Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
At the time these deals were made Kreider’s was a lot more controversial. Given the circumstances (you described them) and terms of contracts I absolutely don’t feel like giving Gorton hard time.

I couldn’t agree more. Trouba got paid but he was a big catch at the time. His first year in blue didn’t live up to the contract and hype but he can definitely still be 90% of what we thought he would when we signed him, even if slightly overpaid. We need to get him with a solid complimentary partner as soon as possible (hopefully next year). Kreider is Kreider. Great guy, homegrown, valuable in many ways but a touch overpaid and doesn’t truly fit the timeline. The length is definitely questionable but, again, such is life. No one knew we’d win the #1 pick or get saddled with a flat salary cap. I have no qualms.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Which would still allow them to sign a veteran forward on the cheap. Maybe 2 depending on how they navigated the roster moves. Granlund/Haula/Boyle all still possibilities.

If they can get Strome for $4MM and Lemiuex for say $1.25, that would leave them with about $1.5MM. They need to leave around $1MM of operating cap space. That leaves $500K. One or two of PDG, Bitteto, Blackwell or Rooney will start the season in the AHL.

They would be able to sign 1 vet if they wanted to I think.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
ADA at 4.8M is great and will make him a very movable asset if he has even 90% as productive of a season. Term isn’t great for us, but also isn’t bad because it lets us evaluate and potentially adjust. Overall, damn good.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If they can get Strome for $4MM and Lemiuex for say $1.25, that would leave them with about $1.5MM. They need to leave around $1MM of operating cap space. That leaves $500K. One or two of PDG, Bitteto, Blackwell or Rooney will start the season in the AHL.

They would be able to sign 1 vet id they wanted to I think.

they also gain back the $4 mil of bonus space...so we should be good with operating space during the season if deals are needed. plus by the deadline we'll have a pretty clear picture of how many bonuses are attainable

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
At least kaapo Kakko had 23 pts season +2 points more than Jack Hughes, but I am not thrilled about that performance. And just wait on our new draft signing and I am glad Alexis Lafrenieres is from NA to be honest and can actually play hockey properly. :nod:

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Would have preferred a long deal for ADA but understand that probably wasn’t in the cards for a lot of reasons.

That’s a very good contract. Good on DeAngelo.

If the NYR are as interested in trading him as has been rumored would think that contract at minimum doesn’t hurt a deal. Could be traded next offseason and acquiring teams gets one year of a good hit and then one more RFA year to average down the cap hit if they want to lock him up.

And if he regresses, still on a totally moveable deal. It makes sense.

Reactions: mas0764

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I couldn’t agree more. Trouba got paid but he was a big catch at the time. His first year in blue didn’t live up to the contract and hype but he can definitely still be 90% of what we thought he would when we signed him, even if slightly overpaid. We need to get him with a solid complimentary partner as soon as possible (hopefully next year). Kreider is Kreider. Great guy, homegrown, valuable in many ways but a touch overpaid and doesn’t truly fit the timeline. The length is definitely questionable but, again, such is life. No one knew we’d win the #1 pick or get saddled with a flat salary cap. I have no qualms.

TBH, I didn’t think Kreider got overpaid at $6.5 then (and now after we saw what Gallagher got). My concern was the term but I recall his NTC is lifted after four-years which is when we are likely to start seeing diminishing performance.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Tony is our young star defender so an important signing - imagine Rangers without him kind of boring hockey without his accurate breakthrough passes! ;)

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I was dead wrong on the Georgiev contract. But, I also only expected a 1 year deal. The 2 year deal makes sense from a trade-attractiveness standpoint I'd think.

This ADA is great. Great for keeping him because the number is relatively low, we hold his RFA rights still after, it keeps him hungry, etc. And, it also looks good for trade bait.

Very good day for Gorton. The cap picture is becoming clearer.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
The 2020-2021 New York Rangers Schedule has not been released yet

What is the latest rumor any updated?

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Panarin - Strome - Kakko
Lafrenière - Howden - Gauthier
Lemieux - Chytil - Di Giuseppe

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Which would still allow them to sign a veteran forward on the cheap. Maybe 2 depending on how they navigated the roster moves. Granlund/Haula/Boyle all still possibilities.

Keep in mind that they want to keep some wiggle room throughout the season.

Strome is really the leaning 10 pin for us. If hes gone, then they'll obviously need to get a replacement. If he stays, I think we're pretty much done for the offseason.

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
Great contract for TDA. I didn’t anticipate the Rangers being this capped out this offseason(I wasn’t familiar with the bonuses coming out of the cap). But I think it’s been probably the best offseason we could ask for.

Still hoping Gorton pulls a 2C rabbit out of his hat... but if not, our future remains bright. Probably compete for a playoff spot - worst case next offseason we have all the cap in the world, plus the expansion draft will present opportunities for us. And MSG money means we won’t be held back by finances either.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Panarin - Strome - Kakko
Lafrenière - Howden - Gauthier
Lemieux - Chytil - Di Giuseppe

We need our top prospect on the two top lines so swap Buch with Lafrenière. :thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad