Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXVII: Another Thread Bites The Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
So I guess CBJ is about to add Kovalchuk?

Or someone via trade?

The timing on this Hartnell buyout is odd. They protected him in the draft due to his NMC.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If we add Takchyov, would people have a problem trading a winger for a center? After trading Stepan and Brassard, I wouldn't be surprised if Nash and/or Zuccarello is traded as well

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Nash+ for Galchenyuk/RNH/Wennberg/Duchene would definitely get my attention

The only one of those guys Nash gets is RNH, and Nash might waive NMC if he is going to a Canadian team. That being said:

CK-MZ-PB
JV-RNH-MZA
JTM-KH-MG

Keeps the team very balanced. Need to add two penalty killers (Boyle? Rasmussen?) but it might be better than last year. If they can add Shattenkirk the defensive unit is much improved as well. Get a good back up like Nilsson and they are in business.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
In regards to the performances bonuses mentioned in the prior thread, they can't be based on how much cap space you have left at the end of the year. Performance bonuses, as one might guess, are based on performance.

Only certain players can receive performance bonuses as part of their contract. Players on ELCs can receive them. 35 or older players (which Hartnell is), or players who missed a significant amount of time due to injury in the previous year, can receive them on a 1 year deal. Anything more than 1 year is not eligible.

I'm not sure exactly which performance bonuses someone like Hartnell would be eligible for. It might only be games played.

Performance bonuses aren't a way to get around the cap. If they are earned, they count against the cap. If there isn't enough space left to fully pay the bonuses, the remainder rolls over into the following season.

Shanahan signed deals like this with us in 06-07 and again in 07-08.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Friedman says Buffalo is "making a big play" for SK.

Also says NYR have told teams they aren't going to be "as crazy" in the open market as they have been....

Last edited:

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Sign Sam Gagner at whatever he'd cost - $4-4.5m range for 4-5 years? Younger than Stepan, guarantees you 40-50 pts as opposed to Stepan's 50-60, but he's slightly younger, way faster, and performs well in a 3C role. Very good possession numbers. Could be a great addition on a third line with Nash and Buch.

Ideally, I'd like to see us do something like:

Re-sign Fast at $2m-2.5m AAV,
Re-sign Zibanejad at $4.5-4.7 long term
Sign Sam Gagner at $4-4.5 no more than 5 years
Sign Anders Nilsson at $1-2m, or bring in whatever respectable backup who can be had for $1.5m or less.

Gives us something like:

Kreids - Zibby - Zucc
Miller - Hayes - Grabner
Nash - Gagner - Buchnevich
Vesey - Boo - Fast

McD - Smith
Skjei - DeAngelo
Staal - Pionk

7D: Holden/Bereglazov/Graves

Hank
Nilsson

Plenty of cap room left for flexibility, and depending on how people's seasons are going, we could always move Nash's expiring and bump Vesey up, or if Boo is struggling make a deal for a 4C, or if the forwards are all doing well but D is struggling, pull off a larger trade involving either Miller or Buchnevich for a top pairing D.

This depth chart alone, depending on who lives up to expectations (or doesn't), could wind up being much better than what we had last year. Equal or better production from forwards, but a faster, more offensively inclined D corps. If we made these moves, and then got crazy and still signed Shattenkirk (could barely work if we moved around some other salary), suddenly this team can compete. Don't want Shatty, but would be interesting if we went "all in".

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Buffalo is going to overpay to get Shattenkirk.

Damn shame.

He doesn't have to go to the highest bidder though. But Buff would be a good spot for him. About 5 hour drive from home, young up and coming team, he'd be by far their best defenseman.

I'm still hoping we sign him.

McD-Shatty
Skjei-Smith

is a bonafide cup contender top 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad