Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part V: Strangers in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Would also love Athanasiou. But I think Holland would ask for a lot unfortunately.

Situation there is clearly Athanasiou and his Agent thinking they have Detroit by the balls because the team is rebuilding and he is one of the guys who fans will still come to see regardless of the new arena.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Why is Holland trading AA based on something other than a pointless article some random person posted here?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Because Holland is not a good GM?

I won't argue his contract negotiation skills because he's given out some of the worst in the league, but is there any precedence for him trading a young guy like AA? His last few trades are weird, but he did get some decent value from the Smith trade

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Jagr is too slow for Florida. How is he not too slow for any of our four lines?

it isnt about assembling the 12 fastest skaters

its about moving miller to the 3C which addresses our hole and adding a proven scorer and possession monster who's shown the ability to get you 40-45 points in his sleep. he would be an asset on the pp and could take a regular shift 5v5 with 2 faster line mates.

i see no down side whatsoever.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I won't argue his contract negotiation skills because he's given out some of the worst in the league, but is there any precedence for him trading a young guy like AA? His last few trades are weird, but he did get some decent value from the Smith trade

No. There is no real prededence here. However, it is an odd situation that does not reflect well on Holland.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Why not just offer sheet AA? Compensation would likely only be a 2nd.

they would match and it would accomplish nothing.. plus det is the old guard we would never OS them and vice/versa..

i think we should try and get him.. give lias time and AA could always be shifted to wing when lias comes/nash's deal expires.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
So now that the whole Kerfoot hullabaloo is over, what are rhe chances we could snag Adam Gaudette out of Vancouver? Going into his junior year at Northeastern and had 52 points last year. Righty center with a strong two way game and skill

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
they would match and it would accomplish nothing.. plus det is the old guard we would never OS them and vice/versa..

i think we should try and get him.. give lias time and AA could always be shifted to wing when lias comes/nash's deal expires.

Detroit has serious cap problems.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Detroit is roughly $3M over the cap right now without AA signed. That being said, Franzen is likely to go on LTIR once the season begins.

Still...that's an issue depending on how long they have to wait to do that once the regular season starts. I don't recall the time frame before the LTIR window opens.

nyr5186

May 12, 2002
New Orleans
Visit site
I have no problem giving some kids an opportunity to win a spot or two in the bottom six to start the season. If guys like Andersson, Nieves, etc step up and play well, great. If not, it shouldnt be too difficult to find a Dom Moore-type checking center in waivers or via trade.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Detroit is roughly $3M over the cap right now without AA signed. That being said, Franzen is likely to go on LTIR once the season begins.

Still...that's an issue depending on how long they have to wait to do that once the regular season starts. I don't recall the time frame before the LTIR window opens.

https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq

I believe players can officially be placed on LTIR about a week before the season begins. Bottom line is that they can be over the cap when the season starts provided that 1) they place a player on LTIR to begin the season and 2) that player's AAV is >= the amount they are over the cap.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
You're the second person who mentioned Smith being an insurance policy. I don't get it - where did this notion come from? There're are three spots to fill at 3D. If Shattenkirk and Smith are not signed who plays there? Do you seriously think it would be Holden, Bereglazov and DeAngelo? :shakehead

Eh, didn't I write that in response to someone claiming that he was insurance and my message was that if that was the case he wasn't a good option for that? ;) I certainly didn't call him insurance.

As for your other question. Holden plays at RD if we have a need there. I am far from his biggest fan -- but he can hold a spot. DeAngelo is not a 19 y/o. He played what almost a third of last season and is 22 y/o. If we have an opening, I think it would be his to lose. If we didn't sign either Shatty or Smith, would Bereglazov still be the 3rd RD. I am very far from Bereglazov being able to play RD, would be a big handicap for him.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I really could have cared less about kerfoot what I care about is moving Holden. That needs to be done. Don't bring this guy to camp with all those talent kids here fighting for a couple spots. I'm amazed this hasn't been done yet

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I really could have cared less about kerfoot what I care about is moving Holden. That needs to be done. Don't bring this guy to camp with all those talent kids here fighting for a couple spots. I'm amazed this hasn't been done yet

It's astounding that Staal wasn't bought out and Holden is still here. Yuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad