Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XI: We can read between the lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I take Nash at 3 years at 3.5-4 per

Love Nash, glad he wants to be a Ranger

Ideal situation is they trade him for assets at the deadline, and he re-signs for a good price. Very similar to Vermette with the Coyotes a couple years ago

If they are in the playoff spot though they probs wont sell

Reactions: mike14

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
He’s been on average like .5 points/playoffs game for us. That’s not horrible, but I don’t think it’s enough to justify not trading him if it can improve a future squad, especially given how unlikely it is that we would offer him anything close to what he might get on the open market. @Oscar Lindberg

Last edited:

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Gorts needs to gauge the return for Nash, would be beyond ignorant if he doesn't.

If the team is in a playoff race, they may self rent... will be interesting to see.... outside of Tampa, the east is full of question marks. I still think this roster is 3 players short of any playoff impact.

Backup goalie, bottom six center, another top 9 winger/center.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Georgiev time soon?

He's been keeping Hartford in games. Solid play lately.
If the Rangers continue to push forward, I don't know how reliable Pavelec will be for us. I hated that signing from the beginning, but it was slim pickings on the free agent market without having to overpay.

Hank will need games off and they need a backup who can step in and win those games.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Gorts needs to gauge the return for Nash, would be beyond ignorant if he doesn't.

If the team is in a playoff race, they may self rent... will be interesting to see.... outside of Tampa, the east is full of question marks. I still think this roster is 3 players short of any playoff impact.

I’m beginning to believe Lettieri may be that top-9 winger

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
"But if general manager Jeff Gorton and his crew believe the Rangers have a postseason run in them, it is unlikely Nash would be sacrificed even if he would be free to leave on July 1. There is another option, of course. The Rangers could sign their 32-year-old alternate captain to an extension."
From the Brooks article.

This would not be a smart move. We need to recoup picks and prospects, even if we hurt the team going into a playoff run. This team is not good enough as constructed to win a cup

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Disagree on your assessment of what the team needs are.

The backup will play 20-25 games this year. As long as Hank and the team is performing well, this won't hold them back as much and it will have no impact on them once they get to the playoffs. Hopefully Pavelec picks his game up or Georgiev is an option as the season goes on.

They are a Top 9 center away from being very difficult to play against imo. Now that is IF Zibanejad continues to progress. Hayes just needs to play well enough in the second line center role. Maybe you get 2nd/3rd line center tweener that looks more like a 2nd line center B on the 3rd line. This would also slide Desharnais down to the 4th line full time. This is the gap right now imo. You help the center depth and essentially you've replaced Stepan's role with a combination of Hayes and that acquired center, while also improving the defense/powerplay by adding Shattenkirk this offseason. Having Buch for a full season playing like this would also be like adding a top end free agent this offseason.

Time will tell.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I see a good trade partnership with the canucks. They've got a number of centers who could fill a role with us.

Could NYr get them to retain 50% of Sutter's contract? If not, Marcus Granlund or Burmistrov could be cheap options. I wanted to sign Burmistrov or Gagner in the offseason, VAn is rebuilding, they cant cost much.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I see a good trade partnership with the canucks. They've got a number of centers who could fill a role with us.

Could NYr get them to retain 50% of Sutter's contract? If not, Marcus Granlund or Burmistrov could be cheap options. I wanted to sign Burmistrov or Gagner in the offseason, VAn is rebuilding, they cant cost much.

Burmistrov would be a real solid addition

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
But if general manager Jeff Gorton and his crew believe the Rangers have a postseason run in them, it is unlikely Nash would be sacrificed even if he would be free to leave on July 1. There is another option, of course. The Rangers could sign their 32-year-old alternate captain to an extension.

Ah, good. We were blowing it all up two weeks ago, and now we're making a playoff run. :shakehead

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Really none of those three interest me.

Burmistrov, 26 years old, has constantly underachieved. I don't see the use in bringing him. 5 points in 15 games this year. He does not play a complete game. We don't need reclamation projects. We need a legit top 9 center.

Granlund, maybe. 24 years old. 3 points in 17 games this year. Also discouraging. But still just not enough where I think, 'let's bring him in, slot him in the top 9 because he makes us better.' Would rather promote Lettieri or Chytil.

Sutter, if Vancouver retained half of his salary then sure. Fits in the mold of Brian Boyle. Plays a very good defensive game. Can PK. But I also wouldn't offer much for him. He is 28 years old. He doesn't produce a ton for what he makes, even with money retained. But nonetheless, someone to keep an eye on as the year moves on as a 3rd or 4th option at the deadline.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The Rangers are going to be in significant Cap hell if they re-sign any of their UFAs and the team stays as is.

They really need to bail on that Smith contract ASAP. Trade him for best available draft pick fast. They aren’t going to be able to bridge Buchnevich if he keeps up what he is doing, and I still don’t think there is any chance they can afford Zuccarello or McDonagh’s extension, especially not both of them. Time to trade is before the deadline.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Ah, good. We were blowing it all up two weeks ago, and now we're making a playoff run. :shakehead
I’m still giving them another week or two before I’m ready to judge them. I’d still rather make hockey trades than buy. We need to get more assets somehow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad