Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
We're in here discussing round 2 lineups and Bern is on the main trade boards fighting off hoards like he is in Rambo: First Blood
He is unironically my favorite member of the community. Just out there having a good time playing GM while the rest of us stress over actual games. Positive vibes and future considerations only.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bern do you watch the games or just spend your time creating trade ideas? Just dont think I ever see you in the game threads.
I watch nearly every Rs game
and a few more nhl games when I can

I rarely post in game threads
do spend more energy on considering how to improve team, which necessitates trade or related strategy beyond observing

He is unironically my favorite member of the community. Just out there having a good time playing GM while the rest of us stress over actual games. Positive vibes and future considerations only.
His Honor the Chief Judge and I have a mutual respect for each other.
His avatar reminds of Arthur Kirkland, and I behave like him.

And if any of you don;t get that reference, something is really wrong....

Reactions: Atax

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
IMG_4488.jpeg

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
I know I reference the greatest Rangers project we did a lot, but whenever people pick on bern I think about how much first hand historical knowledge he contributed to it. I wish more people got to see that side of him.

Reactions: bernmeister

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Having Zibby-chytil-tro as a spine down the middle when all are healthy and playing well isn’t a thing too many teams can offer or even handle.
All 3 play D and can put up points. Each one has something they do specifically better then the others in terms of their games but they are all a handful.

There was a very loud/noisy contingent on here that wanted to resign strome for 5mill-4-5 yrs, I never understood that.
Thank god Drury cut him loose because Trochek literally does everything better while also having chemistry with bread.

Then there were some that wanted to resign Copp. Good player, but Tro is more talented and relentless at the way he plays. He’s also a leader off the ice and helped Cuylle by letting him live with his family.
Our FO/Drury really did their homework before signing this guy. He’s been excellent and his contract is very moveable. It’s not an albatross down the line if need be.

Having tro at 6.5 opposed to copp/strome at 5-5.5 is an absolute no brainer.

Yes, we need centers in the system, but if chytil is healthy rangers should be set at center for the next 2-3/4 seasons.
Hopefully Edstrom becomes the long term 4C.
Imo he has everything you want in a 4C size/smarts/skating/finishes checks/pk option with long reach/and can add timely offense.
Trochek and peca should be running a Faceoff class in the offseason and Zibby/chytil/Edstrom should attend…..
Trocheks currrent cap hit is $5,625,000 - not $6,5. Just being a PITA

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
We're in here discussing round 2 lineups and Bern is on the main trade boards fighting off hoards like he is in Rambo: First Blood
Do we need to send in some paratroopers? Does @bernmeister need backup?

I think the rangers are fine cap-wise. Not sure where the worry is coming from. No dead money. The big guys signed. Igor might be an issue in a year but the cap is going up too.

Reactions: eco's bones

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You just gotta accept him for how he is. He means well and isn't an asshole, which says a lot more than most on the main boards. He isn't trolling and is sincere, even if his perception of how to run the team or player values doesn't align with yours or mine. He's a fun reprieve from some of the angry old men or angsty teen boys you see posting around and whatnot. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoy the antics.
thank you for the kind words, and, contrary to view held by a handful that I am a vainglorious narcissist because I do not capitulate to a herd mentality and insist we strive for merit,
bern always strives for encouraging freedom of speech b'c competition of ideas big time >>>>>>>>>> than alternative (suppression)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

I think the rangers are fine cap-wise. Not sure where the worry is coming from. No dead money. The big guys signed. Igor might be an issue in a year but the cap is going up too.
bern welcomes all, tho reinforcement is obv preferable.

We are relatively speaking in very good shape generally and particularly for current cup run.
Current cup run:
I expect we should prevail over Canes, who will not be pushover, but on paper we are better overall roster and while any G can get hot at any time, enuf to be a dif maker, Shesty/Quick is WAY better.
Final conference round, expect Panthers. We are IMO super slim favorites (11 in 20 or 55-45). We could lose, but we should win.
Cup finals: have to see who WC rep is, but on paper if I am not mistaken only one that owned us entirely was VAN. If they are the rep, we will have to solve that they were a faster team who overcame our def to prevail.
If not 'nucks, who? If Oil, we have to be careful. We had portions of games we were dominant up 3, 4 goals, then complete reverse.

Overall:
there is an ongoing need to constantly upgrade.
In POs, you want to do what we are doing, sweep, let next rounders beat themselves while we heal.
To do that you need sufficient horses to not merely compete, but dominate.
We are doing well in part b'c Panarin is playing smarter, not nec harder.
But he should not get remotely close to 11.6+m when he renews after next season, which should mean to avoid a bad look, he will consent [waive] to us moving him mid next season. All teams recognize hard cap reality, and those funds are needed to extend core pieces and add replacement.
Ditto Trouba
We need to follow bern mantra, which, exceptions notwithstanding, sell vets to keep fresh foundation of quality youth, Costs experience, but higher energy and cheaper cap hits justify.

somethin like dat

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
bern welcomes all, tho reinforcement is obv preferable.

We are relatively speaking in very good shape generally and particularly for current cup run.
Current cup run:
I expect we should prevail over Canes, who will not be pushover, but on paper we are better overall roster and while any G can get hot at any time, enuf to be a dif maker, Shesty/Quick is WAY better.
Final conference round, expect Panthers. We are IMO super slim favorites (11 in 20 or 55-45). We could lose, but we should win.
Cup finals: have to see who WC rep is, but on paper if I am not mistaken only one that owned us entirely was VAN. If they are the rep, we will have to solve that they were a faster team who overcame our def to prevail.
If not 'nucks, who? If Oil, we have to be careful. We had portions of games we were dominant up 3, 4 goals, then complete reverse.

Overall:
there is an ongoing need to constantly upgrade.
In POs, you want to do what we are doing, sweep, let next rounders beat themselves while we heal.
To do that you need sufficient horses to not merely compete, but dominate.
We are doing well in part b'c Panarin is playing smarter, not nec harder.
But he should not get remotely close to 11.6+m when he renews after next season, which should mean to avoid a bad look, he will consent [waive] to us moving him mid next season. All teams recognize hard cap reality, and those funds are needed to extend core pieces and add replacement.
Ditto Trouba
We need to follow bern mantra, which, exceptions notwithstanding, sell vets to keep fresh foundation of quality youth, Costs experience, but higher energy and cheaper cap hits justify.

somethin like dat
I’ll never read your posts entirely because of the 24 hour day and all of that but you’re a good dude and fun member of this board. Keep rocking those 5th round / 6th round swap trades, one day GMs will catch up to you.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I’ll never read your posts entirely because of the 24 hour day and all of that but you’re a good dude and fun member of this board. Keep rocking those 5th round / 6th round swap trades, one day GMs will catch up to you.

If you move to Mars you'd get an extra 37 minutes per day. Plenty of time to read Bern's posts, or do literally anything else.

• Haha
Reactions: dangsLITE

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Luke Hughes getting that Calder spot because they needed a third guy.
Was thinking the same thing last night.

Hes going to be a very good player and had a very productive rookie year as a defenseman, but did they watch the games or are just basing it on point production alone? His defensive game was atrocious. Im not huge into the stat, but -25 is a little telling.

Of course theres time to develop in that regard, its a very difficult position. But man, theres two sides to the game

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Was thinking the same thing last night.

Hes going to be a very good player and had a very productive rookie year as a defenseman, but did they watch the games or are just basing it on point production alone? His defensive game was atrocious. Im not huge into the stat, but -25 is a little telling.

Of course theres time to develop in that regard, its a very difficult position. But man, theres two sides to the game
Everyone on that team had a drop of roughly 20 +/-. That's all coaching. Still, a lot more negative than a lot of guys that went from +25 to -5.

Still not great. He's worse than his avg teammate, but not waaay worse than your average NHLer.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Everyone on that team had a drop of roughly 20 +/-. That's all coaching. Still, a lot more negative than a lot of guys that went from +25 to -5.

Still not great. He's worse than his avg teammate, but not waaay worse than your average NHLer.
He's basically just not ready for the burden they put on him. He's got all the tools and all but he's not a #1 dman, he makes a ton of mistakes that are covered up by him being competent in the offensive zone. I assume he'll be good in the future but you never know, progression isn't linear etc etc

Reactions: Kendo

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Yeah I don't see a big issue. Rangers have $10.5 mil to deal with RFA's Kakko, Schneider and Lindgren. I don't see any of them breaking the bank. I'm not that worried about losing Wennberg or Roslovic and FWIW I don't think Alex is worth the $4.5 or Jack the $4 that they're making now. Chytil coming back would make Wennberg kind of superfluous anyway. I wasn't a big fan of Wheeler's so that leaves Gustafsson who was a dumpster diving pickup and we'll probably have enough cap space to pick up another one or even two of them if we feel like. Jones played pretty well when he played though. I suspect both Rempe and Edstrom are going to be cheap ELC's for us next year. Absolutely sure about Rempe to be honest. The way Mancini is finishing off the season he might be another possibility. We do seem to have several cheap in house solution options. Unless the Rangers go out and spend massively on someone (say like Guentzel) we seem to be ahead of the curve as far as the Cap.

Reactions: bernmeister

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Getting rid of both Severson and Graves hurt the Devils a lot. When Hamilton got hurt that compounded their issues on D massively. I don't think they were ready for Luke to be their #1 for at least a couple more years but there they were already. And Nemec was thrown in the deep water too. And that also bled into their goaltending taking a shit or at least it never stabilized to the point where they were ever a serious threat to make a playoff run. Up front Jack is a great offensive player but he's not a great two way player and he's also still a bit frail and injury prone. Hischier's also still kind of a kid and not really good captain material yet. Bratt's kind of like Jack fast and offensively talented but that's it. I can't think that a lot of Devils fans wonder about Meier as well. They spent massively on him in assets traded and then on his new contract and he only starts producing about the time their season has gone kaputt.

Well I don't like the Devils much or really at all. They've got some real offensive talent. They need to reestablish their defense and goaltending to get back to the playoffs. Hamilton returning should help that a lot. I'm not sure it will be enough on its own.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Carolina has $27 mil to work with this summer but this is a team that may have a short window to win in. This summer they have RFA's Necas, Jarvis and Drury and UFA's Guentzel, Teravainen, Noesen, Martinook and half their defense Skjei, Pesce, Chatfield and DeAngelo. The summer before 25-26 UFA's Kuznetsov, Fast, Lemieux and the other half of their defense Burns, Slavin and Orlov + Andersen. Re-signing just Necas and Jarvis this summer should at least eat half of that $27 million. They're looking then at re-signing their entire defense corps over this summer and next + Teravainen + Guentzel + Andersen ++++ and it doesn't stop for 25-26. They're going to bleed some really good players over the next two summers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad