Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part VI: Gorton's Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I figured Sheahan would basically be a Callahan type of player if everything went well and fit in as a 2nd/3rd line tweener. Suffice to say, that didn't come together.

What about Cap space? We have $3 million free. Sheahan eats up 2/3 of that. We would need to move some pieces to also fit in AA.

With 11 forwards signed (and Franzen hitting LTIR), that would leave Detroit with 9 signed forwards if we're taking AA and Sheahan. Even if they call up Frk and Svechnikov, they're short.

It would be nice to get both AA and Sheahan, but I think Detroit would be unwise to sell low on Sheahan after last year at a time when they're looking to rebuild. No harm for them in waiting and seeing.

That would give the Rangers 14 forwards and 7 defensemen though. Most likely they cut that down. Say Puempel goes the other way, that's another $725k available. Holden dealt in another deal and there is the cap space.

$2.075 for Sheahan
$2.1 for AA
.925m in for Bereglazov
+$4.175m in

$3.05m in cap space
.725m Puempel out
$1.65m Holden out
-$5.425m

That leaves the difference, $1.25m in cap space to start the season.

Also Fast starts the year on IR

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Sure they do. Statistically, its about a 33% chance that they play 100 games. What you're saying is that you would rather keep a 2nd rounder who has a low % of becoming a full time NHLer instead of trading it for a kid who is already an NHLer and still has some upside.

Got it. :laugh:

You are right. In fact even the 3 second round players mentioned in the quoted post went back to the 2004 draft.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I'd be okay moving someone like Graves, as it seems like he's been pushed down by the likes of ADA, BearGloves and Pionk. This team needs to stop bleeding draft picks.

As a LHS, the only person in Graves' way is Bereglazov, who has yet to play a single NHL game. Graves and Day are the only LD prospects. That decision is a couple seasons off, yet, or around the time we'll be clamoring for a buyout of Smith's contract. If we move Staal this or next season, Graves is stepping up or we're acquiring someone else.

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
AA makes so much sense for the Rangers. Fits team identity. Rangers are also probably losing both Nash and Grabner next off-season and have no one to replace them in the system. Getting AA would help to keep good W depth and having that super fast player a la Hagelin or Michael.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
AA makes so much sense for the Rangers. Fits team identity. Rangers are also probably losing both Nash and Grabner next off-season and have no one to replace them in the system. Getting AA would help to keep good W depth and having that super fast player a la Hagelin or Michael.

Grabner should be re-signed this season. He shouldn't cost THAT much and he is a very nice complimentary piece on pretty much any line he is on. Gorton should make it a priority to keep him.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't know why you'd offer more than a 2nd as that's what the offer sheet compensation would be on a reasonable deal. Maybe you offer a player and a 3rd just to shed a contract.

Or maybe Holland just says **** it and lets him go, and doesn't entertain a trade that isn't an overpayment.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Grabner should be re-signed this season. He shouldn't cost THAT much and he is a very nice complimentary piece on pretty much any line he is on. Gorton should make it a priority to keep him.

I agree on this one, I would easily give Grabner $2.5M/year * 2 years. Guy has earned it and is a big part of this team.

Still think AA should be a target. I would offer sheet him if I was Gorton. it's not like Detroit will be in a position to match the offer sheet, nor will they have the assets or cap space to go after our players.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Wouldn't surprise to see Nash back Grabner Is going to get paid if he has another solid year.

This kid from Detroit fits in swimmingly. But we'll see. To me we are very thin right now up front don't see what the plan is here. If miller is a center which id love to see, then we are short on the wing.

I have no faith in an 18 year old Andersson contributing he should go back to Sweden. Way to young. Only star players should be brought up at that age.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Detroit offered 2x1.9 and AA wants more.

What's he looking for here? 2.5? 3? He had a 30 point pace and then a 40 point pace.

Not really a question on Lias. If he's not ready, don't force it. Let him develop.

Plan to move Miller to C, but you could also just leave it a competition in camp...all the potential Cs....Nieves, Fontaine, Tambo, Fogarty, Carey. Nieves might be the most likely of those. Could even bring in a guy like a Mitchell, Cramarossa, White, etc. on a PTO to make things interesting.

If it's Miller, either he or DD will center the fourth line, and I think it's a waste to put Miller there and DD's defense isn't impressive.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I agree on this one, I would easily give Grabner $2.5M/year * 2 years. Guy has earned it and is a big part of this team.

Still think AA should be a target. I would offer sheet him if I was Gorton. it's not like Detroit will be in a position to match the offer sheet, nor will they have the assets or cap space to go after our players.

If Grabner has another 20 goal season I think he might look for more than 2.5 mill. Might be above 4 mill.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Bobby Mac just said Edmonton is going to add an experienced defenseman. The optimist in me hopes that its Marc Staal. The realist in me knows there is zero chance of that happening.

Marc Staal + for RNH. We get our C. They save some cap space and add a defenseman. No idea what the + is. Win - Win.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Bobby Mac just said Edmonton is going to add an experienced defenseman. The optimist in me hopes that its Marc Staal. The realist in me knows there is zero chance of that happening.

Marc Staal + for RNH. We get our C. They save some cap space and add a defenseman. No idea what the + is. Win - Win.

Chiarelli is an idiot, so maybe this is possible, but I'm not betting on it

And it's really not much cap savings. 300K in savings isn't worth taking a walking traffic cone in Staal

His contract is unmovable. No one is taking him unless he puts up a Norris season this year (which let's be real, won't happen)

Holden to the Oilers is significantly more realistic

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Chiarelli is an idiot, so maybe this is possible, but I'm not betting on it

And it's really not much cap savings. 300K in savings isn't worth taking a walking traffic cone in Staal

His contract is unmovable. No one is taking him unless he puts up a Norris season this year (which let's be real, won't happen)

Holden to the Oilers is significantly more realistic

Gotta be Holden for a pick

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Would anyone do Miller and Skjei for Larkin and AA?

I like Larkin and AA, but I would definitely pass. Miller is the best offensive player in the trade, and Skjei is already challenging to be this team's second best defenseman (overall).

Skjei is also the hardest player in the deal to replace.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Las Vegas has a TON of defensemen that I am sure they are looking to move. That would seem like another likely partner

I'd do Holden for Khaira + late pick

Khaira would add some size and another young player to the bottom-6.

Rangers have a big edge over Vegas in trade market -- VGK moveables are mostly defensive defensemen, not offensive. Holden has offensive upside.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Would anyone do Miller and Skjei for Larkin and AA?

No and Larkin is very very good. IMO just harder to replace a Skjei like player especially on this team with who knows whats gonna happen with McDonagh when his deal is up.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I like Larkin and AA, but I would definitely pass. Miller is the best offensive player in the trade, and Skjei is already challenging to be this team's second best defenseman (overall).

Skjei is also the hardest player in the deal to replace.

Yeah, from my POV, I like Larkin much more than AA and I think Larkin has potential to become a very stronger leader. He has the talent and character to become a difference maker, kind of like Bergeron in his own way.

I think Skjei's potential is sick. OTOH, hard to replace? Just resign McD. Smith and Holden. Bereglazov. Graves. And so forth. There are sooo many good LDs out there. It's the deepest skating position for sure.

I like Miller, to me he just lack a bit of "it" factor. He could be more talented, he could be smarter, he could be more of a winner. In the right deal I would deal him.

For me it's kind of like, I would be intrigued of getting Larkin, OTOH the price of Skjei and Miller is incredibly steep.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yeah, from my POV, I like Larkin much more than AA and I think Larkin has potential to become a very stronger leader. He has the talent and character to become a difference maker, kind of like Bergeron in his own way.

I think Skjei's potential is sick. OTOH, hard to replace? Just resign McD. Smith and Holden. Bereglazov. Graves. And so forth. There are sooo many good LDs out there. It's the deepest skating position for sure.

I like Miller, to me he just lack a bit of "it" factor. He could be more talented, he could be smarter, he could be more of a winner. In the right deal I would deal him.

For me it's kind of like, I would be intrigued of getting Larkin, OTOH the price of Skjei and Miller is incredibly steep.

You have to factor in age when you're mentioning McDonagh, Holden, Smith, etc replacing Skjei. Kid is an absolute horse and only 23 years old.

I like Larkin a lot, but like you said, the price is very steep. I think we lose that trade in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad