Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XII: The Great Sell-off of 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Ah ****, I thought that first dude was another poster, not you. I meant to the three jabronis that I was talking to. Didn't realize you were one of them ;)

Differing of opinion means I'm a jabroni. Neat, resorting to namecalling because you disagree.

I thought you left.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I don't get why anyone would want to hang onto Smith at this point.
You can blame the system all you want but after watching AD come in and completely outplay him, that excuse has run thin IMO.
If they're gonna rebuild, then rebuild and don't half ass it.
I'd drop all the dead weight on this squad, starting with him..

For starters, he was better last year than he has been this year. I think we can all agree on that. If that's true, then the possibility exists that he can return to that level. Maybe it's because of his conditioning, or because he got paid and doesn't care, or because of AV's system, or some combination of all of them. Whatever the reason, we know he has the potential to play better than he has been.

Now, that by itself isn't an endorsement for keeping him. I could also say that we can't trade everyone and we will still need players to fill out the roster after all the other trades are done, but even that isn't enough to ensure his place on the team.

The most convincing argument I can give you is that unless we can find a trade for him, which seems unlikely right now, then no other options make sense. We can waive him, sure, but he is unlikely to be claimed and that won't help his trade value any. We could send him down after he clears, but the majority of his cap hit would still count. We could buy him out, but then we are stuck with 6 years of penalties on top of the penalties we already have for Girardi. So our best bet is probably just to hold onto him and hope he turns it around. If he does, them maybe we can find a trade partner for him down the road. With the team about to go through a rebuild, it is going to be a couple years before we can really think about competing again. By then, his contract will almost be done. There's no point in hamstringing the team for years to come with a buyout cap hit when we aren't going to the need that cap space in the immediate future.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
You know, sometimes the outlying opinion isn’t the obvious path others are missing. Sometimes it’s just that - the outlying opinion.

I absolutely agree.

Friedman said its possible the Rangers re-sign Nash and Grabner. Nash, Grabner and Holden are the three most likely to go, with an outside chance at McDonagh or Zucc. I'm not betting on a GM meeting Gortons demands though. So outside of Holden not returning, what would cause us to be stuck in the dreaded middle?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Instead of continually beating a dead horse, I wonder who teams try to pass through waivers around the deadline. I am curious if the Rangers try and snag a couple of guys off of the waiver-wire

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Elliotte Friedman is the one saying it on a couple of places.

It comes down to contract term. Doug MacLean thinks Columbus should re-acquire Nash before the deadline because Nash will take less to play again in Columbus. He suggested a 3 or 4 year contract. Do you see Gorton giving 34 year old Rick Nash 3 or 4 years? I don't.

Sather, yes, Gorton, no. I personally think Nash will have played his last game in a NYR sweater before 2/26.

I would assume Nash on the open market would get about $5mil per for 3 maybe 4 years. If he took say $4mil to play for the Rangers again that's not a terrible contract but what does it do for the NYR rebuild? Nothing...we would likely be watching the same team again.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
That would be a very strong return for Holden.
Agreed. I wouldn’t want my team paying that. But Holden is a player that gives the appearance of being solid, logged top-4 minutes in the playoffs last season, can play both sides and has a salary that every team can afford. Think there will be bidding.

Reactions: leetch99

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Assuming these following guys remain on the roster after the deadline....
Kreider
Mika
Buch
Hayes
Miller
Vesey
Lettieri
Fast
Skjei
Shatty
ADA
Staal
Smith

.....we need to acquire/draft a bonafied first line center. A top line winger. A second line winger. A fourth line center. A top pairing d and a veteran defensive minded d. I personally would get rid of Miller and Smith if I could. We should have 3 first round picks and two seconds this year to draft top end talent. Then we should recoup at least 2 impact players in the upcoming trades to fill the above needs. Plus we have Chytl, Lias, Pionk and Day to come up or as chips. Not to mention a boatload of money to use in free agency. Done right this could be a quick rebuild having us ready to compete year two

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I absolutely agree.

Friedman said its possible the Rangers re-sign Nash and Grabner. Nash, Grabner and Holden are the three most likely to go, with an outside chance at McDonagh or Zucc. I'm not betting on a GM meeting Gortons demands though. So outside of Holden not returning, what would cause us to be stuck in the dreaded middle?

I’m more or less in the same boat as PLD.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Can I tell you something? This sell off at the deadline where we get marginal returns on our rentals and draft somewhere around 15 and miss the playoffs is exactly how you become the dreaded middle.

C'mon, man. We're very clearly already there. The only difference between what you're arguing against and the idea of squeaking into the playoffs and getting knocked out in the first round is that you think one is more noble than the other.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
So everything you've typed in this post... re-read it. Nothing about this says to you that a smart decision would be to fire AV?

My beef is that there are legitimately people who don't want to fire AV right now because it benefits the team.

I just hate tanking, and I hate the mentality that it breeds in fans.

Oh wait, I should probably go find a garbage can.
Agree with this 100%

I'd fire AV now. I hate the idea that he's doing a bad job and that is good because he will help us get a higher pick.

Him doing a poor job will also have an impact on the players who will still be here next year's development and their attitude and mindset.

The only reason to keep him around is if you are keeping him next year. If not, fire him now and bring someone else in even as interim to see how it effects the group and how the players respond.

Reactions: bernmeister

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The point of firing AV now is that he is a bad coach so get him away from ruining the team and have an interim guy come in there. Even if it doesn't turn things around you don't want to see how these guys can do in a non-joke system or see Buchnevich (when healthy) and guys like that actually being allowed on the ice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->