Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XII: The Great Sell-off of 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I don't get why anyone would want to hang onto Smith at this point.
You can blame the system all you want but after watching AD come in and completely outplay him, that excuse has run thin IMO.
If they're gonna rebuild, then rebuild and don't half ass it.
I'd drop all the dead weight on this squad, starting with him..

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Given all the injuries and given that they'd have no solid replacement HC I'd be willing to take my chances on this one.

Eh, I just see it more like, there is a non-zero chance the team would turn it around so why risk it?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Glad those guys are looking alright. All we really need is the good players to be healthy.

Staal having "neck issues" sounds like a cover up... He's definitely concussed

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
One thing to remember about the Rick Nash sweepstakes: the list might not matter.A general manager who thinks Nash may help his team and is willing to make a serious offer can always ask for permission to try and convince him. It’s happened before, but, usually, the team won’t go to the player unless it knows it wants to make that particular trade. It would surprise no one if both Nash and Michael Grabner were dealt and then went back to the Rangers in 2018-19. I can see Boston being in on Grabner. And don’t underestimate the interest in Nick Holden for depth, too.

Are Nash and Grabner taking less this summer?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
Yeah, I have this crazy mentality where I like my team being good and doing smart things.

Can I tell you something? This sell off at the deadline where we get marginal returns on our rentals and draft somewhere around 15 and miss the playoffs is exactly how you become the dreaded middle.

jlawokay.gif

Exiting this thread now. Too much group-think. Will read replies if you quote me. Will not respond.

That's right, blame it on "group think" rather than it being the best course of action after evaluating what the most likely scenarios are for this team for the rest of the year.

Half the team is injured. The other half is underperforming. We're last or second to last in Corsi. We have 53 games of evidence that this isn't a good team despite a hot streak here and there. You want this team to win in the last 29 games to do what?

As of today we're in the 9th draft spot. Somehow we're going to sell some impending UFAs and end up around 15?

Next time you're angry about something, write down your thoughts on a piece of paper and then throw it away.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Thought 27 is certainly interesting about Kovy
I wonder if he means him coming here or to the Islanders.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Kreider isn't coming back anytime soon to save the day. Light skating. Minimum 6-8 weeks of no contact. He may not even be able to lift weights or do anything too stressful at this point.

Per dagoon, Smith was greatly neutered by AV. I believe it. Look what happened when McLIrath beat up Tomas Hertl for going into Lundqvist's crease last season. That was pretty much the last time we ever saw him or close to it. For some reason AV who was a scrappy player in his limited NHL action has something against fighting if your name isn't Tanner Glass. Weird.

Smith can be better. He should be better. Maybe it's the contract or being married but the whole out of shape narrative is not rumors and innuendo, he gave the interview on the Rangers website with Amanda Borges that said he was at a wedding every weekend during the summer. That's a huge training disruption. I read Ethan Werek and also Mitch Gaulton's training diaries about 8-9 years ago. One who is an OK AHLer, the other who never really even made it to the ECHL. This isn't 2-3 hours at the gym like we do. This is 2-3 hours at the gym + 2-3 hours of ice work +another 2-3 hours of some other training + proper nutrition. If you're at a 6-7 hours wedding 7-8 times during the summer every weekend you're not going to be up to speed.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
That's right, blame it on "group think" rather than it being the best course of action after evaluating what the most likely scenarios are for this team for the rest of the year.

Half the team is injured. The other half is underperforming. We're last or second to last in Corsi. We have 53 games of evidence that this isn't a good team despite a hot streak here and there. You want this team to win in the last 29 games to do what?

As of today we're in the 9th draft spot. Somehow we're going to sell some impending UFAs and end up around 15?

Next time you're angry about something, write down your thoughts on a piece of paper and then throw it away.
So everything you've typed in this post... re-read it. Nothing about this says to you that a smart decision would be to fire AV?

My beef is that there are legitimately people who don't want to fire AV right now because it benefits the team.

I just hate tanking, and I hate the mentality that it breeds in fans.

Oh wait, I should probably go find a garbage can.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
So everything you've typed in this post... re-read it. Nothing about this says to you that a smart decision would be to fire AV?

My beef is that there are legitimately people who don't want to fire AV right now because it benefits the team.

Firing him now is fine by me. I agree that it's fair to see how the team reacts to Arniel or whoever might step in.

