucky and move into the top three.). Nothing about the path Gorton has taken so far suggests big game hunting is on the agenda. We’re in unfamiliar territory here.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
There really shouldn't be a whole lot of winning in there. Unfortunately the teams we want to catch us, it doesn't look like there is a whole lot of wins in their schedule as well. Which teams lose the best? The Rangers aren't GOOD at losing, it's not in their nature, led by well.....u know who.

The Rangers have one team left on their schedule that has a worse record than they do - Buffalo, who has actually played very well of late. The only team I ‘d feel confident about the Rangers beating is Carolina, and that’s in Raleigh, where the Canes have been more respectable against the Rangers as of late. If teams like Montreal and Edmonton simply go .500 the rest of the way, based upon the Rangers’ remaining schedule, I can easily see the Rangers reaching at least the 6th spot. And, believe it or not, both Buffalo and Arizona have played well as of late.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Just a fallback in case it goes sour. What does that actually cost?
I mean you can only have 3 buyouts on the books at a time and there are cap implications. So it's not free.

It comes down to changing the philosophy of how they run the organization. If you suspect a player isn't going to live up to the contract, especially in the midst of a rebuild, you have to move him asap.

Why hang on to a depreciating asset that could have been turned into a building block? No room for sentimentality.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
It is a very fine line we have to walk. Nothing is worse for a young team than to consistently lose. Nothing impacts a player’s development more, in a negative way, than losing. Young players must experience success, both individually and as a team. This is particularly true with a young Dcorp. They must grow in a culture that values winning above all else. Yes, if we lose, we put ourselves in a better draft position. But, is it worth it? I’m not sure.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I hope the Rangers stay away from the imported, expensive cap hit, long term, clauses, UFA market. It's just so rare those types of signing work out really well for any team who signs them.

Short term UFAs who can fill the gaps, mentor, provide some shelter I think would work, but that also takes coaching being on board with playing them in certain roles rather than relying on them for all the important situations.

I like their recent direction for the most part, get picks/prospects but I am concerned about the ceilings of them both individually and collectively.

I'd dislike seeing the Rangers go through this process only to come out with a future roster that still has many skaters playing on a line or pair above where they should be. A draft or two where it breaks really well, or some prospects developing far better than their draft slot indicated would increase my faith(some of which happened with Chytil so far), we'll see I guess.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Nash is the only UFA I’d sign. And I’d name him captain. 3 year deal.

Glue him to Chytil’s line

Reactions: RGY

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Guys I -- just -- realized that Skjei in Norwegian mean Spoon. And we just traded for Spooner. And it really means nothing. You can't make fun of it, you can't talk about a silverware line or unit since we never could get 3 more knifes/forks/spoons. Kind of typical of this season right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad