Proposal: Roster Building Thread Part X: I Get No Points Out of You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Me? In this thread, no. But the post you quoted was clearly a reply to one saying nash only had one good season, using stats to point out that he'd more than that. It had nothing to do with 2017...
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the point of the post stating Nash only had one good year was that Nash isn’t any longer delivering on what he was originally paid to provide this team. It is relevant to the discussion to point out that there was a notable dropoff in output, and that Nash is unlikely to once again perform like he used to.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We both know the Rangers are going to have the googley eyes for Tkachuk

True, though this is a really good draft and we aren't good so they better not take him unless we are talking outside the top 10. People here complain about Andersson not having that much skill, they'll say the same things about Tkachuk Jr, he's no Matt.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Quick flash poll for you all out there:

Scale of 1-10

What's your level of interest in the team this year?

Mine: 2.6

Saw the crap coming after pre-season game #5... made a call as to how vested I'd be... tuning out earlier than I thought I would.

What about the rest of you?

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the point of the post stating Nash only had one good year was that Nash isn’t any longer delivering on what he was originally paid to provide this team. It is relevant to the discussion to point out that there was a notable dropoff in output, and that Nash is unlikely to once again perform like he used to.

It may have been. But again, saying he only had 1 good year is false, and that in turn has nothing to do with Nash in 2017.

If we want to go down the "what he's paid to do" route, he was paid to be a scoring threat (overpaid, but thats whay CBJ felt they had to do) which he's been when healthy.
Nash's GPG as a ranger is .03 less than his time as a Jacket, he just cant play out a full season any more. Is that his fault? I guess yeah. Should the rangers have been aware he was likely to start breaking down around that age? Again most likely. Was Nash ever going to be the 'answer' on his own? Not based on what we saw in Colombus, and that was him in his prime.
Outside of that terrible playoff :( i think we got what we could resonably expect out of nash. I think the rangers thought he was a different player to what he was, he was injured more often/more seriously than they hoped, and none of our prospects developed to give us thay 1-2 punch that we needed

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY

Scale of 1-10

Saw the crap coming after pre-season game #5... made a call as to how vested I'd be... tuning out earlier than I thought I would.

10. It's way too early for me to check out. Even if it ends up being a lost season, I'll still watch almost every game. Hockey is my favorite sport by a mile. Need my Rangers fix. Even when they're losing I still find it worthwhile. I was molded by the Dark Ages.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

Scale of 1-10

Definitely less than I cared last year. Like what they did with the D but not enough of a plan down the middle for my liking. I'm not really happy with the off season or that we're carrying extra D up the wazoo while struggling defensively down the center of the ice. That, coupled with a team that looks strangely apathetic at the beginning of every game, makes this team harder to watch.

Last year 7-8 - I got about what I expected. Made the playoffs and had a chance to take out Ottawa and failed.

This year 5-6. I'm sticking with my preseason thought that this team isn't a playoff team as currently constructed. We'll see. Won't need to dig this hole much deeper than it already is.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
10. It's way too early for me to check out. Even if it ends up being a lost season, I'll still watch almost every game. Hockey is my favorite sport by a mile. Need my Rangers fix. Even when they're losing I still find it worthwhile. I was molded by the Dark Ages.

#Respect

I'd consider myself a hardcore fan... hell any of the regulars on here are hardcore... but it's interesting to see where the threshold lays.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Definitely less than I cared last year. Like what they did with the D but not enough of a plan down the middle for my liking. I'm not really happy with the off season or that we're carrying extra D up the wazoo while struggling defensively down the center of the ice. That, coupled with a team that looks strangely apathetic at the beginning of every game, makes this team harder to watch.

Last year 7-8 - I got about what I expected. Made the playoffs and had a chance to take out Ottawa and failed.

This year 5-6. I'm sticking with my preseason thought that this team isn't a playoff team as currently constructed. We'll see. Won't need to dig this hole much deeper than it already is.

Yeah I hear you.. I thought there was a path last year... but not competing against OTT.. that wasn't acceptable.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
https://www.fanragsports.com/mckenzie-no-sense-of-urgency-on-nash-contract-extension-front/

McKenzie thinks Nash will be traded between now and the deadline, assuming the Rangers continue on this trajectory.

But he also wants to re-sign here. I wonder, assuming mutual interest, if he's traded before the deadline, maybe wins the Cup, and then re-signs with the Rangers next summer at a huge discount.

The Tkachuk?

I think he's traded pretty much no matter what. It would be stupid for Gorton to not use that chip to bring in longer term assets. If Nash wants to come back, great. They'll talk on July 1st.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
https://www.fanragsports.com/mckenzie-no-sense-of-urgency-on-nash-contract-extension-front/

McKenzie thinks Nash will be traded between now and the deadline, assuming the Rangers continue on this trajectory.

But he also wants to re-sign here. I wonder, assuming mutual interest, if he's traded before the deadline, maybe wins the Cup, and then re-signs with the Rangers next summer at a huge discount.

Rick's a classy guy so I'll give him that... but f*** him. f*** him and the walking embodiment of a welfare state that he is.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Gorton should be moving Nash at the deadline. Maybe this turns into another Vermette situation

Trade Nash at the deadline with 50% retained. He'll bring back a 1st+

Signs back with the team during the summer

Although, depending on the price, I'd be interested in JVR or Atkinson in lieu of Nash

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
My interest plummeted after Chytil went down. It’s a pain enough to watch the games out of state but I’ve tried my best.

I have no problem watching a rebuilding team, but I have a problem watching a team that is going halfway and not doing either that or contending.

As I’ve said, the Rangers need to be buyers now for the next two years because it would be very irresponsible to pay the McDonagh extension as the team is currently constructed; therefore that’s the end of the window. I would have rather they didn’t sign Shattenkirk or Smith and traded McDonagh and signaled a rebuild; which probably would have been quick - the Rangers have too many good young forwards to go back into the dark ages assuming they are developed correctly. The young pieces are there but they aren’t ready so I would have preferred the extra cap space.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Hopefully we are able to add Dahlin/Svechnikov/Boqvist/Veleno to the mix, preferably Dahlin who would turn around the franchise by himself. If we get a top pick in this draft, we seem set. This draft has some of those impact players. We need one or two more of those impact players. We already have Buch, Skjei, Miller, Ziba to go along with those players, so we have some pieces, just need to add one or two more elite pieces, and then we are good to start contending again in another few years.
Setting aside any other aspects of a tank, this is not like when the Pens obviously gave it up to get Lemieux. We can't assume anything. Best case scenario if we don't turn it around --- which I believe is still possible if we move the senior vets and the hungry young core = lightning in a bottle --- is we just make the lottery and luck into a top selection.
More realistically, do the deals I posted in my last multiplayer scenario, and then you can choose between multiple 2018 1sts OR possibly dealing lots of goodies to #1 selecting team.

Rick's a classy guy so I'll give him that... but **** him. **** him and the walking embodiment of a welfare state that he is.
tell us how you REALLY feel:laugh:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
My interest plummeted after Chytil went down. It’s a pain enough to watch the games out of state but I’ve tried my best.

I have no problem watching a rebuilding team, but I have a problem watching a team that is going halfway and not doing either that or contending.

As I’ve said, the Rangers need to be buyers now for the next two years because it would be very irresponsible to pay the McDonagh extension as the team is currently constructed; therefore that’s the end of the window. I would have rather they didn’t sign Shattenkirk or Smith and traded McDonagh and signaled a rebuild; which probably would have been quick - the Rangers have too many good young forwards to go back into the dark ages assuming they are developed correctly. The young pieces are there but they aren’t ready so I would have preferred the extra cap space.

Buying right now would be the most panic thing ever and would be more of the "going half way" that you're suggesting.

It's too early to early to wave the white flag, but there is zero reason to make a panic move right now. Let this group prove that they can string together a few wins and we can go from there.

If they can, we can revisit plugging holes. IF they can't, there is no reason to buy what so ever.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Buying right now would be the most panic thing ever and would be more of the "going half way" that you're suggesting.

It's too early to early to wave the white flag, but there is zero reason to make a panic move right now. Let this group prove that they can string together a few wins and we can go from there.

If they can, we can revisit plugging holes. IF they can't, there is no reason to buy what so ever.

Getting Shattenkirk and Smith was buying and going halfway. They mortgaged their cap so they could have two more years. They really can’t rebuild now without going into full collapse as they are cap committed.

The team signaled they still think they could contend when they spent 11 million on Shattenkirk and Smith. Those aren’t retool signings. The problem is, they didn’t go all the way.

They have enough talent that they could have done this very quickly, but now they need to waste more time figuring out if they or good or not. This is very bad organizational strategy

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Gorton should be moving Nash at the deadline. Maybe this turns into another Vermette situation

Trade Nash at the deadline with 50% retained. He'll bring back a 1st+

Signs back with the team during the summer

Although, depending on the price, I'd be interested in JVR or Atkinson in lieu of Nash

I wish you were right on this one. I don't think Nash brings back a first especially in this upcoming draft. maybe a second and low level prospect??? Unless his goal scoring dramatically picks up which i don't see

I can't imagine Columbus would let Atkinson get away. Not sure how They are doing capwise?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Guys just throwing this one out there. Would any of you trade Buch straight up for Alex Galchenyuk? I wouldn't .
Or Kevin Hayes (would think about it). Probably would require an add since AG hasn't really proved he can play both ends of the ice.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I wish you were right on this one. I don't think Nash brings back a first especially in this upcoming draft. maybe a second and low level prospect??? Unless his goal scoring dramatically picks up which i don't see
Ya’ll may not like Nash, but he’s bringing back more than a second and low prospect

Roman Polak, who is garbage, returned two 2nds

We paid two 2nds and a B prospect for Eric Staal

Nash would be the top rental forward on the market, he’ll bring back more than you and others are giving credit for

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Ya’ll may not like Nash, but he’s bringing back more than a second and low prospect

Roman Polak, who is garbage, returned two 2nds

We paid two 2nds and a B prospect for Eric Staal

Nash would be the top rental forward on the market, he’ll bring back more than you and others are giving credit for

Time will tell I hope you are right. In reality we will never know if Gorton has already tried to trade Nash but has declined due to "lowball" offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->