I think we are really mostly in agreement. I don't ever want this team to tank like Buffalo did, selling off anything of value.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Firing him now is fine by me. I agree that it's fair to see how the team reacts to Arniel or whoever might step in.

I think we are really mostly in agreement. I don't ever want this team to tank like Buffalo did, selling off anything of value.
Wow, talk about your epic 180s...

HOW WOULD YOU KNOW WE WERE MOSTLY IN AGREEMENT IF I THREW MY POST IN THE GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah, I have this crazy mentality where I like my team being good and doing smart things.

Can I tell you something? This sell off at the deadline where we get marginal returns on our rentals and draft somewhere around 15 and miss the playoffs is exactly how you become the dreaded middle.

jlawokay.gif

Exiting this thread now. Too much group-think. Will read replies if you quote me. Will not respond.

You know, sometimes the outlying opinion isn’t the obvious path others are missing. Sometimes it’s just that - the outlying opinion.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
Wow, talk about your epic 180s...

HOW WOULD YOU KNOW WE WERE MOSTLY IN AGREEMENT IF I THREW MY POST IN THE GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Ha...I never said don't fire him. If I recall, you did say "will not respond," however.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I can see both sides to all of this. I have NEVER, EVER wanted to see the NYR lose. Ever.

Even now when I know it would be better for them to bottom out this year and MAYBEEEEE get a top-3 or 5 pick I watch the games and still find myself rooting for them.

It's the difference between heart and soul and rational, forward thought and knowing what would be best for the team.

As is always the case no one is WONG feeling or thinking one way or the other but because it's an emotional thing, they will get heated about their belief. It's natural.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

I can't imagine why anyone would want to keep him at this point.
I'm especially curious as to why JG is still allowing him to make personnel decisions.
Someone should make a poll..

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Kreider had surgery on January 7. He will be evaluated in 6 weeks. The week of February 18th is 6 weeks. The Rangers never said what's really wrong with Kreider other than the blood clot. Assuming it's a similar injury to the TB guys. Vasilevsky was out 8 weeks . Stamkos was rushed back in 7 weeks for the playoffs. Krieder is a big physical guy. He plays a different game than Stamkos.

The best-case scenario for Kreider would translate to an absence of 6-to-8 weeks but experts in the field have cautioned The Post that could be a quite optimistic projection and suggest that, pending the final diagnosis and plan of treatment, he could be sidelined for far longer than that.

It is unknown whether Kreider is suffering from TOS or will require surgery, but a source familiar with the condition suggested the winger’s situation differs from Vasilevskiy’s because No. 20 would be far more prone to body contact and thus might be not cleared to play as quickly as the goaltender.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/28/chris-kreider-has-alarming-blood-clot-as-rangers-call-up-youngster/

Shattenkirk had surgery on January 22. Sam Rosen said Shattenkirk would be out up to 8 weeks on the first broadcast after the injury was announced. Colorado game. The week of March 19 is 8 weeks. The Rangers never gave a timetable but Sam did.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Are Nash and Grabner taking less this summer?

Nash potentially. He has made his money and if by chance he wins the cup this year, what else really is there than playing for team you like and in the city you want to live in? I can't see Grabner passing up on a once in a life time contract opportunity. But hey, crazier things have happened.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Theres been a couple of places suggesting this now.

Elliotte Friedman is the one saying it on a couple of places.

It comes down to contract term. Doug MacLean thinks Columbus should re-acquire Nash before the deadline because Nash will take less to play again in Columbus. He suggested a 3 or 4 year contract. Do you see Gorton giving 34 year old Rick Nash 3 or 4 years? I don't.

Reactions: leetch99

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Kyper believes Nash will get traded before the trading deadline. The Rangers can get a first or a top young prospect plus another asset for Nash. Jeff Marek brought up Dante Fabbro.
I'd be very happy with that. You can never have too many mobile, puck moving right handed d-men.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I don't see the point in firing AV today.

I cent believe that the GM is gonna buy some BS scenario in which the season was ruined by injury we were a train wreck before they started to pile up.

I also hate the word tank because to me, it implies that you are throwing games and I'd trade every f***ing one of them if I thought that was happening.

To me, I have no issues letting this thing ride out, trade who ever we are going to trade for the best return and regroup over the summer with a plan of action on how to best address the future.

I can tell you they Scott Arniel and Lindy Ruff would not be part of the coaching staff going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad