Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XII: The Great Sell-off of 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Exciting times ahead for sure. This board is going to be a contentious place when deals start going down :popcorn:

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If the Rangers have a nice stretch of games and are in playoff position at the deadline, and they sell, without some level of also buying, I'd be pretty surprised.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I want picks but I prefer younger players a little further down their development path. Eliminates some risk. Also eliminates some potential "boom," but still. A good mix is what I'd like. I don't just want a crapload of picks because we'll f*** that up.

Reactions: Thirty One

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I want picks but I prefer younger players a little further down their development path. Eliminates some risk. Also eliminates some potential "boom," but still. A good mix is what I'd like. I don't just want a crapload of picks because we'll **** that up.
At least 2018 seems like a lot better draft year than 2004....

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If a prospect was already looking really good, would the other team really give them up? Let's say the Rangers were buying and going all in, would they really give up Chytil or Shestyorkin? Seems like if the Rangers are going after already drafted prospects, they are likely to get that teams slightly lesser ranked prospects.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If a prospect was already looking really good, would the other team really give them up? Let's say the Rangers were buying and going all in, would they really give up Chytil or Shestyorkin? Seems like if the Rangers are going after already drafted prospects, they are likely to get that teams slightly lesser ranked prospects.
Unless it's McDonagh I don't think anyone would realistically expect a stud prospect. The rest of the guys being discussed will get nice returns, be it as prospects or picks, but not the real blue-chippers. Unless someone over-pays, which seems to happen a lot.

Reactions: Off Sides

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Not to be a Negative Nancy but I just don't see much going on until the final countdown. I highly doubt Jeff Gorton has 2-3 moves planned in the coming days. The team will remain the same for at least 3 weeks.

I agree. I think TDL is when stuff starts to move. Or at least closer to it.

DundeeRanger

Jan 28, 2018
Going to my first live game at MSG vs the Wings on 25 Feb - What team will be there to greet me? Will we be in playoff contention and have had some rentals departed or be out of it and see wholesale changes?

Either way its exciting.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Rangers traded Duclair for Yandle.

It's easy to hindsight that one, but he was a very good looking prospect who was relatively productive as a 19 year old in the NHL prior to being sent down.

It happens, but outside of McDonagh and Zuccarello, they don't have the type of players to return a piece like that.

Foresberg for Erat also happened, but stuff like that is even rarer.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Unless it's McDonagh I don't think anyone would realistically expect a stud prospect. The rest of the guys being discussed will get nice returns, be it as prospects or picks, but not the real blue-chippers. Unless someone over-pays, which seems to happen a lot.

Which I think brings up another question, if they had the choice, is it better to take on a non blue chip, or better to just take picks and try to draft their own blue chip even if the odds are not so great?

DundeeRanger

Jan 28, 2018
I'd say
Which I think brings up another question, if they had the choice, is it better to take on a non blue chip, or better to just take picks and try to draft their own blue chip even if the odds are not so great?

I'd say it depends on the depth of the draft and how well scouted the prospects are. Its unlikely we'll trade up to where we'll get a McDavid or an Eichel and if we did, that prospect is 2 - 3 years away from our roster.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

If this was 2011/12, the year Suter was a UFA and we lost to NJ in the ECF and Suter was not necessarily "on the block" but we called offering Chytil and, Nashville said "yes". I would say with somewhat certainty, given our team makeup at the time, window of opportunity, and the build-up of previous seasons to that point, that NYR would offer up Chytil for Suter and probably more. McDonagh is pretty close to Suter level. I'm sure quietly, there are 2 or 3 GM's salivating at getting him it just depends on how GMJG plays his hand and gets the guy on the other end of the phone to pony up.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think given that the teams that we're likely to be trading with are "good," and would therefore be drafting closer to the end of the round, I'd be more inclined to take a B+ prospect further in his development than, say, the 25th pick. At the same time if we could get a couple B+ prospects, then I'd be okay also taking a late first and hoping we get a Chytil.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I guess that is why good rentals usually return some B+/B- prospect, plus a late 1st.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
If this was 2011/12, the year Suter was a UFA and we lost to NJ in the ECF and Suter was not necessarily "on the block" but we called offering Chytil and, Nashville said "yes". I would say with somewhat certainty, given our team makeup at the time, window of opportunity, and the build-up of previous seasons to that point, that NYR would offer up Chytil for Suter and probably more. McDonagh is pretty close to Suter level. I'm sure quietly, there are 2 or 3 GM's salivating at getting him it just depends on how GMJG plays his hand and gets the guy on the other end of the phone to pony up.

Addendum: 4:49pm
Thinking more like:
Chytil + 3rd for rental Suter.
Chytil + Holden + low 1st/high 2nd, for 2 years Suter similar to what McD is now.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
First reply.

Come at me.

giphy.gif

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Not to be a Negative Nancy but I just don't see much going on until the final countdown. I highly doubt Jeff Gorton has 2-3 moves planned in the coming days. The team will remain the same for at least 3 weeks.

As it should be. GMJG should not rush any decision he makes be that for DD or for McD

This will allow teams to better understand their needs based on their teams play during that time

There risk of injury to one of our guys, but the injury risk is a dual edged issue as other teams run the risk of a guy getting hurt upping the ante on the cost to acquire.

Unless a team comes in with an absurd offer, holding for 2-3 weeks is the smart play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->